Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Nintendo titles reign supreme on Japanese charts

Wednesday, 9th January 2013 14:13 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Titles for Nintendo systems dominated the Media Create’s latest sales chat, with Animal Crossing: New Lead stilling comfortable on top. There were no new releases for the period. 3DS LL and 3DS were still the number one and the number two best selling systems for the week as well, which helped push the handheld’s unit sales past the 10 million sold mark in the region. Full sales figures below.

Here’s the full software chart for the period. Life-to-date sales are in parentheses:

1. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo, 11/08/12) – 133,134 (2,103,089)
  2. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo, 07/28/12) – 90,264 (1,834,055)
  3. [3DS] Paper Mario: Sticker Star (Nintendo, 12/06/12) – 68,262 (470,394)
  4. [3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go 2: Chrono Stone Reimei / Neppuu (Level-5, 12/13/12) – 51,519 (365,536)
  5. [Wii U] New Super Mario Bros. U (Nintendo, 12/08/12) – 50,319 (419,710)
  6. [3DS] Fantasy Life (Level-5, 12/27/12) – 42,291 (159,361)
  7. [Wii U] Nintendo Land (Nintendo, 12/08/12) – 41,426 (250,473)
  8. [PSP] One Piece: Romance Dawn (Namco Bandai, 12/20/12) – 40,137 (264,739)
  9. [3DS] Tongari Boushi to Mahou no Machi (Konami, 12/20/12) – 38,986 (119,735)
  10. [3DS] Run For Money: Flee From the Strongest Hunters in History (Namco Bandai, 07/05/12) – 35,624 (373,096)
  11. [3DS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity (Pokemon, 11/22/12) – 35,190 (408,889)
  12. [3DS] Taiko Drum Master: Chibi Dragon and the Mysterious Orb (Namco Bandai, 07/12/12) – 34,529 (375,062)
  13. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Best Price!) (Capcom, 11/15/12) – 32,007 (155,601)
  14. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo, 12/01/11) – 30,291 (1,939,257)
  15. [3DS] Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney (Level-5, 11/29/12) – 30,235 (249,689)
  16. [PS3] Fist of the North Star: Ken’s Rage 2 (Tecmo Koei, 12/20/12) – 29,180 (194,157)
  17. [Wii] Taiko Drum Master Wii Super Wonderful Edition (Namco Bandai, 11/29/12) – 28,001 (349,960)
  18. [PS3] Yakuza 5 (Sega, 12/06/12) – 26,631 (544,855)
  19. [3DS] Wagamama Fashion Girls Mode Yokubari Sengen (Nintendo, 09/27/12) – 23,172 (282,642)
  20. [3DS] Kobito Zukan Kobito Kansatsu Set (Colombia, 07/26/12) – 21,110 (226,888)

Here’s the full hardware chart for the period. Year-to-date sales are in parentheses, and Media Create is no longer tracking PS2 sales.

• 3DS LL – 156,184 (150,581)
  • 3DS – 123,075 (99,264)
  • Wii U – 67,083 (69,386)
  • PS3 – 64,352 (53,222)
  • PSP – 54,873 (41,914)
  • PSV – 33,309 (20,492)
  • Wii – 5,632 (6,741)
  • 360 – 1,893 (1,986)

Thanks, Gematsu.

1. Dragon246

Ps3 vs WiiU will be interesting.
    Kudos to 3ds for crossing 10m sales.

2. DrDamn

The parentheses figures for hardware are last week’s figure. PSV sales are reasonable considering they are being pushed by a particular software release. Presumably post Christmas spending of present money? Or maybe some decent sales discounting in Japan?

3. Stephany Nunneley

@2 They are still year-to-date figures as last week was the first week of the yearly reporting period. This week’s figures will be added to the ytd figures next week, etc.

4. Dragon246

I don’t see a particularly noticeable vita release. The boost is probably because of holidays.
    Remember, Japan celebrates new year more than christmas, which is a working day.

5. Eddie Rodrigues

Sony did a bad thing releasing more PSP games and forgetting about the Vita, though this happened when the PS3 was released (Kingdom Hearts and Persona games were being released just there on the PS2)

6. lexph3re

^ can’t say its a bad thing to release for psp when the opposition is doing the same thing and feeding their new device. 3DS sales haven’t been being pushed due to amazing 3ds games but merely ds games. Vita is more than likely struggling in japan because they buy a game for the vita is more than likely just digital.

I haven’t heard confirmation on it but what is the frequency of the new release psp games being availiable digitally on psn in Japan? If they aren’t day 1 i doubt people want to buy a physical copy and then pay an additional 5-10 bucks to get a digital version on their vitas. That makes the device a hassle and to much money

7. DrDamn

What games are Sony developing and publishing still on PSP? Kingdom Hearts was Squenix/Disney and Persona was Atlus. Third parties are always going to find the bigger market of the older models more attractive for a bit. Sony can’t control that.

In fact in Japan Sony published 40+ PSP titles in 2010, ~7 in 2011 and 0 in 2012. 5 PSV Titles in 2011 & ~30in 2012.

8. Francis O

@6 lexph3re

- What are you talking about? Japan is getting all sorts of awesome 3DS games that are pushing sales of the system. Bravery Default, Fantasy Life, Animal Crossing New Leaf.

Stop making excuses for the Vita. Its not doing well because it doesn’t have the games yet. And Nintendo has more games Japanese players want to play on the 3DS.

9. Dragon246

Do you really think its because of games? Pricing is everything.A game on its own cant sell more than a few thousand copies. Its western ignorance to say psp lived only because of MH. It was down to pricing. Vita is not selling because of its price. Games play a part, but a negligible one in front of pricing.
    In west, 3ds has nothing in front of vita. Just check metacritic. Vita beats 3ds black and white on that front. So why doesn’t it sell? Pricing.

I agree with lex on psp too. Its good they are supporting an old system. That is why I can confidently buy their consoles since I know they will be supported for a long time, unlike some other companies who abandon their consoles after a few bad years like ninty.

10. Eddie Rodrigues

@7 Well of course those were third parties, but still exclusives (in KH case the main series) and kept people playing the system as long as the gamers felt that change wasn’t quite necessary.

@9 You brought an interesting point actually. All companies except Sony tend to ‘abandon’ the older consoles and invest onto the new platforms they just build. This allows Sony sales to increase continuously at a long rate while other companies have small boosts on sales at different times.

11. Francis O

@9 Dragon246

Price plays a part but games play a big part too. In America, you could have found a Vita for the same price as the 3DS XL on Black Friday and the 3DS STILL sold more than the Vita.

And since when does metacritic dictate anything? In the West, people are buying New Super Mario Bros 2, Paper Mario Sticker Star, Professor Layton, Liberation Maiden, Crimson Shroud, Resident Evil Revelations, Mario Kart 7, Code of Princess and other games. Who gives a crap about what journalists think? Its all about what the gamers are buying. The Vita and its games are not selling.

12. monkeygourmet

But Sony knew all this and had experienced it first hand with the PSP costing issue VS the cheaper DS.

Are you saying they are that stupid they would try flogging that same dead horse all over again?!

Of course you are, and you’d be bang on! :)

Also, they’ve taken out PSP BC AND added on crazy expensive memory sticks… Smooth Sony… Real smooth…

The handhold space more suited to ‘younger’ players IMO. Parents often buy handhelds to ‘shut the kids up’, in the back of the car.

They can take the handheld round to grandmas etc… It keeps them quiet.

The DS and 3DS nicely cover all the angles. Cheaper so parents can afford one or 2 for their kids, but with hardcore games as its cheap to produce for.

Fuck knows who the Vita is aimed at, tech geeks unfortunatly don’t make up a huge amount of sales figures.

Sony may very well have to package it with the PS4 to save its sorry arse.

3DS is killing it, even in a world of smart phones. Most impressive! :) and Pokemon X & Y isn’t even out yet!

13. polygem

totally…i mean i cannot play my ds games on my 3ds or my wii games on wiiu, i couldn’t play my gc games on the wii, there is no such thing as the virtual console, i didn’t buy kirby mass attack, a great new DS exclusive just about a year ago…
    can you play your psp games on the vita? without rebuying? if so, tell me how, i for one couldn’t…no ps2 games for me on the ps3 either…that’s great support.

14. Kabby

There’s a whole lot of cutesy bullshit in that chart.

15. lexph3re

Soooo they got rid of bc? Or they just don’t have physical bc? last I checked I’m playing tons of bc psp games on my vita more then as many as you post about on ds. The fact is in the west vita can do everything plus in the west but in japan its a different story. Frequency of psp digital versions to physical on psn.

Also, 3DS is 3 years old how old is vita? 1? and yet you guys spew gloom over the robust catalog the vita has? yeah ok.

this is the same bs people were saying early in ps3 life and low and behold its caught the competitors with a 1 year lag. Now Vita has a 2 year lag and people are still flogging about like tards saying its doomed. Come on a pokemon game didn’t kill the psp and it won’t kill the vita yet plenty of people believe that it will.

the fact is you have to wonder about the real issues. And thats delivery, right now its mid way into psp life and the beginning of vitas. just chill out dudes theres enough doom and gloom runninv around where we can just think about other issues in handhelds. The world doesn’t just need nintendo and iphones to sustain the handheld market

16. polygem

i for one didn’t doom anything or anyone. just pointed out that i can play my retail ds games on the 3ds and my retail wii games on wiiu, while i couldn’t do that with psp games on the vita (while i had one) and i cannot play ps2 games on my ps3 slim…and that being said, that i absoluteley have no idea how you can say: ”…unlike some other companies who abandon their consoles after a few bad years like ninty.”

17. lexph3re

Now did I say that? No. And you talk as if you and everyone else owns every psp retail game. News flash its known that they haven’t had extreme success on that front. So its honestly not a deal breaker considering you can buy pretty much all of the psp catalog on US psn.

As for the BC of wii/wiiu no one was talking about that here except dragon. You must have a issue with reading different peoples posts.

18. Francis O

@lexph3re

It is a deal breaker for me. The Vita does not have a bunch of good games right now, and the memory is expensive. The PSP on the other hand does. If the PS Vita was backwards compatible with the PSP games, and the memory was cheaper, I would totally have one along with Gravity Rush and Uncharted.

I don’t want to re-buy games I already have on my PSP. I didn’t have to re-buy DS games on my 3DS, it should be the same way for Vita.

19. lexph3re

See thats the thing. I have had this device for almost a full year and have literally TONS of games to play. I also have bought about 20 psp games last year at significantly low price points on psn and I have a 4gb memory card.

You know how I manage that? I transfer to and from my ps3 what I want to play. People make this seem more problematic than what it really is. Also, if you already have a psp why would you re buy them in the first place? When you buy/bought a 3ds are you not buying the old back catalog? If it wasnt for me playing the essentials on ds already then what would be the justification for the lack luster 3ds games we have now? I have the Vita and 3ds and its just sad how little their is to play on that device its self.

So honestly people are knocking the Vita for having legit games for vita but praising 3ds for having what? DS games? Yeah sure fired winner there -_-

20. Dragon246

Like GC, Virtual Boy and now Wii (360 and ps3 are stil heavily supported)
    were abandoned. Yup, I am right.

“The handhold space more suited to ‘younger’ players IMO.”
    Exactly. Just like ninty games are for kids. Hurt?
    Generalizations don’t work.

About psp bc, I really cant play any other handheld games after playing vita since most non-vita games look ape-shit in front of it . After playing Soul Sacrifice demo, I could only laugh about how bad MH looks. I have played 100s (around 220) games on psp and I don’t revisit games, so no worries for me.

21. OlderGamer

Lots of gobelyguk here, but best point I can latch onto is indeed price. Price sells everything. If Sony came to market with a price point that didn’t move one system, why repeat the same strategy over and over again? PSx and PS2 sold, not because they were raw power houses, but because they were priced for the mass market to eat them up.

Games follow where the consumer goes.

Coming out with Vita, as expensive as it was/is, imo was foolish. It is a great bit of kit. I realy like the screen. But for most people the price is just too high. Aim lower, price it lower, and sell more systems.

I worry about PS4/Orbis. Sony needs to come out of the gates strong and sell fast. That is going to take an agressive price point. But looking at the past three pieces of hardware, nothing tells me they have figured out price point importance yet.

All of that being said different things have different value to different people. Lex and Dragon enjoy the Vita – awesome. Poly and friends enjoy the 3DS – awesome. The sale charts are what they are, they may well be the only thing that can’t actualy be debated.

22. polygem

reLEX man (sorry;)…i replied to dragon yea, quoted him too…didn’t mix up posters.
    but everythings fine anyway, he now said to himself that he’s right and gave himself thumbs up, a nod and a twinkle, so all good.
    pricing is key and games are. sure.
    i personally have tons of quality ds/3ds games to play.
    i bought a vita at launch. i love handheld gaming. the vita just doesn’t offer me that many games that i’d personally enjoy though. that’s just me, don’t get me wrong, but that, combined with a huge price tag, 10+ euro more than for 3ds games on retail, expensive memory cards, no bc for psp games…all that combined is a deal breaker for me.

dragon…i played my gc games on wii…the virtual boy…you have a point…but do you really want to use THAT as an argument? weak.

23. JPdot

Those are indeed massive numbers for Nintendo! I am really enjoying my 3DS XL and I am looking forward to playing SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked and Fire Emblem as soon as possible.