VG247 community’s GOTY 2012 results: winners revealed

Friday, 11th January 2013 11:54 GMT By Dave Cook

VG247′s community has been an integral part of what goes on here, so we opened up the floor to our readers to vote for their game of the year for 2012. The results are in, and we have revealed the winners in video format.

What a year 2012 was eh? There was mass controversy surrounding this, that and the other thing, review score disputes, whisperings around next-gen tech, huge arguments over a certain game’s ending, and much, much more. But at the heart of it all is – as always – the games themselves, these technical marvels that entertain us, enthuse us to continue supporting the medium, and to get us all talking amongst ourselves on these very pages.

Each of us has our own cherished gaming moments from last year, like those last-minute turnaround victories in XCOM: Enemy Unknown, the moment we quashed the Reaper menace in Mass Effect 3, or something as simple as sharing a sobering moment with Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition.

These moments and more have fuelled our community Game of the Year voting polls, in which many of you have voiced your opinions – we listen to each and every one of you, make no mistake – and have compiled your shortlists into a video created by VG247′s own Sam Clay.

Some of the results are positively surprising, and show that once again, the game of the year lists on many sites today still fall into the realm of triple-a, overlooking some of the unsung heroes of the indie scene. Well not us readers, oh no. There are some superb titles worthy of note in this year’s round-up, as well as quotes from some of you on the games in questions.

So without further banter from me, here are your VG247 community Games of the Year 2012, and we just want to say thank you for supporting our site, we appreciate it.

The Winners #10-4:

The Winners #3-1 (Coming Monday, January 14th)

Big shout out to Dragon246 and Bitsnark for starting the voting thread and counting the votes respectively.

What do you make of the results? Let us know below.

1. bitsnark

Excellent video packages there Sam – top notch!

2. mathare92

Not sure the intro video was quite necessary, but pretty good job overall, Sam. Love the fake accents :)

3. Deacon

Scottish OG ; ) lol

Great video guys! Really nice to have this here – looking forward to the final part.

4. polygem

arrrrghhh video player blocked on the machine i am on atm…will check later. cannot wait.

5. Gadzooks!

Eh, I would have much preferred a written piece.

Can’t watch video at work….

6. viralshag

Great video… very funny.

7. Joe Musashi

Given the name of the site, I would suggest terming these awards the “Veejees”. Or veggies… or vaggies. Or vajazzles. ;)

JM

8. Syke360

Cracking video Sam.

@Deacon – lol sorry for calling you “the average named Deacon”

9. Sam Clay

Cheers for the feedback chaps! Glad you enjoyed it.

Big ‘cred’ to Syke360 for his sterling work in the voicing department…

…Now for me to take a nap.

10. Deacon

I sometimes wish I’d gone for BigDickPsychoK1ll4, but hey. ‘Tis a fair comment! :)

11. wamp

@5 Too bad, one of your comments is in the video :)

12. Clupula

See, I would have taken more care to make witty comments about each game had I known comments were going to be read in a Scottish accent. No one ever says anything I say ever in a Scottish accent and now I feel like my life has been missing out all these years.

13. Telepathic.Geometry

Hahahahha, that was fucking LEGEND! More shit like this VG24/7, PWEEEEASE! ^-^ /happy

14. Syke360

@Clupula Yay my attempt at a Scottish accent was recognized!

15. Telepathic.Geometry

I hope that seeing the awesomeness of this video, much MUCH more of ye bastards will vote next year, it DOES count.

16. Clupula

@15 – yeah, as a New Yorker, I don’t know any Scottish people, personally. Only ever knew one, and that’s when I lived in London, and he was from Glasgow, so who knows what the fuck he was saying, 90% of the time.

17. Telepathic.Geometry

@Syke360: Next time give me an Irish accent. Or a Japanese one, whichever is funniest. XD

18. NocturnalB

Dang i didn’t know I’ll definitely be voting this year.

P.S. LOL At how he made OG sound!

19. OwnedWhenStoned

@16 As a Glaswegian, I can identify with this statement.

20. Clupula

@19 – At a certain point, I just took to laughing whenever he’d laugh and nodding at whatever sounded like a question. lol Could have been talking shit about me the whole time, I had no fucking clue.

21. lexph3re

lol that was entertaining. makes me wish i would have voted now. Nice community inclusion guys

22. freedoms_stain

Man, I thought Borderlands 2 was clinching this for sure, I didn’t follow the thread immensely closely but it seemed like everybody voted for it.

I’ll be disappointed in you guys if the top 3 is a turd factory consisting of AC3 and BLOPS2.

23. OlderGamer

Absolutly loved it!

Without a doubt fantastic. I hope you guys do this every year. And in video format. Great job folks.

24. friendlydave

Great video, Funny stuff. Suprised on the results, thought Bordelands and Halo would be in the top 3. Glad to see Dragons Dogma on there too.

@22 I think Farcry 3, dishonerd no idea on what else could be in the top 3, Auras wrath maybe? I have its not BLOPS2 although that is the best CoD game to date.

25. Gheritt White

Just up to number 9 and I almost spat out my drink ‘cos of how funny it was.

26. Dave Cook

As a born Scottish person I speak on behalf of my entire race and declare open war on England for the above video.

The blue menace is upon you…

27. Clupula

I would assume Journey, Dishonored, and Walking Dead are the top three.

I’m still surprised anyone even considers Asura’s Wrath a game and not just an anime with button prompts thrown in.

28. OwnedWhenStoned

@26 I should’ve known you were a fellow Scot.

29. friendlydave

@26 Damn it, Now we have to get the Romans back here to build a taller wall.

@27 Completely forgot about Journey and The Walking Dead, I’m Thinking Walking Dead, Disordered and Farcry 3 now. Asuras Wrath being in the top 3 was wishful thinking ;)

30. Ireland Michael

Hahahahaha! That was absolutely bloody epic.

We definitely need to do more stuff like this in the future.

31. OwnedWhenStoned

I’m seeing so many articles about how good The Walking Dead is, that I almost wish it had been one of the 5 things I’d bought in the Steam Sale.

/still hasn’t played Saints Row 3 or Endless Space. Or Batman.

32. Dave Cook

@30 it’s happening. stay tuned ;)

@29 hah, we laugh at your wall-making abilities :P

33. Telepathic.Geometry

I speak for all Irishmen when I say we’re totally in on this war against the English business.

It’s MOY oylind!

34. Dave Cook

@33 good man.

35. Ireland Michael

@33 *gets his pitchfork*

36. NeoSquall

I didn’t even know there was a GOTY votation here D:

and why XCOM is only 10th? :(

37. Ireland Michael

@36 It was on the forums for weeks.

38. Sadismek

Haha, it was hilarious! We need to do another one this year :P.

@22 AC3 won’t get in the top 3, because as far as I can recall, only a couple of guys voted for it. I can’t speak about the other 2 places, but the first one is definitely The Walking Dead.

39. Kabby

Love the quotes. Amazing. The only legit top 10 on the internet.

40. stevenhiggster

@16 I’m Scottish and I lived in England for a few years when I was in the RAF. When I went home on leave and what not, I couldn’t understand a word anyone was saying either, and I’m one of them! Now that I’m a civvy again my accent is terrible again lol.
    I’m from Ayrshire so as anyone from Scotland will tell you, our local dialect is amongst the hardest for non Scots to understand, its like glaswiegan but with more made up words lol.

41. Dave Cook

@40 I live in England now, I think people on both sides of the border have trouble understanding me :(

Yep I have an Ayrshire. EVen I have difficulty grasping his words.

42. G1GAHURTZ

There must be something wrong with me then, because I play CoD with a Glaswegian on an almost daily basis, and I can understand at least 90% of what he says!

Then again, maybe my old liking of Rab C Nesbit a long time ago help to prepare me…

43. polygem

F A N T A S T I C ! ! ! quality stuff. edited like a pro.
    a friend of mine is scottish. scottish accent combined with german: classic. i only was in scotland once but toured through the whole country…loving the people and the country.
    england is a beauty too tho…wales as well…great island that island.

44. fearmonkey

Awesome video, I absolutely loved it :)
    I love how my voice was portrayed, much better than the real thing haha.

Seriously great, so glad that Dragon started the thread, really cool how it tuned out :)

45. Hunam

I guess I was the only one to vote for Catherine then? :P

46. absolutezero

Im Scottish.

My quote was not in a Scots accent. Im pretty pleased about this.

47. Digital Bamboo

Bhahahaha! That was all-around awesome.

48. Dragon246

Awesome video! Now I hope this year more people vote!

49. monkees19

Did I miss something? I’ve only even heard of about 3 of these games and haven’t played the three I heard of. I guess my backlog is a little more backed up than I thought…

50. The_Red

Holy mother of awesome. I don’t know what to say other than: Hell YEAH!

51. Edo

That was pretty great guys,looking forward to Monday.

52. Uncontested

So either Far Cry is top 3 or it was left off the list… Shame if the latter is the case. I can’t remember the last time experiencing a story that sucked me in like that, ESPECIALLY for a FPS game.

53. Dragon246

Did you vote?

54. Ireland Michael

All I will say is that nobody has guessed the top three right yet.

55. Dragon246

Actually someone did, but naming him will spoil the fun :P

56. partchimp

Borderlands 2 was probably my goty. While not perfect, it was the most fun I had gaming this year.

Grown very tired of me3 so didn’t get round to finishing it. The 300th time I’d stumbled upon a square room with waist high cover and yet another ambush, enough was enough.

I’ve played literally 30 seconds of dark souls as I died on the first monster. I know it’s supposed to be hard/unforgiving, but it got me in a bad mood!