“Nintendo weakness” and “gamer fatigue” to blame for poor 2012 sales, says Pachter

Monday, 7th January 2013 16:41 GMT By Dave Cook

This Thursday the NPD Group will publish its December sales report and according to Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter the news will not be cheerful. The decline of Call of Duty and Nintendo’s inability to spark strong sales are just two key areas of concern for the analyst.

GI.Biz reports that Pachter places software sales decline at 11% for the year – a dip he attributed to “continuing gamer fatigue and sustained Nintendo weakness.”

Call of Duty sales are down 20% with Black Ops 2 marking the beginning of a clearly visible downturn, and that Halo 4 – Pachter said – has failed to meet “lofty expectations.” Elsewhere the Wii U suffered what Pachter called an “underwhelming launch” and that Nintendo has been weak overall throughout 2012, a sentiment echoed by Wii U titles failing to reach the upper tier of the UK charts. That said, Pachter stated that Wii U sales in the US were up 59% in December with 675,000 units shifted for the month.

Surprisingly, Pachter stated, “It is clear to us that those companies who primarily focused on traditional gamers were largely unscathed by the declines over the last few years, and those same companies will disproportionately benefit once traditional gamers drive industry sales into positive territory in 2014 and beyond.”

It’s strange that this quote should come today, the same day that Nvidia unveiled its Project Shield console, new rumours regarding a Valve console surfaced and where pundits have called time on the home console market, saying that the time of – as Pachter puts it – ‘traditional gamers’ is coming to pass.

That said, Pachter predicts big sales for BioShock Infinite, Dead Space 3 and a little game called GTA 5, but feels that the decline will continue until the launch of next-gen formats, which is when Pachter says we’ll see the industry dust itself off once more. He predicted the turnaround would truly kick off in 2014.

Pachter said this will likely be down to publishers releasing an, “unprecedented number of new IP launches in the first two years of the cycle, providing relief from gamer fatigue.”

Now over to you readers. Is Pachter speaking sense, or is there no real cause for concern. Let us know what you think below.

1. Dragon246

^^^THIS^^^

2. Fin

The bit about unprecedented new IP sounds exciting!!

3. Eddie Rodrigues

I don’t know why but every time Patcher makes an announcement it truly changes the way I see the industry as a whole. I’m not kidding his logic is superb.

4. Cobra951

Core gamers are dependable future sources of income, while casual dabblers are not? Who would have thunk!

5. j1015

Listening to Pachter can have hazardous side effects.

They include:
    Overreacting
    Becoming a moron
    Living in a delusional state

6. OlderGamer

I don’t see much changing over the course of the year. Even if a new console comes out it won’t be until fall/winter. New game prices won’t be coming down. And new IPs? Maybe once new systems come out, again won’t dramiticly impact this year. But even then I don’t see new trip a IPs flooding out. I see investers/pubs wanting to stick to what they know are proven brands. Esp when trying to establish a foothold in a new gen.

I would expect a bevey of smaller studios putting out new games. But I have to wonder what type of impact that will make either.

Btw did I read that right?

675,000 WiiU systems sold in December? Combine that with 400,000 sold at launch, and that is well over a million. How many did they expect it to sell? Seems fair enough to me.

7. fearmonkey

@6 – The Wii U did great, they are disappointed that it didn’t sell like the first Wii did, but that wasn’t going to happen.

This generation went too long, but im not sure if MS or Sony believe that. They have tried to milk it as much as possible but its not been good for the industry really. I wonder if they will try going this long without a new console again, though many believe this is the last console generation anyay (which I highly doubt).

PC is going gangbusters again and the consoles are shrinking, will the next consoles bring everyone back again, we shall see…

There is one title that I cannot wait to play, if its a luanch title for console only, then that might might make me buy the next xbox. That game is Watch dogs!

8. stevenhiggster

It’s not often I’ll agree with him but on this occasion I think he is correct.

9. j1015

@7 Watch Dogs is slated as current gen, but I could see it being pushed back. If that’s the case, that title and Star Wars 1313 will make me buy a next gen, as long as it doesn’t have “always connected” and plays used games. If not, PC for life.

10. monkees19

Isn’t Patcher the guy who is like, always wrong? Like horribly wrong? Or am I thinking about someone else?

11. Dave Cook

@10 not always no. Back at my old job he told me in an interview that Steam were looking into trade-ins. We ran the story, he called us out as saying we had made up his quote. We took the story down and within three months bam – Steam trade-ins were announced.

That really fucked me off at the time. Wasn’t happy.