Sony’s CES presentation skirts around gaming, talks tech – report

Tuesday, 8th January 2013 08:49 GMT By Dave Cook

Sony’s CES presentation took place in the wee hours this morning, although PS3, PS4 and PS Vita were notably absent from proceedings and instead, tech took centre stage. Some critics have even gone so far as to raise concern over what has been called by one site as ‘disappointing’.

Variety reports that Kaz Hirai made clear his intentions for steering Sony into the next wave of consumer electronics from the outset, stating, “When I was named CEO, I made a commitment to revitalize Sony’s electronics business”, which he said includes, “Digital imaging, games and mobile.”

Hirai and Sony towed a heavy line regarding the recording of 4k resolution films and television, and that the company is pushing for the format as standard, citing the incoming Will Smith flick ‘After Earth’, along with films ‘Elysium’ and ‘Oblivion’ as the next titles to sport the flashy new visual sheen.

There will also be a new line of what the site called ‘Mastered in 4K’ Blu-Ray releases, including The Amazing Spider-Man and Total Recall. There was also talk of a 4k video camera and a – presumably rather expensive – 84-inch Bravia 4k television that I’m sure you nor I could ever afford. There was also the reveal of a new 1080p Xperia Z smartphone.

IGN called the presentation “disappointing”, and was full of claims that Sony had been working in the consumer electronic business longer, better and harder than the rest of the pack, as if trying to remind attendees that they still bore relevance in the industry. The site also said that the presentation’s actual announcements felt like “an after-thought” by comparison.

It comes as Sony posted grim financials at the end of 2012, revealing losses of $198 million. PS Vita has been cited as a key concern in financial terms, as has the company’s decision to convert $1.82 billion worth of convertible bonds for the purchase of cloud streaming company GaiKai.

During his presentation, Hirai stated Vita sales were on the “low end of what we expected,” noting it can take 5-10 years before Sony can acknowledge whether a product has been successful or not, adding that “long term is what is important.”

Chatter is rife among the industry that a PS4 reveal is incoming at Sony’s ‘Destination PlayStation’ event, kicking off February 25th-28th. It’s a retail-only event, which typically signifies that retailers such as GameStop and supermarket chains will be getting an exclusive glimpse at what game publishers will be releasing throughout the year ahead.

This means that they may well see PS4 ahead of the press, as has been known to happen in previous generations.

The question is: given what we know about Sony’s financial losses last year, and its ailing performance in other areas of consumer media, would the reveal of PS4 help turn around the company’s dip in any real, significant way? Yesterday, Michael Pachter says ‘yes’, but sitting on this side of the fence – among the press – there’s a mixed air of caution and excitement surrounding the company’s future. it could go either way.

One thing is for sure, PS4 is going to have to be mind-blowing to reclaim investor and gamer confidence – especially following reports that the console will block use of pre-owned titles. We’ll know more about it soon enough.

For now though, our own sources have told us everything there is to know – at the moment – regarding the PS4′s specs. Check out our report here.

1. Get_crazy

“One thing is for sure, PS4 is going to have to be mind-blowing to reclaim investor and gamer confidence – especially following reports that the console will block use of pre-owned titles.”

That’s funny… using the word “report” and actually saying that the PS4 will block second-hand games. You just want to make the reader jump off his sit.

It’s just a patent that Sony won’t use, there was the exact same “reports” for the PS3 back then. Everybody knows (especially Sony) that they wouldn’t do this crazy thing. Seriously, would retailers be okay to sell the PS4 if they know that the console can’t read second-hand games and that this is with this market that retailers make most of their revenue. I mean, come on… if Sony is stupid enough to make this happen, the PlayStation brand is over!

2. locus2k1

A shot in the dark from me then: to “future-proof” PS4 I’m hazarding a guess that it could support 4K? If true then it’ll certainly be a while before I can afford a 4K TV, mind you HD TV took a little while to become “affordable”

Shame no PS4 confirmation/announcement, still hopeful for the Durango/720 announcement by e3 though :)

3. Erthazus

Yeah, it’s Sony. These days they can’t do anything right.

The only thing they can is “Talk, talk and talk” while other companies announce something.

But come on guys, Shitty 84 inch Bravia TV that is what we need right now. Fantastic announcement.

No wonder why Sony lost technology leadership in Japan.

P.S.

Of course PS4 will support 4K resolution at some point, but not games on it. Once PS4 will come out, my games on my PC will already support 4K resolution (I hope so. I’m planning to change my 27 inch monitor with 30 in 3-4 years.). I don’t play games in 1080p anymore since 2010 november. I play only in 2560×1440 most of the time (If my Card supports 40-60 frames per second I will use that resolution, if not then 1080p). Soon this resolution in monitors will be already affordable to a lot of people and that’s good.

Some videos in Youtube are already at 4K at some point. 4K is amazing, but it’s not going to be cheap. Future baby.

4. manamana

^ Narcissus …

5. Dragon246

I am amazed by what people expected out of the show.
    Tv, mobile, multimedia etc. were all there. That is what is about. Xperia Z was the most important thing out of the show, and has received due attention. I didn’t know Scott Lowe and his band at IGN were that big a fools. They were expecting got new phone, tv etc. and only not a ps4 and that was enough to upset their appetite.

6. Belmont

This post is pointless. CES has next to nothing to do with gaming so anyone expecting gaming things was wrong from the beginning.It is about TVs and other audio/video products with some exceptions like Nvidia or Intel doing this and that. Even Smartphones aren’t that much present in CES. However I understand that the announcement of SHIELD might have something to do with these expectations.
    I think that at a proper occasion Sony reveals a worthy PS3 successor. It may be Feb 25th or not.

7. Dave Cook

@6 not really, I’m simply putting to bed rumours that suggested PS4 would be announced there. I think it’s important to note that Sony was taking a very odd stance in its presentation, which many believe has been fuelled by its falling financials – both games and other areas of the business included.

It’s all relative innit? :)

8. themadjock

I can’t see the PS4 supporting games in 4k a bit like most of the PS3 games couldn’t do 1080p, it’s just too much. You need a high end PC to push 4k at the moment with decent frame rates. An AMD A10 on it’s own is no where near powerful enough to support this with its iGPU it would need a descrete card of the 7950 level or higher to do this justice

9. Belmont

#7
    Well,perhaps I went a bit too fast ! Sorry.
    But I still don’t get it.What was odd in that presentation?

10. Erthazus

@8,
    ” You need a high end PC to push 4k at the moment with decent frame rates.”

High end PC’s are not actually ready for 4K gaming to be honest. It’s the future, but not now. My PC will explode in 4K and my PC is really good for now and Next Gen ready.

@Sony246, “Tv, mobile, multimedia etc. were all there. That is what is about. ”

Yeah, and everything that they announced was irrelevant. Just wait for one week, go to http://www.gizmodo.com and read “BEST in CES 2013″ and you will see a lot of companies that made something good and future proof, except for Sony.

Sony is the next THQ.

11. Dragon246

@10,
    I see you are hurt by the fact that shield will be DOA.

12. Erthazus

@11, I don’t care for the Shield and I’m not going to buy it. But you care a Lot, I see.

Btw, one thing for sure that they are going to push TEGRA 4 with that shield and it will be successfull, not like your precious shitty Sony products that does not sell. Nvidia makes a lot of profits, Sony doesn’t. Schwing!

13. Dave Cook

@9 It was the way Hirai kept on highlighting that Sony had been doing things its competitors are doing for years and better, but not backing up the ‘better’ part. It was said that it felt like they were almost auctioning themselves off, as if trying to show the world they still have value, but without the products or stats to back it up.

In short, they’re in real trouble. 2013 could be rocky for them.

14. Dragon246

Then are betting on vita vs shield? If not, then you are just blabbering nonsense.
    Also, maybe you convincing yourself only, but a fact for you. Sony is sitting on 11b$ of cash whil entire nvidia is worth 5b$.
    So you see nvidia is nothing in front of sony or even intel.
    Not that it matters though. Unless someone is a fanboy who whines continuously.

15. Erthazus

http://gizmodo.com/5974007/sonys-new-affordable-4k-tvs-are-really-amazing – UHDTV 4K from Sony.

It is actually looks really good in my opinion. But it will cost a lot.

http://gizmodo.com/5938854/sonys-4k-tv-is-mammoth-and-beautiful-and-we-want-it-now – 84 inch TV is okay… I guess.

@Sony246, 11b of cash? LOL. They don’t make any money, Sony fanboy. You understand that or no? They don’t. Each year there are financial losses.
    Nvidia does and it’s not going to sell itself off and it is relevant, but Sony’s future on the other hand… no money, lost technology leadership and basically most of it’s products are a failur and you ara a Sony fanboy brah.

16. Dragon246

“In short, they’re in real trouble.”
    Uhh, I don’t quite get the feeling.

“It was the way Hirai kept on highlighting that Sony had been doing things its competitors are doing for years and better, but not backing up the ‘better’ part. It was said that it felt like they were almost auctioning themselves off, as if trying to show the world they still have value, but without the products or stats to back it up”
    Every company says that. Thats the hallmark of these kinds of shows. You should understand that.
    Also they showed products, great ones at that. Xperia Z is great.
    I think some portion of games media like IGN are unjustified bashing it since they expected too much. I agree the attitude was overbearing, but thats the case with each show, not only sonys.

Apples and oranges. Maybe you should understand that.

17. Get_crazy

@Erthazus Oh god, you’re bragging around, calling others ‘fanboy’ but you’re a hater and that’s even worst. Plus, even if some of the things you say are actually true, you really sound like a massive douchebag ‘brah’.

‘Shwing!’

18. Dave Cook

@16 Maybe you don’t mate, but a lot of people do. I’m not saying this to be anti-Sony or anything but they – along with other platform holders – are losing a lot of money. Something has to change.

4K TVs and a new phone that will be outsold by Samsung and Apple isn’t the answer they need.

19. Dragon246

@Dave
    I get that. Sony isn’t doing great in us and uk, so most negativity arises from there, understandably so. Whereas go anywhere else, they are doing much better.
    I don’t know what better they can do other than announcing a great phone and hoping for the best. They have a winner with Xperia Z, now they need the marketing push. Even Samsung took 3 phones to get it right, this is sonys first serious attempt, and it shows.
    Off topic, really excited for the awards announcement! All games mentioned there are real gems.

20. G1GAHURTZ

I walked past a giant 4K tv the other day, and the thing nearly gave me a migraine!

It reminded me of the days of 17″ CRTs running at 50Hz…

If 4K can only run at low refresh rates, they can keep it.

21. Dave Cook

@19 Not in Japan either mate. They posted big losses back in Dec. I’m not saying they can’t reverse the trend though. I’m sure PS4 will help a lot. The market as whole needs a spark it seems.

Yeah me too, it’s ace to get you guys involved on the front page :)

22. Dragon246

@Dave
    Japan case is a curious one. Sony is performing much better than the local competition, like sharp, panasonic etc. But sony gets more noticed, hence more negativity towards them.
    They have released some potential winners here (changed my previous post a bit), now if only they could use their hollywood division for an awesome marketing plan for xperia z, they could give samsung a run for their money, who also took years and many iterations before finally having a stake for the throne with s3.
    Phone biz is really volatile. Nokia was phones a decade ago, now they are selling theid HQ!

23. Mike W

I’m sorry Dave, but this article appears like you’re trying to stir up a whole bunch of crap for no reason. Who are these other sources that you’re referring to about Sony’s presentation? Because I’ve only seen IGN’s opinion on the show. Also it seems like you bunched a whole bunch of other articles into this one that we already know about. I’m not sure what you were trying to do here, but what did you expect Sony to show?

Sony is a huge company that has its hands in a lot of pots, so it made sense for them to show off their new TVs and phones. I bet you if they didn’t show anything, you’ll probably be stating, “Sony will fall in 2013″. :)

Answer me this, why does media praise Apple (for example) when they show off their phones and TVs and when it comes Sony, they get hammered?

24. Dave Cook

@23 It might appear that way, but I’m not, I assure you.

25. Clupula

Man, everyone should check out this article about how furious people are with Sony for patenting the thing that would prevent their system from playing used games!

Oh wait…it’s from 2006, before the PS3 even came out, and people made a lot of noise over absolutely nothing back then too. Just wanted to point this out, since the article makes it seem like the patent actually means something and everyone should be furious with Sony over it.

26. Dave Cook

@22 it’s incredible volatile yeah, and I think that mobile is one area that could see some high-profile casualties from 2013 onward. it’s going to become a savage market that’s for sure :)

27. Dragon246

Just to add, tech sites like verge etc. are impressed with sonys show. They liked how they simplified their product lineup (like cybershot) and also introduced new exciting devices.
    In other words, the crowd that the show was intended for is quite happy.

And the patent was from 2000!

28. Clupula

Exactly!

29. DrDamn

I think HTC could be a mobile casualty unless they pull something out the bag soon. They had a lot of momentum but a massive drop in profits last year.

I have a HTC HD7 currently – I’ll never buy another HTC phone. Too many issues purely down to the handset (Battery, wifi, camera).

30. ps3fanboy

and you don’t get it at all.. if no one says anything sony would have gone through withe the anti used games patent in 2006. consumer must raise their voice publicly and say no. that is how you get to the big companies these days, and being a quit mouse don’t help.

high end pc’s of today and the new nextgn consoles will probably not run in 4K. but the tv will upscale all games to 4k… so then you will have 4k gaming.

31. Da Man

They have a winner with Xperia Z
    Stopped reading here.

No amount of marketing, advertising or lies is going to sell that one.

Sorry, late to the Phony party. Again.

Better announce some space age format and a new Dualshock.

32. Erthazus

@30,
    “so then you will have 4k gaming.”

upscaling is not 4K. PS3 upscale games to 1080p. That is not 1080p at all.

33. fearmonkey

@32 – You are so right on that.

I bought a 2560x1440p monitor and connected my xbox 360 to it and the upscaling is no noticeable on it compared to my normal 1080p monitor.
    Halo 4 is a lovely game, but the upscaling is distracting, and my PC plays at the native 2560 and its amazing.

On some of the “leaked” specs, the next xbox is said to be able to do 1440p, I imagine its probably just scaling it again.

34. Eddie Rodrigues

People were expecting more info on the, should I say, glorious Playstation brand (fanboy leveling 99%) but Sony is saving it up to their Playstation event next month, so it was kinda predictable that no PS4 was going to be shown there. Now Xperia Z: WANT. Sony is trying to expand more their electronics market by investing on non-gaming related hardware, and that beauty sure is their best shot at it since the smartphone market is overgrowing at high speeds. Although they are a great gaming company (I expect quotes from our fellow Erthazus on this one) they have to focus even more on it, and perhaps in February we will see the result of those efforts.

Read ‘those efforts’ as ‘Sony please do not add second-hand blocking and make more Vita releases’