US Vice President to discuss gun violence with games industry representatives

Wednesday, 9th January 2013 09:38 GMT By Dave Cook

American vice president Joe Biden is to discuss the thorny and oft-debated issue of gun violence with games industry representatives, new reports suggest.

Reuters reports that the National Rifle Association (NRA) is also meeting with Biden to discuss the issue, following the Sandy Hook shootings in Newtown, Connecticut, which President Barack Obama has since named the worst day of his presidency, according to the site.

Now, Obama’s VP has set up a task force geared towards examining the issue, and it is said that Biden will meet with industry figures as part of his campaign. White House spokesman Jay Carney explained, “[Biden's] group will also meet with representatives of the entertainment and video-game industries.”

The group will hold meetings at some point this week. Polygon reports that Biden’s meeting with the games industry comes as the The Entertainment Merchant’s Association wrote him a letter asking that he discuss the matter with them in person, to help root out stigma and to talk about key issues at hand.

Polygon covered the group’s letter to Biden here.

What’s your take on Biden actually taking time to meet with the industry? Will it help rationalise the reactionary link between violence and games and look at the real issues at hand? Let us know below.

1. alterecho

There can be no gun violence without guns. US is not the only country that has people playing violent games.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Fin

#2 1 year ago
  3. sh4dow

#3 1 year ago
  4. theevilaires

Vice President Biden: So gentleman we have a serious issue at hand here.

Games Industry representatives: Yes we do sir and we’re committed in doing all we can to help make a change.

VPB: Great so you’ll get me and President Obama early copies as soon as possible right?

GIR: Sir we don’t understand….early copies of what?

VPB: What do you mean of what!? Early copies of GTA5 mother fucker! Why do you think we’re having this meeting?

GIR: Ummm sir I though we we’re here to talk about violence control in games because of the Sandy Hook incident that happen last year.

VP Biden: What?! That was last year…its over with….some dip shit will do the same thing this year and next year and the next year after that. Gentlemen theres nothing we can do to stop shit like that…

GIR: But sir shouldn’t we atlea…

VP Biden: But sir shit. If I don’t get my hands on an early copy of GTA5 shit will hit the fan people. I’m sick and tired of Call of Duty every fucking year!…Those little 12 year old British kids with their annoying accents screaming they owned my ass. Arrrrgh I can’t take it anymore! This industry needs GTA5 NOW! and I need my copy yesterday gentlemen. So you march your asses to Rockstar North and tell that prick Houser he better get a move on before I go all Tommy Vercetti on his ass.

Meeting over!

10 minutes later….

VP Biden: (pulls out shit phone) Siri dial the leader of the free world…*ding* *dialing Barack Obama* ….Hey Barack its all taken care of…. there’s nothing to worry about…we should have our copies in a few more days time. I can’t wait to kick your ass in multiplayer hahahahaha! Can’t hide behind your secret service then can you. Ok I’ll talk to you later…I love you too, good bye. :D

#4 1 year ago
  5. manamana

Nice one :-D

#5 1 year ago
  6. DSB

You know what we should ban though? Cars.

I’m sure some of those shooters drove cars, and we all know roadrage is common as well as deadly, so surely the fact that they were cut off in traffic at some point in their lives motivated them to commit these horrible acts.

#6 1 year ago