Nvidia’s Project Shield won’t be sold at a loss, company assures

Tuesday, 8th January 2013 09:59 GMT By Dave Cook

Nvidia has stated that its Tegra-4 powered Project Shield console – which was revealed at CES yesterday – will not be sold at a loss. It makes a change from most consoles which are typically loss-leaders, in that their respective manufacturers hope to make back the loss on software or licensing deals.

Engadget reports that while the above is true for Sony, Microsft and Nintendo – that games are licensed to recoup hardware losses – the same cannot be said for Nvidia, as it is not in the game development or publishing business. Therefore, it can sell Project Shield on a raw hardware basis, retaining profits for itself.

Nvidia posted a blog update on the matter, and explained, “We’ll make our money by selling the device to gamers. This time-honored approach isn’t one we’re taking with Project Shield… our goal with it is to design and sell a truly great piece of hardware, one that fits comfortably in your hand, delights your eyes and blows out your ears.”

The console has attracted the attention of big-name companies such as Ubisoft and Epic Games, and a recent hardware trailer – rendered in real-time on the console – has sparked excitement among the gaming press.

Brenna posted an in-depth overview of Nvidia’s CES reveal and has run-down everything you need to know about the console. Check it out here.

1. js779

Looking at the big picture of what Nvidia is trying to do with their new console and what it is saying about the whole games business, I guess it’s save to say that Nvidia is really not involved in the next-gen console space and the AMD-rumors are true. Well, at least not if the company really means what it is propagating right now.

2. Dragon246

A device that needs a pc with 650+ nvidia card for pc plus a 400$ device itself only to stream pc data a few meters away.
    No thanks. PC Overlords will be interested though, since they like to waste money.

3. Erthazus

@Sony246, It’s a “feature” for Nvidia fans and not the reason to buy a handheld.

system has Tegra 4 which is enough to support future games that are going to look great. Too much fanboyism Sony246. PS Vita can’t do even That.

4. roadkill

Why would I want my ears to be blown out!? I like my ears. I need them. :)

@2 Lol PC overlords! But you’re right. We are pretty smart. There’s no point in hiding that.

5. fearmonkey

@2 – PC overlords lol…. Until you see how beautiful a game is with all the features maxed and at a high res, you really haven’t seen the game. Games like Skyrim, Prototype 2, Borderlands 2, and Assassins creed look great on console, they look amazing on PC. The gameplay is just as good on console but the immersion is far better on PC.

I was a PC overlord who became a console gamer then back to being a PC overlord. With most games supporting an Xbox controller, I really have no reason to buy the games for console anymore. Plus I pay much less for the games than console gamers do.

6. Eddie Rodrigues

@2 Good servants must spend money on vidya desires after all! (dafaq am I saying I’m the one who will spend more than R$4,000 on a new desktop ‘-.-)

Anywho, I’m not interested at all in this Shield thingy… okay it is a master piece but what is even the point? I mean, will we be able to play against PC gamers?

7. DSB

You can almost taste the platform fanboy insecurity.

@5 Honestly if I was paying that much more just to get a few extra pixels and a slightly wetter-looking Batman, I’d feel pretty bad about being a PC gamer. It’s nice, but it’s hardly “like being there”.

For me it’s always been about having a machine that I can do several different things on, all at once, without batting an eyelid. Playing a game, researching and writing a piece or commenting on VG247 is as easy as pressing alt-tab. And you can even watch a show while doing all of that.

That’s what I pay for :P