InSANE: del Toro in talks with “very, very big company”

Sunday, 6th January 2013 23:08 GMT By Brenna Hillier

InSANE, filmaker Guillermo del Toro’s trilogy of horror games, has attracted interest from a major player.

In the same Toronto Sun interview in which del Toro discussed GlaDOS’s appreance in Pacific Rim, del Toro said he’s forged ahead to find a new partner after THQ regretfully dropped the project due to financial difficulties.

“We are in talks with a very, very big company. I can’t say who, but it’s one of the big ones. They really responded to the game, they responded to what we were trying,” he said.

“Some of the devices of the game I need to update, because now I’ve seen them in other games that just came out. That always happens. But the principle we’re trying to do with the game is to make it a really immersive narrative experience. It’s still a really challenging proposal.”

We don’t know very much about InSANE, but in November we heard whispers it was back in development. It’s supposed to be a horror action affair, described as a Lovecraftian sandbox, and said to include all del Toro’s dream features. It’s apparently really, really nasty. Del Toro wants to be very hands on with it.

1. Maximum Payne

I really hope its not EA. We all know what happened…with every ip.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Clupula

EA is the first company that popped into my head.

Activision wouldn’t touch it unless they can make it a yearly franchise. EA would, at least, give it two years in between.

It would be interesting, though, if it actually went first party.

#2 1 year ago
  3. NeoSquall

Activision would be interested in it just because the name reminds them of a quality abundant in their upper offices.

#3 1 year ago
  4. TD_Monstrous69

I’m gonna throw a name in the hat, Sony. I mean, who wouldn’t want to see Sony Santa Monica make a horror title? Plus, they’re a development house with immense talent that has collaborated with other studios to make some really great games in the indie space, who’s to say they couldn’t work with Del Torro? Though my 2nd choice seems more likely, and that’s Ubisoft. They’ve got the talent and resources to do it, and it would seem to fit really well, seeing as how it’d give em a new franchise going into the next generation (other than WatchDogs, that is).

#4 1 year ago
  5. HauntaVirus

I’ll guess Sony, EA, or Mircrosoft. Hopefully Sony.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Dragon246

I seriously doubt it would be a platform exclusive. But it would be good if sony picks it up, they have a hands-off approach with devs, unlike other major pubs.

#6 1 year ago
  7. SameeR_Fisher

well with a 2015 release date, it seems so far away, TBH I was expecting it a bit more closer than that.

Anyway this is great, I am totally interested in it, I was quite sad that THQ gave up on it, but now I hope it gets back on track ASAP, yet I am interested to know what kind of devices did he find used in other games.

As for the company, people thinks its EA, and that makes sense, yet EA got Dead Space which is horror, and Dante’s Inferno which is hack n slash vs Monsters, so I am not really sure they are the ones, maybe it is Square Enix or Ubisoft ?!, Ubisoft got not similar, and Square likes such stuff, they took Sleeping Dogs ((True Crime Hong Kond)), well whoever the publisher/developer is, I hope they don’t ruin it.

#7 1 year ago
  8. The_Red

Wishful thinking but hey, one can dream: Valve doing the InSane!

#8 1 year ago
  9. LuLshuck

I heard he was at MercurySteam studios a couple of months ago, could be with them

#9 1 year ago
  10. Phoenixblight

Not sure where you heard that. He did find a studio didn’t mention with whom and now he apparently has a publisher.

#10 1 year ago
  11. LuLshuck

@10 i saw it awhile back on a facebook page, like this artist guy had his own page and posted a pic of him and del toro together

#11 1 year ago
  12. Phoenixblight

I doubt it because there is nothing about it in any news and MercurySteam is working on Castlevania

#12 1 year ago