Miiverse will be “huge” once it hits 3DS, says Iwata

Wednesday, 16th January 2013 22:05 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Miiverse isn’t a competitor to existing social networks but a place for gamers to share their experiences with those who understand them – and it’s going to be “huge” once it arrives on 3DS, according to Nintendo president and CEO Satoru Iwata.

“Once the Miiverse hits the 3DS, it will be huge. Just imagine the possibilities of playing Animal Crossing: New Leaf while sharing your experiences on the Miiverse. Now that’s something,” Iwata said in a Nikkei interview translated by Siliconera.

Iwata said he’s noticed that people don’t talk as much about Nintendo on Twitter since Miiverse launched, because those conversations now take place inside Miiverse.

“When we first thought of Miiverse, we were told that it would be a bad idea after considering the likes of social networks such as Facebook and Twitter,” he said.

“After doing some more brainstorming, we decided to stick to the idea we wanted to see. The results ended up being something many people enjoy today.”

Iwata seems to have been vindicated, and justified his faith in the additional social service by pointing out that broad social networks don’t necessarily cater to gaming fans.

“The primary use of Twitter and Facebook is not gaming, but a means of communication. Although I don’t use either of them, if I did, I imagine I’d use it to talk about my outings and vacations to people who aren’t exactly video game enthusiasts,” he said.

“I don’t think my former classmates would care to hear about my new Mario Kart record and so on.”

I don’t know how I feel about being ghettoised because of my hobby as if it were something “normal” people don’t need to hear about, but Iwata put a different spin on it, saying that it creates a space for people to share experiences. something he and Shigeru Miyamoto are passionate about enabling.

“It was having those thoughts and feelings which eventually led to the creation of the Miiverse. Rather than social networking, we consider it an ‘experience sharing network,’” he said.

Currently exclusive to Wii U, Miiverse is also headed to PC and mobile devices after 3DS.

1. monkeygourmet

Seems legit

#1 1 year ago
  2. monkeygourmet

@ Brenna

Have you tried Miiverse on the Wii U yet?

#2 1 year ago
  3. daytripper

best thing about wii u is miiverse, the sense of community is great and I hope MS & Sony implement something similar for their new systems. great news for 3ds owners.

#3 1 year ago
  4. monkeygourmet

Yep, think it’ll only get better with the 3DS linked up too.

#4 1 year ago
  5. polygem

i miss it so much on the 3ds. miiverse is great and it’s very nextgen ;)

@3: i agree, the community is great (this far! these things evolve though). but atm it really is a fun place to be. no hating. never found anything like that yet. it’s almost like on a different planet. might just be a very keen censorship swat team…but it works.

#5 1 year ago
  6. BraveArse

Agreed, it’s a great system and I hope they develop it further. Already love the way the feed is integrated into SMBU. It’s like Dark Souls message system DNA written into the OS ( without the crushing, slicing and maiming).

I do find it funny seeing how each game’s community differs. SMBU’s is predictably fun and hugely creative with some amazing sketches; ZombiU’s is surprisingly friendly and possibly my favourite, I still pop in despite having finished it now; CoD’s is the closest to a ‘normal’ gaming forum, with a tad more aggression than the other two, but still, no actual nerd rage. The Fifa one is odd though. You never see much pop up from there on the home screen apart from the odd ” Man United” or ” Ronaldo or Messi?”

It’s a really off the wall feature but it works phenomenally well,

#6 1 year ago
  7. lexph3re

@daytripper you just made me think of how it would be if they made home for vita. That would be a nice usage for it

#7 1 year ago