Xbox Live users can now easily migrate their accounts to new regions

Wednesday, 16th January 2013 14:08 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Xbox Live users can now migrate their accounts to new regions more easily than before. In beta earlier this month, the account migration page has now been updated to make the region switch easier. Users can keep their gamerscore, Achievements, MS Points, and all other accumulated figures. However, they will no longer have access to region specific apps or subscriptions. This includes content, even in game, which is blocked due to various countries’ “legal obligations or regional restrictions.” Hit up the service for more or click the link. Thanks, Joystiq.

1. OlderGamer

Wouldn’t it be nice if one day where you lived didn’t limit you to what games you can play/buy? This must be esp bad as we get to the digital age. I have several consoles in my game room that I have imported, but if there are no physical discs anymore…what will people import?

Guess score one for making multiple accounts across regions.

2. Dragon246

Do it fast Sony!
    This is a great feature by MS. Really helps travellers and will especially helpful in psn due to its regional silo system.

3. theevilaires

What?! wait I’m a bit confused. You’re telling me if I have a USA 360 and I move to Kangarooland I won’t be able to use certain content that I was using when I was back in the states? Like certain DLC won’t work because it will realize I’m in the a different region of the world? I don’t get this really I’m kinda confused how this could happen.

I know on PS3 I can access the European,China,and Japanese stores by making another account with a bogus address from that region but I’ve always been allowed to use content from those places even while here.

“Users can keep their gamerscore, Achievements, MS Points, and all other accumulated figures. However, they will no longer have access to region specific apps or subscriptions. This includes content, even in game, which is blocked due to various countries’ “legal obligations or regional restrictions.”

I get it but I don’t get it…..ok never mind I just really got it :D but its stupid because why would you want to live anywhere else but America right :P They have the full XBOX LIVE exp here.

4. Ireland Michael

@3 The vast majority of the content on the Xbox 360 is available in all the major regions.

It has nothing to do with where you are. If you move to Kangarooland, you can still access the content on your account. It’s not about the IP address.

It’s only if you migrate your account over to a new region (so you can use, say, MS Point cards from Australia), then there might be one or two really obscure games or a movie that no longer works because they weren’t released in that region.

PS3 doesn’t even have this option. Then again, it’s region splitting of content is an utter mess.

5. theevilaires

^ ahh I would expect you of all people to know the ends and out of XBOX LIVE. Thanks for clearing that up. If you ever need info about anything PlayStation I’ll be more than happy to chime in and help ;)

6. Stephany Nunneley

@5 But say you move to Strictasssuperdupercontrolfreakland, and you have “Bloody game has lots of blood” on disc, you won’t be able to download any DLC for it, basically if it is “outlawed”.

7. Ireland Michael

@5 I already know the ins and out of the PlayStation, thanks.

@6 You gotta feel bad for the people of Strictasssuperdupercontrolfreakland. =(

8. Stephany Nunneley

@7 I know. Makes me feel terrible.

9. Dragon246

Sony really should ditch this utterly pathetic regional psn system. It sucks. I assume ps4 wont be able to even make multiple accounts easily since that is what is happening with vita.
    Someone with brains should make them understand that region locking sucks, whether in digital or retail.
    @Tea
    Its simple enough You wont be able to watch bbc in us. If those things aren’t available in the territory you are changing to then you will lose those services. Although I hope they have some refund schemes for that.
    I am really angry now. Was waiting for orgarhythm only to find out now that is not available in my country.