PS4 reveal could be at E3 or even earlier, suggests a Sony executive

Monday, 14th January 2013 03:45 GMT By Naren Hooson

Hiroshi Sakamoto, a Sony executive from another division, said in an interview with a Chilean news site that a reveal announcement for the next PlayStation console, codenamed PlayStation Orbis, could take place at E3 or even earlier, in May.

Talking to El Mercurio On Line, Sakamoto had this to say when questioned about seeing a new console from Sony soon, “It’s still a big secret, but our Sony PlayStation friends are getting ready. I only can say that we’re focused on the games related E3 event, booked for June. The announcement can take place there or even before, in May.”

Courtesy of Computer and Videogames, it’s unclear on the reliability of the news due to the two language barriers involved as well as the executive being from a different department. That said, the news does align with rumours and analyst predictions for the release of the next console from Sony.

1. Karooo

Why not link the site? But yeah, I can see it’s a bit unreliable.

2. Telepathic.Geometry

No need to be a cunt.

3. Naren Hooson

Sorry, thought it may have been a bit messy with the translations and there wasn’t much more info.

4. xxJPRACERxx

Here’s a quote from latest Game Informer: “We hear that both Sony and MS are targeting special Apple-style press conferences to unveil their platforms near the GDC in late March” p.14.

So a reveal at/before E3 is a real possibility.

5. NightCrawler1970

Soooo i guess PS4 will be before Black Friday 2013?

6. Diingo

I’m so done with the 7th generation of consoles. Xbox 360 & PS3 & Wii are terrible in my opinion. Xbox had it’s red ring problem (mine died countless times), the PS3 has a terrible control and the online is half assed. The Wii was a Gamecube with a waggle stick, that’s it.

7. Francis O

@D11ngo, I have to kind of agree with you, even though I enjoyed many games on the current generation of systems.

8. NocturnalB

@6 I’m done in general with this generation just because I’m ready to see new hardware and new innovation. As far as those problems you’re talking about pretty much every new gadget/console comes out with quirks and problems, pretty much has always been the case. But having always been an Xbox player i completely understand the RRD, that ring caused me to go through 7 different Xbox’s over the first 4 years of this gen.

9. mistermogul

#6 – I’ve totally loved this gen and in fact still have so many top games backlogged to play/complete that I’m nowhere near ready for more new consoles.

Having said that I have been one of the lucky ones who got a 360 that still lives to this day. No RROD for me. On the Wii I’m not a massive fan of motion controls but you’re mad if anyone used that as an excuse not to play some of the awesome games on that console.