Destiny universe reveal set for GDC 2013

Wednesday, 16th January 2013 21:42 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Bungie will discuss the process of creating a new fictional universe for the as yet unrevealed Destiny project during a session at GDC 2013.

The session, led by writer and design director Joe Staten and art director Christopher Barrett, is described on the conference schedule in such a way as to leave its subject matter in little doubt:

“Two decades of success in the gaming industry is no small feat, but after ten years of Halo, Bungie found themselves faced with a tremendous challenge: to build a whole new world, filled with even more amazing mysteries, places, creatures, and opportunities for player investment,” it reads.

“Attendees will walk away with key insights into Bungie’s battle-tested design process. They’ll get a glimpse of the brave new world that has been built, a place where the next ten years of great Bungie adventures will unfold.”

Bungie is working on a project code-named – or possibly actually titled – Destiny, which has not been officially revealed to the public, but has been the subject of several major information dumps.

Details of the decade-long contract between Bungie and Activision revealed a multi-game plan with core releases every second year offset by expansion packs, with the first to launch in 2013. Platforms are unconfirmed but current generation is expected.

A later marketing leak, which Bungie seemed to confirm as genuine, described the sci-fi universe as built from the ground up to be social, and set to delight your inner child as you and your friends come together to battle monsters.

Bungie’s sessions has not been dated, but GDC 2013 takes place from March 25 through 29, in San Francisco.

Thanks, Polygon.

1. polygem

:) :) :)

#1 1 year ago
  2. monkeygourmet

I hope it’s everything you have dreamed of! :)

#2 1 year ago
  3. monkeygourmet

Also, if this launched with 720 as a 6 month exclusive, would you instabuy?! :)

#3 1 year ago
  4. manamana

This is the shit!

#4 1 year ago
  5. daytripper

hopefully next gen will see MMO’s settle in on consoles

#5 1 year ago
  6. polygem

@2: lol. i try just to wait and see how things turn out, not to get hyped too much already, but this clearly has the potential to become the most awesome shit eeevvveeerrr!!!…damn it’s hopeless…

#6 1 year ago
  7. polygem

@3: tbh…i think so, yeah. if it will be what i hope it will be that is.

#7 1 year ago
  8. hives

#8 1 year ago
  9. OlderGamer

“If this will be MMOFPS, I’ll loose interest momentally. I want 100% solid single player experience.”

Why?

The thing about a lot of MMOs today is that they do offer great single player experiences…they are worked into the fabric of the game. Guild Wars 2, for example. I don’t I can’t play story driven sp games the way I once could. They lose me, I get bored. I mean a multiplayer co-op campagin? Played SP or in a group? Online or off? I don’t see the problem.

Unless you don’t have internet, but then if you have a bad isp, your prolly going to dislike the next gen and each one after that.

#9 1 year ago