SWTOR’s “gay planet” is behind a pay wall

Monday, 14th January 2013 23:37 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Star Wars: The Old Republic’s Rise of the Hutt Cartel expansion will finally deliver long-awaited same-sex romance options, a BioWare mainstay sadly missing from the MMORPG at launch. But as PCGamesN points out in a biting editorial, these new romance options will only be available on a single planet, Makeb, and you’ll have to be high level and fork out some cash in order to access it. Ouch. The expansion is due in northern spring.

1. DarkElfa

You should change the title of the article, nobody wants to see the game they enjoy straight out slandered on their favorite game news site.

#1 1 year ago
  2. SplatteredHouse

@1: The term isn’t exclusively being used at this site. It’s shorthand. Any connotation laid beyond that is yours. I don’t believe it should be changed, because the description is not being used in a derogatory manner.

#2 1 year ago
  3. monkeygourmet

Surely if anyone on this site thought this was a problem, they should have flagged it up before…

Rather than waiting for some movement from bioware, then sounding like you disapprove?

#3 1 year ago
  4. Hunam

I dunno, the headline is a bit on the nose.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Talkar

I’m with #1 on this one.
    Also, they have said they will add the romance options for existing companions so you don’t have to pay for the expansion. You just have to wait. But i guess it is always better to rile up a crowd than provide facts…
    boom facts: http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20130102

#5 1 year ago
  6. SplatteredHouse

There’s no judgement made of the content in the headline (indeed, it even has quotation marks around, to denote a common/slang term), nor is the terminology irresponsible. Writers need to be able to grab attention, fill readers in, and they need to be able to talk to their audience. Shorthand is a means of so doing.

#6 1 year ago
  7. monkeygourmet

Not really with certain topics.

Look at the Tomb Raider fiasco for example.

Even the end of the article has a touch of personal opinion: Ouch!

#7 1 year ago
  8. Talkar

^beat me to it…

#8 1 year ago
  9. SplatteredHouse

That same Tomb Raider fiasco that has been analysed and the attitude of media at the time, decried, around said subject? Borne as it was of zeroing in on what tiny extent of information had been made available at the time. Someone publicly mispoke! In the end, was nothing at all learned there, so the discussion better off not having been started – hardly.

The opinion present only goes as far as to suggest that it is a negative thing that the same-sex game options are restricted in terms of which players, and how long it could take for these players to experience that new content. From a player’s perspective, I imagine it very much is no good thing for any perceived restriction to content. I can also see such detail being appreciated, or at least useful in that case.

#9 1 year ago
  10. monkeygourmet

Article is littered with an agenda. That’s all.

I’m not saying its wrong, I don’t even play this game, but I would feel more balanced research should be available before making an opinion.

Loads of bullshit sensationalism in gaming journalism these days.

Maybe the article should start by asking Bioware about this issue?

Or better still, if Brenna felt it was pressing she could have outlined it before this happened?

Just a thought… :)

#10 1 year ago
  11. Puggy

I don’t know, the article seems fine by me. Some personal Opinion inside, though it might be just used as writing style, beside a lot of people come to the side to see a bit of personality from the writers, who they seem to trust. In the end I guess everyone has to decide for themself if they like it or not. Or to say it with the usual MMO-crowd way: “You don’t like it? Go back to pandaland n00b!”

Anyway, they never said the Same Sex Romances will be available to Free to Play people in the future. Merely that they will look for “more Option” (do not even mention Companions, only NPCs) sure that can mean f2p options, though does not necessarily mean that it won’t always be a pay to see version (what I would assume, since the option seems to be part of the “expansion”, which also adds 5 Levels if I got that right. So it is more like a Burning Crusade thing). In which case it would be like a cheap cam-person (male or female) teasing you with content, but only offering to really show it if you hand out cash…. or you watch the dialog and animation on youtube.

Still do not see what the big thing is about same sex relationships in this game anyway. Not like it has any impact what so ever on the story or character as far as I have seen.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Gheritt White

What’s wrong with describing something as a “gay” planet? It’s just an adjective, like “cool” planet or “stylish” planet.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Talkar

Except for the part where they said it would be coming to companions…

#13 1 year ago
  14. GwynbleiddiuM

I don’t really care, I haven’t even bothered myself with companion affections yet. Just Dark Jaesa because she is a mad woman with a bloodlust, that I find very intriguing.

#14 1 year ago
  15. ngff

Who the hell was waiting for same-sex relationships? Romance options don’t even really have a place in the game to begin with.

#15 1 year ago
  16. silkvg247

Pay to gay? lol!

That’s not going to offend anyone I’m sure.. their f2p model gets more questionable by the minute. ;)

#16 1 year ago
  17. GrimRita

@15 then clearly you havent either played the game or developed affection with your companions. The game is littered with it, no matter which class you select.

Currently, you are more or less forced down the ‘straight’ route as Bioware again didnt put any thought into their game.

However, the headline is essentially right. If you want to have a ‘gay relationship’ in SWTOR, you need to pay. For the record, even Star Wars Galaxies allowed same sex relationships(including marriage!) from day 1.

EA are all for supporting gay rights but when it comes to their games, it sends out a different message.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Talkar

I don’t think an expansions falls in under the F2P model ;)

Again, it is going to be available for current companions too…

#18 1 year ago
  19. GwynbleiddiuM

@16 Pay2gay? You realize it’s gonna be a part of the expansion, and you have to purchase the expansion to access all of its contents and features, right? Right?!

#19 1 year ago
  20. viralshag

This seems like a complete non-story.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Talkar

@20 sort of. It definately seems like a fox “news” kinda story. Oh look http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/01/14/star-wars-game-segregates-gay-characters-on-gay-planet/
    xD

#21 1 year ago
  22. Fin

To me, it’s Bioware/EA really not understanding how the F2P model works.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Stephany Nunneley

I do believe Brenna calling it the “gay planet” was poking fun at FOX news for referring to it as such, without actually invoking its name. You know, sort of like, don’t call the devil by name or he will appear?

EDIT: NVM @21 pointed it out. But yeah, that’s what she was doing.

#23 1 year ago
  24. viralshag

@22, Except this has nothing to do with their F2P model or F2P in general… Everyone has to pay2gay in SWTOR.

#24 1 year ago
  25. TheWulf

I’d have no world-shattering issues with this, really…

Except that gay is now an end-game option, and an end-game option you have to pay for. I find that a little bit silly for what one would hope are painfully obvious reasons.

Bioware promised and continues to promise equality, this isn’t that. This is let’s pretend equality relegated to a small corner of the in-game Universe where people actually have to pay money to go. That has the implication that you can’t have a same-sex relationship unless there’s money involved (in my experience it’s been the other way around).

I’ll be cheering them on when they add gay options to existing characters as they’ve already won a lot of points with me because of ME3 (as I’m sure you’ve seen). But until they actually add options to existing characters, I’m just going to shake my head at this and sigh. It’s lazy is what it is, in honesty. Just cheap and lazy.

You’ll notice that this isn’t an attack on SWTOR players, it’s not meant to be. Will it be taken that way? Of course it will. That doesn’t change my intent, which is to believe that Bioware can do better than this.

#25 1 year ago
  26. monkeygourmet

How is the “Gay Planet” populated?

Were all gay people banished to this planet at some point?

If so, why?

How can you tell if a Wookie is gay?

Is it a mixed gender and mixed species gay planet?

Is it a fixed population?

If no, then how do they adopt children?

Are children from other planets told; “You have been adopted, you must now live another life on the Gay Planet?”

If the kids grow up hetrosexual, do they have to leave the planet?!

What age is Gayness determined?

I NEED TO KNOW THESE THINGS!!!!! :D

#26 1 year ago
  27. viralshag

Putting the content in future expansions makes more sense to me than going back and adding it to the old stuff. A lot of people have already played through the content and finished their classes respective stories. Not only that but most of the SWTOR vets are already playing multiple alts.

I just don’t see many people rolling the same class, or a new class, just for the sake of the gay romance options. When you can just carry on your story with your main and experience it anyway. It doesn’t make much sense to me considering how story-heavy TOR is as an MMO.

#27 1 year ago
  28. GrimRita

Yes to do viral. If you want to take part on the same gender romance, you have to purchase the expansion. They haven’t confirmed if it will be offered in the current set up – therefore meaning you have to pay if you want to be gay.

And Fin is right, EA/Bioware just cant call SWTOR F2P. Its freemium and they sure go out of their way to ensure those who are freemium’s know it.

#28 1 year ago
  29. viralshag

I haven’t questioned whether you have to pay or not… I know you do… It’s an expansion. So everyone has to pay, like I said above.

This has nothing to do with their F2P model.

#29 1 year ago
  30. DSB

No one bothered to rename it “Rise of the Butt Cartel”?

Gentlemen, I am disappoint.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Gheritt White

P2G is the new F2P.

#31 1 year ago
  32. DSB

Certainly rolling a twink is about to take on new meaning.

#32 1 year ago