GameStop reports 15.6% drop in used software sales, digital sector up 40%

Tuesday, 8th January 2013 14:12 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

GameStop posted a 4.6% drop in sales for the nine weeks ending December 29, with global sales reaching $2.88 billion. Year-over-year sales declined 4.4 %, with US sales down 3.5% over the year prior, with international sales falling 6.4%. Hardware sales were down by 2.7% despite Wii U being around for the holidays and moving 320,000 units. New software sales fell 5.1%, while pre-owned software fell by 15.6%, a figure GameStop blamed on limited inventory “due to fewer new titles released throughout 2012 and less promotional activity negatively impacted sales compared to last year”. Digital sales, however, were up 40% year-over-year, and the firm’s global e-commerce sales were up 20.5%. Thanks, MCV.

1. CyberMarco

I wonder why people still buy from GS with so many cheaper alternatives available. Not to mention the hilarious used game prices!

#1 1 year ago
  2. viralshag

Out of interest, how did the WiiU do over Xmas? Was it a big hit or did another console snatch top seller?

I might have missed the story completely but would be interesting to know, if someone has a link… Thanks.

#2 1 year ago
  3. _LarZen_

Deliverd most of my console games to GS a week ago for a bunch of Steam cards. I think GS should get some kind of digital station in their stores where you can buy digital games with exclusive content and bonuses as you usaly do at GS.

And have sales just like Steam to draw costumers in to the stores.

Thoughts of a mad man or ?

#3 1 year ago
  4. Kabby

I think both the Xbox and PS3 outsold the WiiU over Christmas.

#4 1 year ago
  5. OlderGamer

I guessing that XB360 sold more units then both WiiU and PS3(maybe combined).

But I think the WiiU sales should be ahead of Wii sales at the same point. But not too sure yet, the numbers seem dicy and hard to gather. I am sure some numbers will come out at some point.

#5 1 year ago
  6. viralshag

I hope the WiiU does well despite my lack of wanting one myself (even though I was nearly tempted over Xmas) but I am glad to see/hear/hope the 360 continuing to do well. It’s easily my console of choice when I’m not on the PC.

#6 1 year ago