Capcom digital release survey attracts 60K responses, “very telling”

Thursday, 10th January 2013 01:06 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Capcom USA senior vice preseident Christian Svensson has said the results of a recent survey into what the publisher’s fans want from digital releases was successful and informative.

“I think the breadth of feedback we received was fantastic (more than 60K respondents) and I think Japan will think the same. So thanks everyone for taking the time,” the executive wrote on Capcom Unity.

“The data collected was very telling and in my opinion easily gives a prioritized list of things I think we should do (conveniently enough, many of them are things we’ve been pushing for for a while). My next task is to convince the gatekeepers in Japan with the data (which they have in their possession) and ensure what we’re working on fits with the complete digital strategy for the company.”

Svensson said he wouldn’t be commented on how individual titles or franchises fared in the survey.

“People will interpret them how they see fit, not necessarily how they are here. I don’t want to set any false expectations,” he said.

“I don’t want to say what my recommendations will be to Japan because if they don’t happen, we’ll just get more backlash.”

Regardless of what Svensson tells us, it would be quite a while before it would translate into something you can actually play; he noted that it would take a couple of months to greenlight and then at least a further year to make, any games which are made as a result of the survey.

“That said, we do have games already in development in this segment, some of which you’ll hear about a bit later in the year,” he added.

Thanks, Siliconera.

1. OlderGamer

I did my part. Kind of disappointed only 60K helped out.

2. lexph3re

Its always the spoken few that makes things happen though. I know i said I’d buy digital copies of the entire X series. And how I will buy the onimusha series digitally as well. Even said rekindling the BOF series would be nice.

I really hope they do cross buys for vita and ps3 though. Having Mega Man X on the go would well be nothing short of awesome.

3. OlderGamer

Xross buys is a no brainer in my book. It just makes so much sense to me. And I am with you on BOF, my fav SNES rpg right behind Lufia.

4. DSB

Step 1: Dump GFWL
    Step 2: Dump GFWL
    Step 3: Dump GFWL
    Step 4: Profit

5. absolutezero

and then Capcom Japan completely ignore it like normal.

6. SameeR_Fisher

while I don’t like the whole digital stuff, if it is the only way, I will do it.

I just hope they take the feedback to heart, bringing Dino Crisis & Onimusha back, and above all re-releasing the Resident Evil Remake for PS3.

7. Vice

I didn’t even know about this poll, but I would by FAR prefer sequels/reboots to any new franchises. Not just with Capcom, any game company out there.

#7 1 year ago