Valve to reveal Linux-based Steambox in 2013 – report

Monday, 7th January 2013 02:54 GMT By Brenna Hillier

According to reports out of Germany, Valve’s long-rumoured Steambox will turn up this year.

According to German IT news site Golem, Valve engineer Ben Krasnow attended SSIM 2013 and there confirmed that the company has a console-like piece of hardware in the works.

The Steambox is said to run on Linux, not Windows, and will be revealed during 2013. Steam’s couch-friendly Big Picture mode, Linux client and controller experiments certainly lend a tang of believability to the unverified report.

Krasnow is also said to have promised further hardware reveals this year, and mentioned that Valve is working on AR and VR tech as well as secret projects.

Thanks, GameInformer.

1. Christopher Jack

I’m curious about compatibility. I won’t pretend to know how Direct X works but I know that most games require it. Will the console simply lack games, will Valve release a work around or will they somehow work a deal with MS?

2. polygem

just what i’ve been waiting for. my machine is dying and i feel like skipping ps4 and nextbox or at least on of those. was thinking about getting some sort of gaming pc anyway. steambox, wiiu, 3ds, sounds fantastic to me. just right. i can keep ”collecting” nintendo games and buy some digital games from steam. all clean and nice. not 3 systems, lots of controllers, different headsets and tons of games lying around anymore. i have an old steam account that i don’t use anymore with, cod4, half life2, left4dead and some more games on it. would like to use a fresh one as well though. hope you can use two accounts on it. already made one recently with my new tag to be steamboxready. really interested in pricing now and more infos in general….linux? so my 360 for windows controller wont work on it? will there be a steam controller? wait a minute, bungies destiny on steam now? option to use mouse keyboard or controller? wow. seriously, this is cool news. thx guys.

3. Telepathic.Geometry

FUCK YEAH!!! Isn’t this like MEGA FUCKING TONNE NEWS or something?

4. Edo

Speculate away,that’s Valve for you.

5. locus2k1

Sounds great… I just hope it doesn’t follow the typical “Valve Time” Development schedule… Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big fan of their releases, but Half Life 2: Episode 1 was the first of a “monthly” released trilogy :D

6. polygem

haha indeed. steambox 2020…ouch

7. Erthazus

YES! FUCK PS4 or XBOX 720.

they just need to make Half-Life 3 exclusive to Steam Box and gamers will jerk off buying this thing. Valve. COME ON. shake the industry.

8. Christopher Jack

I actually don’t expect much. I won’t be interested unless they can supply me a package that’d be cheaper than I can build myself, if they can’t do that I may as well get a console.

9. roadkill

Yes! \o/

edit: And I bet your Linux-compatible Steam games will be available to play on the Steambox at launch. :)

10. freedoms_stain

@1, games will have to be re-coded to work with OpenGL.

@8, my hope would be that they will distribute the “Steambox” Linux distro for free so any PC builder can build a “steambox” or muti-boot with the OS if they want.