Call of Duty movie would taint the brand, no plans for adaptation says Kotick

Thursday, 10th January 2013 08:28 GMT By Dave Cook

Call of Duty has all the hallmarks of an action movie – the pounding soundtrack, explosions and lots of rappelling – oh so much rappelling. But don’t expect a movie adaptation of the series ever, says Activision CEO Bobby Kotick.

An article by the New York Times suggests that Kotick feels that a movie adaptation of the shooter franchise would taint the brand and realises that movie adaptations of games rarely please fans.

It follows chatter that the Acti-Blizz World of Warcraft movie is still in the development stages, but many critics questions the worth of taking games to the big screen – given their middling to poor treatment. Next on the adaptation slate is Mass Effect: Paragon Lost, an animated prequel to Mass Effect 3. We’ve also seen Michael Fassbender to sign up for the Assassin’s Creed movie, and Tom Hardy join Ubisoft in bringing Splinter Cell’s Sam Fisher to the big screen.

What’s your take on a Call of Duty move? Would it work? Should it be done? Tell us what you think below.

Thanks IGN.

1. KAP

As aposed to this brand NOT being tainted all really? Ah ok?!
    I never want to see “Kotick” & “Taint” in the same sentence…… well, unless the word “kick” is involved maybe.

2. adumicic

Not a fan of the series, but to be honest it’d probably work quite well as a movie. A dumb 80′s action movie, that’s what the game is afterall…

3. G1GAHURTZ

Perhaps this marks a huge turning point in the film/gaming industries.

Since games have come along, movies have always been the bigger seller. Turning a popular game into a movie was a no-brainer, because they could make the money, and reach audiences that a video game would struggle to.

Maybe now gaming is outgrowing other forms of entertainment a lot more than we realise…

4. Docker Al

Black Ops 2 has tainted the brand far more than any movie ever could.

5. Dave Cook

@4 no, it hasn’t.

6. Fin

Yer, no it hasn’t. The campaign started off quite slow, the second half was great. MP’s great too.

7. Erthazus

Campaign was awesome. Riding on the horse with a stinger shooting soviet vehicles (tanks, helicopters). I will never forget this bullshit.

8. Docker Al

@5 Has for me and every single person on my friend’s list. But,hey if you like the tiny map,insta-death,quick scope friendly,poor man”s MW3 clone then good luck to you. I played Black ops every week with a very large group of like minded gamers right up until the release of this garbage. We are all gutted. This is a game for the fans of MW3. The hard core Treyarch fans I played with hate it. I would go as far as saying it is the most unpleasant experience I’ve ever had in an online game. The last 12 months of Black Ops were even better than the first year-all the deadshits were off playing MW3. Activision could have had 2 styles of COD-the larger map less relentless pace of the Treyarch games and the tiny map cluster fuck style of MW4,sorry,Black ops 2.Treyarch have lost a lot of fans by shitting all over them like this. No wonder sales are down by 20%. For a lot of gamers this is the last COD they well buy. So has it tainted the brand? Absolutely.

9. viralshag

Oh well, that settles it then.

10. SameeR_Fisher

Any movie will taint any game, I am hating that Ubisoft is doing a SC movie, then again Blacklist is different now, and Sam Fisher has become Eric Fisher, so we will get Tom Fisher on the big screens, I hate that.

11. G1GAHURTZ

@8:

Well, according to you, MW3 was rubbish, which would mean that you almost certainly don’t like MW2, so how can the brand be “tainted” when you already hate half of the games…?

I think not.

12. MadFlavour

Yeah a film would really taint the brand.

Like farting on a turd would taint the turd.

13. The Auracle

Clearly, this is solely a matter of opinion. Knowing Kotick though, this opinion will change as the bids for film rights get higher.

Quite frankly, ActiVision has absolutely no intention of reinventing CoD so you might as well continue to nickel & dime fans for everything they’ve got… as they’ve already been doing with every release since Modern Warfare.

14. Docker Al

@11 As I said I speak for a lot of fans-of the Treyarch games. Given that we will never touch another COD,and indeed feel we’ve been shafted by Treyarch/Acti how has the series NOT been tainted for us?

15. viralshag

@14, Don’t be so ridiculous. You, your friends list and other forum posts you’ve read that agree with you does not make “a lot of the fans”.

16. Docker Al

@15 If you,re going to quote someone get it right and don’t add words that weren’t used. So you really believe it’s just me that is unhappy with the game? And everyone on my friends list? And all the people who have made the forum posts you mention? Why(according to an article I read on this website) are sales down by 20%?I would call 20% a lot myself. Why do the ganes official forums have thousands of complaints? Check the number of people online. It is not even close to what previous titles have had. Not even the usual big spike on Christmas day.
    The gamers who aren’t playing? I’m pretty confident that a lot of them are like the people I know who are or were fans of the Treyarch games.
    MW4 has nothing to offer them. At all.

17. viralshag

@16, Well the only quote I used was “a lot of the fans” which is something you said, in that you apparently speak on their behalf. So I’m not sure what words I have added.

What popular games don’t have forums filled with complaints? All game sales are in a slump. People will get tired of a series that has gone on as long as CoD has.

Unless you have a direct line to the 20% who didn’t buy this game, I don’t see how you can speak for them, or anyone else to be honest.

18. G1GAHURTZ

@14:

Like I said, you already didn’t like half of the games in the series, so what difference is one more going to make?

More accurately, it’s probably the other way around. For you, the series is bad, but you found one version that you really enjoyed.

So rather than BO2 tainting the franchise, it was BO that jazzed it up a bit for you.

19. Maximum Payne

When you compare to other military fps like: Homefront,Killzone,Medal Of Honor,Battlefield,GR:Future Soldier… cod Campaign’s are golden.
    Fear 2 and 3 were also meh .

20. Fin

PROTIP: You and the people on your friends list might not have liked BO2, but I can say conclusively you’re in the minority. If you’re posting on a forum, that already makes you a minority.

Man the BF3 campaign sucked.

21. Docker Al

PROTIP:You are a moron.Where do I say I represent the majority?YOU are the sheep,not me.