Windows 8 sees 60 million sales since launch, Microsoft talks stats

Wednesday, 9th January 2013 11:08 GMT By Dave Cook

Windows 8 has been purchased 60 million times in just ten weeks. That’s the stats coming from Microsoft today via CES.

Aside from the 60 million milestone, Microsoft added that the Windows Store has enjoyed 100 million downloads, despite calls from within the games industry that the OS is shambolic. Valve’s Gabe Newell is one of the operating system’s most outspoken critics, as well as Introversion’s Chris Delay and Serious Sam developer Alen Ladavac. The latter said that Microsoft has ‘Apple Envy’.

Newell has said in the past that Windows 8 will accelerate Microsoft’s “decline”.

Regardless we reported in November that Windows 8 sales had passed the 40 million mark, a trend that Microsoft said at CES is matching the same trend seen after the launch of Windows 7. What do you think? Do the numbers suggest otherwise?

Thanks Eurogamer.

1. alimokrane

How do these sales compare to Windows XP is what I am interested in.

2. alimokrane

Found this which compares sales of XP/Vista and 7.

3. _LarZen_

Best OS from Microsoft to this date.

4. GrimRita

I like Windows 8. Love the apps, such as amazon 4od, youtube amongst others. MS has clearly put alot of thought into it. Hell, there is even a Steam launcher app!!

5. viralshag

I have to say I’m really liking W8. Apart from a few issues with some programs and games, it’s great.

6. OwnedWhenStoned

@5: which games? I was going to upgrade but heard a few horror stories about compatibility..

7. silkvg247

I dabbled in it a while but I don’t see the benefit for desktop / non touch screen users.

8. viralshag

@6, The only problem has been with Rift so far. But that might be the new nVidia gfx driver I installed or it might be both. Sometimes on higher settings it crashes and reboots my machine, when before on W7 I never had this issue.

9. OnionPowder

@6 The only compatibility issue I’ve had with W8 so far were for drivers for my headphones, but for the install tool I just ran in W7 compatibility.

10. roadkill

60 million idiots going once! 60 millions idiots going twice! Ah who am I kidding!? There are many from where these came from! Ahahaha!

11. OwnedWhenStoned

Essentially, that’s my issue. There doesn’t seem to be a reason to upgrade.

@8 and 9:

I heard the nVidia one. Either of you have any Steam issues?

12. OnionPowder

@11 The only issue with Steam is it will install the wrong version of Games for Windows Live. I know it effects Dark Souls but I don’t know if it will fuck up any other GFWL game. Here’s a link on how to fix it.

@10 Windows 8 is amazing. Fastest OS I’ve ever used.

13. viralshag

@11, Like #12 I haven’t encountered any problems with Steam at all so far.

14. Se_7_eN

You forgot to mention the part of how many Windows 8 keys have been USED…. And that is only 20% of Windows 8 keys, have actually been used.

Meaning, out of these “60 million sales” 20% of the people have actually installed the OS.

Funny when Linux is running on more PC’s than Microsoft’s new OS.

15. theevilaires

It looks pretty but I think I’ll stick with 7 for a while longer. I tried using 8 and nearly ended up in jail….don’t ask :P