Beyond: Two Souls engine change “totally absurd”

Sunday, 6th January 2013 23:43 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Beyond: Two Souls uses a new engine because Quantic Dream is “crazy”, according to studio boss David Cage.

Speaking to Shack News, Cage said Quantic Dream’s use of an all-new, even fancier engine for Beyond: Two Souls is not actually a sensible business decision.

“Does it make sense from a company point of view? Not really, to be honest. Being the CEO of the company, I can tell you that it’s totally absurd,” he said.

“But we enjoy it so much. We’re a team of passionate people. This is ‘what we should have done,’ but we’ve done something else.”

Cage said he and his team aren’t in game development to make sensible business decisions.

“We’re just crazy people. We don’t do this for money or fame. We want to take risks because we enjoy trying to push the envelope,” he said.

Beyond: Two Souls is a PlayStation 3 exclusive due sometime this year, possibly in late May.

1. _LarZen_

If it only came to a pc where the allready nice gfx would just blow our minds…..but Sony is probably paying big to keep it exclusive.

2. Clupula

Can’t wait for this. If it’s even half as good as Heavy Rain, I will be overjoyed with it.

3. Talkar

This is the beginning of a new Duke Nukem: Forever x)

4. Phoenixblight

Their games aren’t exclusive to PS3 because of David Cage loves the PS3 so much.

5. woe

Fancier engine or not, this game is practically a quick time event.

6. Stephen220378

@_LarZen_

Sony don’t have to pay big to keep it exclusive, it’s their game, they financed it and they own the IP, it makes perfect sense for Sony to want to keep their big games exclusively for the PS3. Unfortunately for PC owners, Quantic Dream have no say in the matter.

7. Beta

@WOE Ah right, so you’ve played it from start to finish have you?

8. spyralab

@STEPHEN220378: your comment is invalid in some points:

an IP is a game + its sequels or updates. Sony owns the rights of Heavy Rain and not even that has to be fully the case.

a NEW game from the same studio is a completely NEW IP. Got that?

Unless QD makes Heavy Rain 2 they are free to decide which publisher to choose.

Now you could say: They use the engine that was used for HeavyRain. But that’s not thecase, they wrote a new one as other press releases suggest.
    And even the Heavy Rain engine is not necessarily the property of Sony. Or did you have a look into the contracts Quantic Dreams has with Sony? I don’t think so. :)

So either Sony is in fact paying biiig money or David Cage loves the Playstation.

It got nothing to do with the wrongly used word ‘IP’.

Beyond two souls is its own IP.

9. Gekidami

^ Beyond Two Souls is indeed its own IP… But Sony owns it too…

10. monkeygourmet

It’s because PS3 has Bluray, and we all know; Bluray is the best format for movies. :)

11. monkeygourmet

It’s a leap of faith but, come on dude, he’s probably right.

12. Dragon246

Looks like people forgot vg247 community winner 2012 was a essentially a QTE game.

Video Games-
    A video game is an electronic game that involves human interaction with a user interface to generate visual feedback on a video device.

In other words, Walking Dead and Heavy Rain and Mario and so on are all games, no exceptions.

13. monkeygourmet

Dude, walking Dead was entirely different.

Firstly, it was agreat adaptation of a proven and popular genre. It used the source material in a clever and thought provoking way (the graphic novels obviously).

Secondly, it managed to prove that episodic games and this method of delivery really suits this genre.

Maybe this game or especially Heavy Rain would work better and sell more numbers if it was sold in a similar way?

Cage is obviously a wannabe film maker and that comes across in his style of gameplay.

14. Dragon246

@13,

15. DSB

I only played the Indigo Prophecy, but to me that felt like more of an action/stealth game where the gameplay had been replaced by QTEs and minigames.

I’d say The Walking Dead are closer to more traditional adventure games, where you’re really just making decisions, rather than manually performing actions.

16. Clupula

As someone who used to be a very big Dragon’s Lair player, when I was 9, I can tell you that they are two totally different experiences.

Heavy Rain has more in common with stuff like Monkey Island or The Walking Dead than Dragon’s Lair, Space Ace, or Asura’s Wrath (oh, I went there).

17. monkeygourmet

Your actually getting more stupid as time goes on, it really is quite impressive.

Heavy Rain is one of my favourite games on the PS3 and I like the look of this (basically day 1 unless it turns out awful).

However, your original comment:

“Looks like people forgot vg247 community winner 2012 was a essentially a QTE game”

which would only be written in response to:

“Fancier engine or not, this game is practically a quick time event.”

Is stupid, woe even mentions it’s a ‘game’. And if you have actually played his work, they are essentially interactive movies laced with QTE’s.

Thats his style.

No one was bashing it, sometimes you just have to see things for what they are.

18. monkeygourmet

Thats fine, if you want to subset. I would agree with you.

I was just trying to point out games that have an over arching focus on story laced with QTE’s.

I’d say Heavy Rain was a bit of both, also no mention of ShenMue? ;)

Also, I didn’t mean Walking Dead was a different type game, just the fact it won the community award was for a completly different reason than it being ‘essentially a QTE game’…

19. Dragon246

@17,
    Continue being a bigger monkey than you already are. I guess I really am stupid for trying to argue with a monkey.

20. Clupula

@18 – Never played Shenmue, actually, even though I owned a Dreamcast.

21. Clupula

I had been planning on buying it and then Peter Moore announced that the sequel was going to be exclusive to the X-Box, instead of the Dreamcast, in the States, so I figured there was no point in starting the series.

22. monkeygourmet

You seemed to have leaned on your ‘generic lame ass comeback’ button again…

You really need to get that fixed.

To be honest it wasn’t my cup of tea, tried it for a bit and couldn’t get on with it.

I bet it has aged awfully too!

23. Kabby

Shenmue back in the day was an epic experience. These days it’s just another dodgy Dreamcast game.

24. Ireland Michael

@22 Don’t lecture people about lameass comments when you keep constantly insulting them in the process. It just makes you look like a hypocrit.

25. Dragon246

@24,
    Thanks man :)

26. polygem

i was very very impressed by shenmue back then…
    i haven’t even finished heavy rain. not for me.
    i will follow beyond, but i am very sceptical.
    @monkey…don’t waste your time man ;) i wasted hours of my life on this :)

27. monkeygourmet

Where was the lecture?

I just don’t bother sugar coating my replies anymore. Especially when it feels like I’m banging my head on the fucking wall trying to get any sensible points across.

28. monkeygourmet

In Sonic Allstars Racing, I think you can unlock the Shenmue guy and he uses his forklift as a kart! :)

Or did I dream that…

29. Ireland Michael

@24 You’re just as guilty as he is.

@27 Whether you agree with someone or not, name calling just makes you look like a big child.

30. monkeygourmet

Holy shit, take off your Head Master Mortar board for a minute and put your cane down!

Your going to ask me to share my sweets with the rest of the forum posters next I suppose?!

I’ve made it very clear in most of my posts what my views are. What Dragon has started to do, which is fun for about 2 seconds, is just instantly jump to some random conclusion then try and start a to and fro of completely inane bullshit.

Sometimes I’m in the mood, sometimes I’m not.

Thing is, he is exactly the type of Sony fan boy that gets on my tits.

31. Dragon246

@Michael,
    You maybe right, but as you may have seen here, its only in retaliation . Although I am really bored getting worked up over nothing, I can ignore guys like DM and Monkey fine. At least that’s something I need to thank DM about :D
    Btw, you meant #25 right?

32. monkeygourmet

After I have made an obvious joke at the start of the posting, I then try and have a discussion (something your obviously uncomfortable with) and end my point with:

“I enjoyed Heavy Rain, but I certainly wouldn’t class it up there with games like Journey or Skyrim. It was an multimedia experience like Dragins Lair.”

Key words: I enjoyed!

What was your next reply?

“In other words, its a video game that you don’t like, but its still a video game.”

Are you mental?

I just said I enjoyed it dipshit…

This is exactly why I call you an idiot and a troll.

You don’t even read stuff that people post half the time…

33. polygem

that’s exactly the point mg. you can praise the shit out of something involving sony but if there is a tiny little thing that you don’t like too…nothing else matters, you just turned into the enemy. it makes zero sense to have a discussion anymore.

34. monkeygourmet

I R FUSTRATE! :D

35. polygem

36. Kuwabara

Both heavy rain and walking dead, which i just started episode 5, are awesome and the same type of game.

37. Dark

Heavy rain , walking dead and asura wrath etc , started a new genre for people who want a more story driven games.

stop complaining.

38. monkeygourmet

No ones complaining. These genre’s or types of games have always been around in one way or another.

It came from the desert on the Amiga was the first one I remember enjoying.

39. DSB

Wow, so people have actually blocked out adventure games to the point of mistaking them for a new genre?

40. Dark

@DSP .. next time use my name instead of using the word “people”
    i won’t bite.

41. Clupula

I think it’s because you’re not the only one who forgot about them.