Games not mentioned in US vice president’s gun violence prevention measures

Tuesday, 15th January 2013 21:21 GMT By Brenna Hillier

US vice president Joe Biden has presented 19 executive actions to president Barack Obama as part of a plan to reduce gun crime – and none of them mention video games in any way, according to a Politico report. Games were, as usual, highlighted by media and interest groups in the wake of the tragic events at Sandy Hook last year, but after meeting with games industry representatives the politician apparently decided to turn his attention to other potential causes for the US’s disturbingly high gun crime levels.

Thanks, GamesIndustry.

1. DSB

I don’t really see a reason to worry about videogames in the context of gun violence. People are abusing guns to kill eachother, not Nintendo Zappers. I just think it’s sad that people keep getting killed, school shootings or otherwise.

Sadly I don’t think all the good intentions in the world is going to move very much in the US. Remaining willfully ignorant has always been one of the freedoms afforded by the First Amendment.

2. Night Hunter

While guns may be the main cause of gun violence I do think that video games (among other forms of media) have to be at least considered in the debate, although I personally think that the causality is reversed. Not violent games/films make a person violent but violent people tend to play violent games/watch violent movies.

3. Ireland Michael

Oh look, I was right.

4. Strawb

#2: “Not violent games/films make a person violent but violent people tend to play violent games/watch violent movies.”
    I honestly find that very hard to believe. I don’t think there’s any causality either way.

5. tmac2011

im just thinking people are geting dumber and dumber and people need to stop being a wussay! there was another shooting that happen at stl art school guy webt in and just killed the financial aid. gun violence isnt the answer. stop being lazy and stop taking loans that you cant pay off. PEOPLE ARE DUMB!!

6. DSB

@4 I don’t think he was saying violent movies were a cause, but they obviously do intrigue people who are mentally unstable.

I don’t see how you can ban them on that basis though. Unbalanced people are prone to seek extremes and fixate on all kinds of things, from Catcher in the Rye to the Sony Corporation (Badam tsssssch). That’s no reason to ban either.

7. NeoSquall

Jack Thompson is not amused: -12

8. roadkill

Wow! It’s sad how these days the obvious makes the news.