Nvidia Project Shield live hands-on footage: shows high-spec streaming

Friday, 11th January 2013 08:37 GMT By Dave Cook

Nvidia’s Project Shield has been the subject of immense scrutiny and speculation this week since it was revealed at CES – you can check out our full report on what the console involves here. Fresh video footage of the console in action has surfaced over at Mini PC Pro’s YouTube channel, showing the console running live.

The clip above shows off the Tegra-4 powered handheld, which can also be plugged into your television via HDMI, although the on-board screen itself displays at 720p. The controller has an in-built SD Card slot that lets users upgrade their storage. It plays Android titles and streams PC games at a distance to your couch, and to your television. So essentially, it enables high-end PC gaming in the living room, something Valve is also keen to establish with Steam Box.

What do you think of the above? Will it change the way gamers view PC? Let us know below.

Thanks again Mini PC Pro.

1. Erthazus

I think Nvidia has some issues with the console’s design. I always hated when PC developers make hardware. They always want to make it futuristic in a very cheesy way.

but specs and what this thing can do are amazing. Much better then what 3DS or Vita can offer.

I think console’s design just kills it.

#1 1 year ago
  2. viralshag

I’m going to have to disagree, I actually like that design. One thing I always dislike about most handhelds is the compacted controls. This looks like a standard controller, which I could definitely get behind.

This with Steam is so much more interesting to me than any Steam Box. Depending on what the price is, I would be very tempted by this.

#2 1 year ago
  3. DrDamn

I agree with Erth – very rare so worth pointing out ;). Gaming PC design in general seems squarely aimed at and designed by teenagers. “Futuristic” plastic with funky coloured lights and this looks similar. About as stylish as a chav’ed up Peugeot 106.

It’s a nice piece of kit and a nice idea, but it won’t take off. It’ll be niche. nVidia just don’t have the market presence or recognition with the general public to make it a success.

#3 1 year ago
  4. ps3fanboy

GET READY TO BE SUED NVIDIA! THE PLACE YOU HAVE HAD PLACED YOUR ANALOG STICKS ARE PATENTED BY SONY PLAYSTATION!!!1

#4 1 year ago
  5. viralshag

It will be niche but I think they know that, this seems designed with PC gamers in mind.

Also, what’s really different about this compared to most handhelds that have the shiny plastic gloss look? The back looks like a standard matt black 360 pad and the front looks like it’s covered in that soft rubber texture.

To me it just looks bigger than most handhelds but the design doesn’t seem to drift much from what we usually see except this looks a lot more comfortable to hold, to me at least.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Moonwalker1982

Not sure i see the point of this, but then again i barely use a handheld anyway. If i want to play Skyrim, i’ll do that on my 360 on my plasma. It’s cool that it can stream PC games, and it might sound cool to play those kind of games on a handheld..at home…i don’t see much reason for that.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Vapsyvox

I think it’ll be great for us who want to play in the bed without getting a stiff neck from leaning the head towards the screen all the time.

#7 1 year ago
  8. povu

Not sure why the guy is commenting on graphics quality when it’s a stream from a high end PC…

#8 1 year ago
  9. freedoms_stain

@6, Your high end PC is upstairs/in another room, your best TV is in the livingroom, this has HDMI out and can stream your games from upstairs onto your livingroom TV.

It’s not the primary feature of the device, it’s a bonus for people with the setup to use it.

edit: @8, although the racing game was streaming from a PC the quality of the image on the screen is still dependant on the hardware of the Shield. If it had a low res screen then the streamed image would look shit no matter how powerful the PC the game is being streamed from is.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Lloytron

Interesting concept, but It’s not anything I would remotely consider buying.

#10 1 year ago