Sony hosting Destination PlayStation event next month

Saturday, 5th January 2013 20:58 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony is hosting a Destination PlayStation which runs February 25 -28, where the firm will be showing off its upcoming releases for 2013. Rumor has it the firm may jump ahead of Microsoft and reveal its next PlayStation console at the event, but at present, the only confirmed news out of those who have received invites, is that PS3 and Vita titles will be discussed. The event is taking place in Scottsdale, Arizona and is attended mainly by retailers. Microsoft is rumored to be announcing its next Xbox console at E3 2013, and has put up a teaser site in order to build buzz ahead of the trade event. Thanks, Dragon246.

1. TD_Monstrous69

One thing I’m calling right now, Uncharted on the Playstation 4, and maybe they’ll show a glimpse of it there (then again, that’s just one of my hopes, a guy can dream, right)?

2. Erthazus

I don’t want to hear anything about PS3 to be honest.
    We need to move forward. The system is old as fuck and it needs a true sucessor with next gen games from Studios like Naughty Dog or Sucker Punch. Maybe Guerrilla’s new iP.

I’m interested to hear news about Vita, because currently Sony is failing the Vita hard.

3. Phoenixblight

You are going to. SOny has a few games coming out this year like Last of Us and Sony has said they will continue to ride the PS3. Deal.

4. polygem

i am not expecting much from sony these days…come on sony. surprise me!

5. OlderGamer

Me either Poly. At this point it would take alot from either MS or Sony to impress me. I am afraid that their new systems will be pushing TV services and other media and apps to a point where games will be an after thought. And unless they both incorperate a second screen(included in every box) playing on a next gen system will be like playing on Steam in Big Picture Mode. Other then the graphical upgrades, it is going to feel like the same old shit.

I would love to see games evolve. But I just don’t see that happening.

I am going to try hard to keep an open mind as we see bits of this or that being revieled. But I am not too keen or optimistic.

6. Christopher Jack

Secondary screen? I don’t see the point when I look at the DS… All it’ll do is add an unnecessary premium for a quality screen or a cheap screen that’s not worth looking at. I’ve no realistic expectations for the future of video games but I am certain that multiple displays are not the future.
    I have a TV consistently hooked up to my laptop while it’s at home- it’s sole use while playing video games is for watching movies & television shows.
    If I have any idea of the future of video games, I’d imagine we’d all be wearing 3D goggles with sensors- a sort of primitive virtual reality device but we’d still be dependent on controllers. Perhaps a combination of said headgear & some more advanced & Accurate Kinect like camera could be our first real step into a virtual reality device.

7. Clupula

I for one, will not be upgrading my system for a few years, so I very much hope Sony treat the PS3 the way they treated the PS2 and keep announcing new PS3 stuff for, at least, the next two years. I will be furious, for example, if Last Guardian is moved to PS4. Probably enough to just pick it up used whenever I do upgrade.

8. Clupula

@6 – They’re basically saying they want Sony to rip off the Wii U, which I hope they don’t. If the PS4 does not use a Dual Shock, I will not be buying a PS4.

9. Erthazus

Next Gen 100% will use Tablet controller in MS/Sony’s console and it’s not because of Nintendo.

It’s just Touch devices so far is the current gen technology most people use. In my opinion that technology is crap, but masses use it. Deal with it.

10. OlderGamer

No doubt VR will be apart of video games future. They are working on it now. But for right now(this up and coming gen) the latency is an issue as well as production costs. I could link, but am too lazy right now.

Erth is right, they won’t follow Nintendo persay, because Nintendo is just following the market. MS and Sony would be wise to do the same. But I am not sure they will. I suspect features that use Smart Glass and features that use Vita, but neither one of those will offer the same level of integrartion found on WiiU. Or the adoption rate, etc etc.

I am just having a tuff time getting excited over a new gen of hardware. I know we need it. But if all that will happen is the same old game franchises in slightly better graphics…what is exciting about that? It will be like playing todays console games…but on a PC instead. Like Steams Big Picture.

I am already doing that. That isn’t exciting. I need the thing that takes gaming and shakes it up. Moves it forward, beyond purtty grafix…

They have to deliver something compeling is all I am saying. And while I am eager to hear what they have to say, I am not expecting much.

11. Christopher Jack

I wasn’t proposing a VR headset parse, but a VR-like concept that I made up on my head that’s probably already been patented. Pair of goggles coupled with headphones for the immersion, built in gyro-sensors & the likes for head movement & a 3D camera for body tracking.

12. SplatteredHouse

If we get new machines without fresh games it will not be good at all. (I would be delighted to see a launch lineup of new focuses from any of these) Sony taking the lead is a move I would appreciate. It shows acceptance that they’ve gotten to grips with the situation Microsoft took advantage of, last time, and a determination that they won’t follow again. It would be best (do you think it likely?) that we get two distinctly different consoles.

13. Dragon246

I like how ninty fans are saying everyone should copy ninty, and then if that happens, they will go “EVERYONE COPIZ NINTY, COPY KATZ”.
    It seems possible, but it would be a bad decision. Most games aren’t meant for 2 screens (looks at GOW, Halo, DMC, Bioshock and so on). Neither DS, 3DS or wiiu convinced me for it. Also, knowing how leaky sony is, we would have definitely heard about the existence of such a controller by now. Also MS is going all out with kinect 2, if they add another screen in the package then its going to be a 500$+ console, which no one buys, unless the hardware configuration is wiiu1.1

14. Phoenixblight

Vita and Microsoft Glass are out. Just needs games that utilize them.

15. polygem

i really hoped this would stop…
    clupula, you are talking ”they” again, eventhough og actually said something different than i did /i will agree with most of it though in a sec. patience ;)
    dragon is talking about nintendo fans wanting sony and ms to copy ninty so they can finally piss all over them again calling them copycats. all that is just happening in your head. let me tell you again. I WANT A STRONG SONY.
    guys, i am serious now. i think this should stop. i am ready for it and i am tired of this. i could just start to ignore your comments but i would prefer if we could reset things and try t get by with each other again. i said this many many times, i have a soft spot for nintendo, i love some of their games/ip’s but i really like a lot of the sony ip’s and i cannot imagine my gaming life without halo these days…in the end this is a videogame forum. people have opinions, they discuss. calling posters that agree a group per se, ‘ndf’ or ‘they” is not playing it fair imho, it’s not open minded and i really wish it would stop.
    that being said, i agree with erth and og :)
    touchpad is ”the thing” atm. we will see that nextgen. the masses just want it. like it or not. it works for a lot of stuff on the wiiu, so i am not mad about it. i wouldn’t write it off as a gimmick. if used with the right software, with creative ideas, it can be fantastic and really improve some games. miiverse is a good example too. it just adds a lot to the online, social, just by being able to write or draw stuff. small change, big difference. there will be regular controllers too but a touchpad will be involved somehow. the question is, will it be packed in or will it be vita for sony and smart glass (use any windows touchpad) for ms.
    anyway, ms, nintendo or sony could WOW me the most with awesome games. in that regard the gaming market hasn’t changed…it’s the games that matter. i was very very excited when the current gen rolled out. i am not even close to that excitment atm. somehow this is good though, there could be some real surprises other than just pimped out graphics on the same ol’ games just around the corner. i really hope so!

16. Da Man

I can’t spell and can’t put a sentence together but the stupid masses who don’t live off their parents’ money make me angry.

17. monkeygourmet

I think it IS important to see if Sony and MS embrace the ‘tablet’ pad.

Although Nintendo didn’t invent the tech, it was the first manufacturer to put in in the box alongside the console. (And no, PSP / Vita – PS3 connection doesn’t count.)

Will Sony fans who have been slagging Nintendo’s tablet pad off have courage to stand by their convictions and not purchase the new Sony machine? Nothing like cutting your nose of to spite your face is their? :)

Or will they be able to eat some humble pie and admit it can enhance gaming?

Only time will tell, I wouldn’t be suprised if Sony didn’t have the balls to change the Dualshock AGAIN even those it’s an awful pad.

Sony are the laziest company out there right now. Their sitting on sooooo much tech, christ, they produce most of it internally, yet they seem to squander it everytime.

I’ve yet to see how CELL and BLURAY (The original arguments for the PS3 superiority) have changed gaming in ANYWAY whatsoever.

And thats the crux of it for me. The machine was sold at a huge premium based on lies.

And that just sucks! :)

18. SplatteredHouse

Blu Ray is a medium on which to deliver content. It holds more data, allows improved clarity over DVD, supports updating “firmware” to facilitate delivering advances in functionality. That’s it. I’m not sure where you arrived at this notion, gourmet, of it revolutionising gaming from, beyond not needing multiple discs – but, whatever it may have been intended to do for gaming was curtailed as developers were reluctant to prioritise the tech, since doing so would likely alienate players of the other machine, left with a distinctly inferior copy.
    Instead, they prioritised the less advanced, unfocused mainstream platform and stifled at least one aspect of HD entertainment in the process.

19. Telepathic.Geometry

Give me that, and let the devs concentrate on making something new and creative, and not struggling with new hardware for a change. I felt that the Wii, and to some extent the Wii U have that going for them, but because the majority of devs won’t get on board, or will do so too late, I think we need Sony and MS to do it.

20. monkeygourmet

There were huge debates on the unvieling of PS3 and the positives of Bluray for gaming.

What actually happened was it gave devs an excuse not to compress things as much.

In actual fact, the speed of the drive actually made it WORSE for gaming IMO.

The arguement it was going to enhance gameplay was a fallicy. Well, i guess it does help with Audio (7.1) and HD cutscenes but thats not what really matters.

The PS3 was sold as a much more powerful machine than the 360 (“next gen starts when WE say so” etc…)

Bluray & CELL were part of the ‘big sell’, and it was all a bit of a shame really.

Then we had people bullshitting like CAPCOM etc…

Lost Planet 2 was going to be better but we had to cut it down because of 360 disc size… Yeah whatever lol :)

Nothing gets cut in this industry because of disc space, thats bullshit. It just gets repackaged and sold to us as a sequel, or DLC.

Skyrim is about 50 times as big and more complicated than Lost Planet 2, and that fits on ONE 360 DVD.

Go figure.

21. Dragon246

Thats the thing. They need to be optional if needed, unlike wiiu. Although both vita (too pricey to be included in ps4) and glass (meant to get information, not play games imo and lack of standardised hardware) have their own problems, so it remains to be seen.

To others,
    “touchpad is ”the thing” atm. we will see that nextgen. touchpad is ”the thing” atm. we will see that nextgen. the masses just want it. like it or not”
    Yep, masses want it as wiiu is selling like hotcakes. Oh wait….
    “Sony are the laziest company out there right now”
    Yeah, ps brand is dying too right? Oh wait (again)….
    Most popular gaming brand in the world is ps.

What did you expected from him? He is a guy completely smittened by “zen-like” ninty magic and thinks waggle controls are a evolution but blu-ray isn’t, even though it will be used by ms too in next-gen.

I am absolutely sure we wont be seeing bc, unless you want to buy ps4 for 500$ again. They should release a basic console for 350$ and then a enthusiast version for 450-500 imo.

22. monkeygourmet

Sony have been involved in nearly every ‘format war’ since mass media & storage began.

Bluray in PS3 was for one thing only. To establish it in homes, nothing to do with gaming.

Need I mention 3D, UMD, Unsupported Tablets, Move? How did they work out for Sony?

Media monopoly is Sony’s main priority, not games. Thats just a fact.

I wonder what they will do with Gaikai?

Trying to corner another market eh? Good luck, only about 5 years too late.

The sooner you realise Sony aren’t personally looking out for you the better.

23. OlderGamer

CJ – I think this is a glimpse. Either where they are right now or where they want to go. Too early to tell what the final product will look like at this point, but there is heavy money being invested by various parties here and there.

TG – “Honestly what I’d love to see from a technical side is just: 60FPS, 1080P, BC, Zero load-time.

Give me that, and let the devs concentrate on making something new and creative,”

Best thing you can do is game on PC. It is the closest you are going to get to that stuff. When a Console dev gets at a point where they can go 1080p at 60fps, they will make the choice NOT to, in favor of more texturing or better lighting. They will chose more detail over max rez/fps options. They could do 1080p at 60fps on the current gen systems. I am hoping for the same types of specs as you, and maybe they will suprise me. But I kind of think that at some point they all hit that line. The line that says stay on this side for 1080p/60fps or cross the line and on the other side we can up the detail in the game.

But if you want 1080p/60fps, PC already offers it. Has been for a while now. Load times are just what they are. Large games need time to load. That isn’t likly to improve next gen.

Dragon – “Thats the thing. They need to be optional if needed, unlike wiiu.”

That is exactly why they will fail to deliver the same feature laden and emersive experience found on Nintendos WiiU. If only 25 people out of 100 PS owners also own a Vita, there is zero chance that every dev will put time/money into dev for second screen when 75% of the market doesn’t even have the ability to use that content.

Even if you just stick maps, stats, inven, quest locs, radars, and other varrious info on the second screen like DSII, ZombiU, AssCredIII, and more it is a big improvement and 100% of the audiance/market can use it.

That is a night and day difference.

As far as copying Nintendo, yes they should. The industry has been barrowing features from itself ever scince I can recall. I wouldn’t have made Move to copy WiiMotes. But if they don’t copy second/touch screen they are foolish.

I think the whole thing is mute tho, won’t be too long when a tablet will hook to your TV, use wireless game pads, and offer second/touch screen via the tablet itself. Cause I think that is coming down the road too. It might be what replaces the next gen consoles.

As far as WiiU not selling, I think it is a clear warning to everyone else. Price matters a lot more now then it used to. WiiU is just too expensive right now. Also we are at a point when graphics have stoped being the focul point of moving hardware. If MS/Sony put out a glittery box that is expensive, they won’t move either. And just for the record WiiU out sold Wii during launch.

I think dedicated and expensive hardware is going to have a tuff time. Been saying that for years. WiiU needs a price cut. And MS/Sony need to price their new systems in the 300usd ballpark or they will need price cuts too. If new systems launch at 450usd and the old systems are in the 150usd area, I expect them to grossly out sell the new systems.

Interestingly enough, check out my new forums post. Would enjoy the feed back and descusion.

24. Dragon246

@OG,
    “That is exactly why they will fail to deliver the same feature laden and emersive experience found on Nintendos WiiU”
    Thats your opinion. It offers little to many people, myself included.
    “But if they don’t copy second/touch screen they are foolish.”
    Its good for an optional idea like move or kinect, bad if implemented like wiiu. Unlike ninty, they don’t need new “exotic” hardware to sell their systems.
    Also, take my word, a 350$ ps4 or 720 will sell more than wiiu. But they could sell less to as both will compete with each other.
    One more thing, wiiu is not selling well, but its far from a failure. I will give it atleast another 6-12 months before making a judgement.

@22,
    “Media monopoly is Sony’s main priority”
    Yeah, so what? Thats not my concern. Their service to their customers is good, thats all that matters to me, unlike you who just hates sony name.
    “not games”
    Yeah, that is why they have no studios and no exclusive games, oh wait wait wait….
    They have 12 first party studios, largest in the industry.
    They have most exclusives out of the 3, and most of them are awesome.
    List for 2013,
    Ni no kuni, Xillia, TokiTowa, Last of us, Soul sacrifice, Killzone, Beyond, One piece and so many more.

25. DrDamn

@MG
    A bluesy drive is generally poor for gaming use, at least it was not sure on current tech. Biggest issue is seek speed.

One point though … “What actually happened was it gave devs an excuse not to compress things as much”. This isn’t correct. Drive speed is a big issue for BR and DVD, this is why stuff is compressed. So just because the space is there you don’t use it to store stuff uncompressed as that is bad for load times. It is quicker to compress making load times quicker and decompress on loading.

26. OlderGamer

Dragon –

“I really feel sorry for you since your blatant hate for sony makes you miss some of the best games this gen, both on home consoles and handhelds.”

Right back at you man, only substitue the word Sony with Nintendo.

As for WiiU/Wii launch numbers.

Wii sold 300,000 at launch

WiiU did 400,000 at launch

I have no idea what the long term sale figures will look like. Nor do I think WiiU has to match Wii sales numbers. I don’t think it will be possible. But that is the brilliance of Nintendos plan, they don’t need to out sell everyone else to be successful. I also have to wonder if the new MS/Sony systems are capible of launching for less then 400usd.

We will see.

27. Dragon246

@OG,
    “Right back at you man, only substitue the word Sony with Nintendo”
    Looks like you forgot that I played wiiu (and best jrpgs on wii, which were looking bad despite great art because of wii and waggle controls). Party games like nintyland aren’t my cup of tea. And gamepad is nothing special. Also, maybe you now understand why people refer to your group with names like ndf, since you feel to protect each others back while ignoring their blatant lies or bad language in some cases. Power to you.
    Also your figure for launch are so wrong. Check them out. Wii faced supply shortages, no such thing is for wiiu despite ninty market talk.
    This thread is for ps4 talk, so I am done arguing other things here.
    Someone from the past few days was saying how ninty gets all the hate, now their mates do the same for sony, and he is joining them. Guess that is called double standards.

28. monkeygourmet

You seem very short sighted.

It should matter to you as their arrogant follies and lust for media control may very well be their downfall.

It matters when they released stupidly over priced tech just for the sake of getting Bluray into homes.

They do this across the board. Minidisc anyone? (£399 on launch, supported for about 5 minutes…)

I got my PS3 for exclusives, but will never agree with their business model.

It’s the most blatent excuse to sell you ‘the next best thing’ but the support isn’t their afterwards.

The gaming side is better but even that is polluted by their R & D teams.

Bluray, UMD, 3D, Move, Vita, PSP Go, Xperia Play, Xperia Tablets etc etc…

Next will be Wonderbook to throw on the pile.

You don’t seem to understand you can be critical of a company and still own their machine.

I have Ni No Kuni pre-ordered btw, and will enjoy Last of Us and God of War aswell.

Sony will just never be my one and only choice though. Don’t know why you can’t except that!

The crux of this though: Sony IS your number 1 and only choice, hence why you defend them and their shitty business practices till the cows come home to roost! :)

29. Telepathic.Geometry

@OG: I am always close to getting a gaming PC, but the hassle factor is a big one for me. I guess PC gaming has come a long way, and there are certainly shitloads of quality games on there that I desperately wanna play, BUT, I just can’t be doin’ with the hassle and price of getting a gaming quality PC and hooking it up to my TV…

I’m hoping that Gaben will sort that shit out with a Valve box, but I could be waiting forever for that…

30. Dragon246

@28,
    Just one thing, sony can go the garbage for all I care. I just want their studios to survive. Best first party devs. Also hardware is top notch, never failed on me and they have good consumer service too.
    I am not looking out for zen like experiences and nor ninty magic. No abstract feelings here like yours. Simple preference for a good service provider. Maybe thats why I will buy ps4 1-2 years after launch, unlike day one ninty guys here.

31. Erthazus

Sony246 thinks that Blu Ray is a revolution.

It’s a fucking format that is not very popular right now. The only reason why Microsoft is using Blu Ray in the nextbox is because it is the cheapest alternative for a shitty Blu Ray driver that will cost not much compared to it’s own format which Microsoft can absolutely create right now.

PS3′s blu Ray was slow and it didn’t helped at all.

Ps3 with it’s blu ray driver can’t do shit. It only does 720p in most of the games with 15-25 frames per second in games without AA sometimes. Go figure Sony Defence Force. Most of the multiplatform is also inferior to Xbox or PC. Some studios can’t even release DLC for that POS. (SKYRIM)

Oh, and Sony pushed crappy Cell microprocessor that is a failure and it was weaker after one month when Intel released Dual Core processor for Mom’s.

“Best first party devs”

Lol. Yeah, 70% of uninspired piece of shit. No thank you.

32. Christopher Jack

This whole Nintendo vs Sony debate is pointless. No one (should) care who did what first or even who’s doing best, it’s almost irrelevant to you as a consumer- The one & ONLY reason somebody should be concerned about the failure or success of a product is future support. Many to this day claim that the Dreamcast was the best console of all time, maybe they have a point but it’s irrelevant. It failed, move along.

@33, Your games don’t run through the disk, your comparison was stupid. Although I do hope that Sony & MS allow games to be entirely stored onto the HDD to eliminate the need of the disk for those that hate sorting through them.

The drive speeds of both next gen consoles are expected to be multiples times faster so at least devs won’t be able to use it at as excuse next time around. I love the idea of optional downloads but hate the idea of mandatory ones- I may as well continue playing on my PC.

I’d like next gen consoles to be more PC like but without all the complex issues- they’re a great entry level device to high quality games- they aren’t intended to bring the absolute best graphics- you’d be stupid for even making that comparison between a $400 console & $1000 gaming rig.

33. monkeygourmet

It is important to look which way the industry is heading (Ad’s, DLC, Media etc…);

Who is providing the driving force behind these directions;

Then decide on a company that suits you best.

To be honest, PC’s are always going to win because you can play everything on them.

MS & Sony and to a lesser extent Nintendo, are pushing Ad’s, DLC, subscriptions, DRM, no second hand market etc…

This is not my idea of gaming, hence why im more behind Nintendo’s efforts at the moment.

Thats why the Sony vs MS vs Nintendo thing will always be relevent to a degree.

I’ll generally buy all the consoles I can afford for exclusives, I like games. But im certainly critical of business practice.

Sony is my least favourite company and im happy to back up why that is.

34. lexph3re

Now Erth thats a lie. The difference between blu ray and dvd speeds are actually in favor of bluray. I saw a mathematical chart that compared them and besides the difference in overall format and data containment the dvd is completely inferior. No matter how hard the dvd drive tries to run before it blows up.

As for the 15-25 frames per second thing that again is due to bad coding not to the hardware. None of the first party exclusives dip below 30 fps and there are even multiplat games in the last 2-3 years that maintain 30 fps. Only times they haven’t is with bethesdas craptastic coded games. Skyrim was horribly coded couldn’t walk 3 feet without a game breaking glitch on any rig.

Also, its already been stated that the skyrim dlc is on the disc just incomplete. POS system you proclaim well thats just bs buddy

35. Christopher Jack

@33, You know, DLC isn’t as taboo as everyone acts out, only when publishers take out content to add a premium charge. Most your criticisms seem to come from pure speculation. A patent doesn’t necessarily mean that they’re going to add that function to the console. I mean there’s been several patents for flying car & I don’t know about you but I certainly don’t have one :’(

@34, The blu ray drive specifically on the PS3 is generally slower than the X360′s DVD drive but things have drastically changed since then, modern Blu Ray players are much faster than any DVD player, almost double the read speed.

36. monkeygourmet

ADs : Live is brimming with them. PSN will follow LOVE Film etc… I had my first recomendation too the other day which was nice. You played “Cyrsis 2, you may like Syndicate!” Ug! O_o

DLC : Some good, a lot bad, On disc unlocks that you activate by paying for them. Also, paying to unlock in Battlefield etc… Awful, and abused by kids with “Daddy’s credit card”…

Second Hand / Season Pass and Subscriptions all fall under the same umbrella. Gears, Forza, Halo, COD Elite. Every game is becoming a service. I dislike that immensly.

It will only get worse too. Im actually dreading super fast broadband in some ways, always on DRM will be just around the corner.

All these things to me, take away consumer rights and choice.

MS & Sony are really pushing all this forward along with EA, Acti etc…

Really pisses me off. If thats gaming in the future, you can shove it up your arse and i’ll just build a rig and pirate everything like Erth! ;) (joke!)

37. monkeygourmet

Also, maybe the New PS4 will be called:

PlayStation Destiny…

And this is the grand unveiling! :)

38. polygem

@TG: i hear you. i also hope for that ”steam box” to really happen.

39. polygem

…well playstation will ”at least”get bungies destiny and every kid with a ps should cry tears of joy about that.

40. Dragon246

And yet you have a ps3 instead of 360.
    Do you want to insult others for no reason like DaMan does? I think you are better than that.

41. Gama_888

@Erthazus
    ” I have a PC and I still use DvD (there are no games with Blu Ray because it does not need one at all). My Games with DvD have 2560×1440 resolution with 16x Anti Aliasing and 100 frames per second.”

Just shutup.
    You know full well that has absolutely nothing to do with the format.

Blu-ray is the best format on the market, im not saying this to defend Sony. I’m saying it because it’s fact.
    It’s now the only format/physical media for watching films in HD, it provides more than enough storage for games atm, and it will for next gen too.
    If you are trying to put down blu-ray it proves that you are no
    longer trying to actually make a point and are just trying to take shots at consoles.

Also u say u have a PC and still use DvD, Lolwut?? Are u serious??

And Sony do have the best 1st party devs, based on both the quantity of devs they have and the quality of some of them.

42. monkeygourmet

“Blu-ray is the best format on the market”

It’s the ONLY large media in the market without producing your own bespoke solution.

It may very well be used for next gen, it doesn’t mean it has contributed anything to the PS3 in this cycle.

All it gave use were HD cutscenes and long ass loading times. Haredly useful atall, in fact, some would label it a hinderance.

I used to lurk on here when TEA and co were always arguing that the PS3 was being held back because of the limited space of the 360 drive. That was obviously bullshit.

Next gen, it may be useful, this gen it was just a way for Sony to trojan horse it into your home, same as DVD / PS2.

And they paid the price in some respect as it gave the PS3 a stupid launch price.

Also, Devs are down to personnal taste.

While I enjoy games like Uncharted, they hardly stack up to other titles apart from graphics / presentation.

43. Da Man

Sony123456789, you poor thing. Is it still possible to be friends with you if I say Kaz Hirai is a dumb fak and Sony is shit? I’m sorry, insulted him for no reason at all.

Shitty hypocritical nerds.

44. Belmont

When a guy says that 70% of Sony first party devs are terrible…He is just trying to take shots at Sony.Erthazus, You have respectable opinions but it doesn’t mean you can constantly spit it on everyone’s face.
    The truth is that Sony didn’t put Blu-ray in PS3 just for making bigger sized games possible on it,that was one reason. Another one was that back then was that format war and Sony decided to take a “Win at all costs” approach.

45. Christopher Jack

@43, Look at yourself first before insulting others…

46. Telepathic.Geometry

There’re an awful lotta handbags in here…

47. Da Man

#45 I’m not the one spending New Year at vg247..

I’m sorry I hit a nerve, want me to pay for your Xbl Gold?

48. SplatteredHouse

“But if they don’t copy second/touch screen they are foolish.”

I think with touch there are unexplored possibilities, so I could see that as a path they could explore, and add from. But, we have seen a tide change. Is there interest sufficient even in that touch/dual screen extension to games. Do people want (to be obliged) to be shifting their gaze between multiple displays, while the action plays on the “main” one, irrespective of any current interest in referring to/studying details seen on the subscreen, when they’re gaming at leisure? Is the level of convenience there to preserve the flow of gameplay.

“Every time I boot up a game these days it asks me to Log on to Uplay, THQ sign in, Battlenet or whatever. ”
    That irritates me also. Not that there is an account/login framework, but that there are pushed so many. It’s crap. If there exists a platform solution it should be the one everyone uses. I bought last year, a few digital games in Steam sales specifically because they were de-coupled from clunky, awkward, previously mandatory individual – utterly pointless…KONAMI ID and the rest. Please publishers, give that up! -account setups (the lack of which increased the appeal to me of those games ) The amount paid was well worth never having to use that stuff anymore.

Uplay practically means I won’t. What the heck does that rubbish do for me? It’s done consumers more disservice than anything. I really hope Rainbow ditches any form of proprietary encumberment once it appears. *grumble*

49. Dragon246

Just to add to the news, this is the 13th annual Destination PlayStation event by scea.
    So its a annual affair, therefore except some new game announcements, I am pretty doubtful any ps4 news could come up. Even if anything is shown, it may be done with attendees mouths sealed with NDAs.

50. SplatteredHouse

That Destination PlayStation happens yearly could simply mean that it is a set point in Sony’s diary, in which case they are able to plan for, and around it. What of CES and GDC – I struggle to see how GDC wouldn’t be awash with next-gen, even perhaps to the exclusion of current.

51. killersense

@polygem while i am happy that bungie destiny might come out for ps3 or ps4 lets not get carried away with that comment. tears of joy lmao. they have like what one notable game? which is halo and it is a good game but not this you have to play or ur missing out kind of game. i played half of the original halo and little bit of halo 2 and was not invested enough to finish them. if anything the new halo by 343 industries piqued my interest to jump back but i haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I am sure Sony will be fine without Destiny.

@da man for a guy that hates everything you do spend your time wisely in these forums insulting and spouting hatred around about all the consoles. i don’t think i have ever seen a post of yours that has anything positive to say about anything. do u even play games or have games that u like?

52. Da Man

Nope, Sony just makes clunky consoles with interactive cutscenes and poor online..

Can’t say I could find half as bad about either Nintendo or MS.

I play games. Fez and Warp were stellar and I played lots of Pac-Man.

I just don’t like idiots..

53. killersense

as for the rest of the comments i am almost positive Sony is probably gonna bundle in vita with the ps4 and sell it for 450.00 or 499.99 and for people that already own a vita you can get the system for 299.99 without a controller packed in as they could allow people to use their dual shocks they already have. i am sure the cost of producing a vita could be down to 150 or less by the time the vita comes out. this is probably one of the reasons why we haven’t heard much about future vita games. lets be honest i don’t think Sony are THAT dumb to release a handheld in a smartphone dominated market and expected the thing to sell like crazy. I love the vita and the only way I can see it hitting mass appeal is if its bundled in or they drop the price to like 149.99 with mgs, gran turismo, gta, a real cod, skyrim or fallout coming out for it and i don’t see any of those 3rd parties besides gran turismo very interested in doing that at this point.

54. polygem

@killersense: i am not saying that destiny will be the saviour of sony. that’s not what i meant. but that being said…you don’t like halo much. i do. ok. imho halo is among the greatest gaming ip’s ever though. halo ce was mindblowing when it was released…destiny could very well become THE game of the decade.

55. killersense

@da man i cannot disagree about the poor online part and that is something i hope they do a lot better next time around with ps4. i have to say for something that is free it wasn’t that bad. as far as i am concerned online took off this gen and Microsoft being strong in that aspect took advantage and are successful this gen. Sony will learn and be better this time around. plus is starting to build a lot of positive hype going into next gen and if they can carry that momentum forward and streamline their online experience they will be fine next time around and Microsoft might actually have to justify that ridiculous live subscription fee which is one of the major reasons i barely use that system. i play my multiplayer games on pc and the unique and fun experiences on ps3 and i don’t necessarily agree with your interactive cut scenes part. i enjoy those games for what they are and the experience they offer to me. i can see where you are coming from but that is something that is in a vast majority of games not just sony games. imo the only gameplay focused games nowadays are in the downloadable arena and some very good ones like spelunky, fez, mark of the ninja, rochard, dead nation, dyad, closure etc….

56. Christopher Jack

@52, Yet you spend more time than 99% of VG247′s readers on this site spouting random insults, who’s the real idiot? You come into every Sony article bitching about how pathetic they are, perhaps take a look at how pathetic you are.

57. The_Deleted

SONY are going to do something… rumours blah blah… PS4!!!! Blah!

58. Da Man

#55

I have to agree about many companies making less gameplay focused content somewhat, but Sony really come across as the primary producer of them. Ever since the days of PSX they tried to put cinematics and pseudo coolness above gameplay..

#56, I might spend more time while on this website commenting on the idiocy of people like you, but I don’t spend half as much time being a stupid nerd. So why don’t you take a look at yourself next time you’ll want to argue with me at 5 in the morning, silly little person? You miss the whole point.

59. polygem

actually i think # 57 just nailed it.

”coolness above gameplay”
    this really is my major complaint regarding sony these days. it really is. no other gaming company made me rolling my eyes more than sony. just look at their tv commercials for example! if someone sits besides me, when these are running, knowing that i play games too…i want to just disappear in the couch.
    not every gamer is a 20+ yo pseudo hipster with the numero uno daily mission of: trying to be ”cool”,sony. actually those people are the most uncool persons on planet earth.

60. Christopher Jack

Stupid nerd? YOU’RE insulting random people for simple disagreements through a video game site. How could unnecessary acts of verbal violence not be a symptom of stupidity? You’re also on a video game site so it’s a given that you’re a nerd, not that is necessarily a bad trait. I’m actually confused as to why you attempt to use it to make people feel bad about their hobbies- particularly one that you apparently share.

61. Da Man

Exactly, polygem..

There were those funny jrpgs which they helped ruin immensely and created a miserable mind fakery about a miserable soldier (or was he a clone? or both?), and then there was the Metal Gear which they helped turning into another cinematic mind fakery, and so on and so forth.. Up to the climatic God of War which is an exercise in pressing a button and the pompous David Cage (not that Peter Molyneux is any better..)

#60 You’re so off it’s not funny..

First of, commenting on the idiocy of people and even mocking them doesn’t equal stupidity. But then again ‘idiot’, ‘troll’ and the f- word variations are about what your vocabulary consists of..

Besides, I don’t visit it for a reason such as being enthusiastic about videogames, let alone playing them that much.

Also, videogames aren’t a hobby. Playing one particulat game would be a hobby.

62. Dragon246

Polygem and DaMan agreeing with each other.
    At last DaMan has an ally by his side. Guess the proverb ” Enemy’s enemy is a friend” is true ,no matter how that friend is.

63. Belmont

DaMan
    List 10 games you like and two consoles you love. Lets see if you like anything at all.

64. Da Man

Sony1234567890, you saying that is like Hideo Kojima calling a videogame too wordy. lol.

Are you really that moronic as to actually think you’re fighting the fight, or just that lifeless? You’re seriously here 24/7.

65. Da Man

#63

Wait here, I’ll list them..

Here:

Road Fighter, Pac-Man, Bomberman, Battletoads, Streets of Rage, Road Rash, Tomb Raider, Thief, Halo, Project Gotham Racing, Bayonetta.

That’s 11.

Mega Drive and Xbox360.

66. Christopher Jack

“videogames aren’t a hobby’.

67. polygem

@Dragon: i´m not here for fights. i am not here to make friends or enemies. i am here for videogame news and a discussion about them. only reason. sometimes i agree with people and sometimes i don´t. happens a lot to me in life.

68. Christopher Jack

@67, I often disagree with you but I respect you & your opinions because you don’t make a dick out of yourself every time you post.

69. Deacon

Change the f’ing record already DM. You hate jrpg’s, MGS, and anything Sony. We get it. Christ you’re like a pensioner with alzheimers.

And yeah, if videogames aren’t a hobby what are they? Or is this another one of your oh-so clever in-jokes? Straight over my head if so. I’m just a nerd who loves his games.

Coming here and calling people nerds is literally the most hilarious thing you’ve done this year. I realise we have plenty of time to top that, and you undoubtedly will.

Sitting on your ‘cool’ pedestal. Sounds a bit like Sony no?

70. Da Man

Who said I hate them all? Metal Gear Solid being a babbling melodrama with several attempts at stealth here and there is a fact of life.

You thought the nerds comment was hilarious? Here’s something even more lmaoinducing:

By all means brah if you actually think it’s completely fine to play something as PSX onwards ones at the age of 40 I encourage you to visit a psychologist..

Of course they aren’t a hobby. Playing a particular series would be a hobby. They’re entertainment, hobby isn’t as simple as spending time on something (entertaining or whatever) otherwise the whole point of that word makes zero sense. It’s not a general word to call anything you waste your time on.

See, you just want to have an internet blog where you can freely post whatever pompous bs you like and feel good about pressing buttons on a gamepad. Sorry I spoiled everything.

71. Deacon

Standard response there.

Hobby – ‘An activity or interest pursued outside one’s regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure.’

I happen to enjoy what you refer to as ‘babbling melodrama’. It’s not like I’m watching Neighbours or Hollyoaks.
    And give a fuck if some idiot online tells me I shouldn’t be playing JRPG’s? Honestly? Cos they’re just for angsty teens, right?

I’ll spare you the ‘no you’. I fully agree with everything you said there mate. Another victory for Da Man to act cool about in some other thread. Gratz.

72. Christopher Jack

You’re so full of yourself you must be close to exploding.

73. Da Man

#73

Yes it is, genius..

Videogames however are a word describing computer entertainment applications in general. Unfortunately, you would need to narrow your ‘interest’. Sports cars would be a hobby, using subway, taxi and your bike to reach the local games store isn’t.

Why yes, precisely so! They’re for angsty teens. See, you figured everything on your own. Here’s a tissue for your issue.

74. Deacon

And why can’t a hobby be general? Sports cars is pretty general, no?

Another basic logic fail to your ever-growing list.

75. Da Man

Hobby implies some particular activity or interest: football, a particular TV show, a video game franchise (or at least a set of same/similar videogames), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles..

Sports cars is quite a narrow enough interest. It means the person is actually interested in something. You can’t be interested in ‘videogames’. That makes no sense. You just trick yourself.

You’re just insecure and feel threatened. Sorry for ruining what should’ve became another News for Nerds.

76. Dragon246

@CJ and Deacon,
    I suggest you all shouldn’t waste your time on a troll. You have much more to do than responding to 4chan internet freaks.

77. Deacon

No need to apologise. Quite a good display for a Monday morning!

Insecure – ‘entering the comments section just to belittle others whose tastes I don’t agree with’.

78. Da Man

You and your Sony friendo mixed up everything. It all started with that little crazy toy zealot validating his (yet another) useless argument with my user name.

You really have to broaden your dictionary, boys. It’s a huge world, where people not only play videogames, troll and masturbate.

79. Christopher Jack

You’re arguing against gaming being a hobby on a video game site that covers a quite extensive amount of gaming news- does not compute.

80. Da Man

I’m arguing against silly definitions..

You make no sense, everything from movies and food through animals and plants get coverage on websites.

81. Deacon

You make no sense, says the person who tells us to ‘broaden our dictionary’. Lol.

Keep ‘em coming man! : )

82. kingofscotland

I’ll make no comment the the above babble and comment on the article (crazy eh)

I could have made the rumour up about PS4 being unveiled because there is zero foundation to it, no leaks, no cryptic messages, no hint at ‘the future is here’ on the invites NOTHING

Destination PlayStation is nothing new and its hardly the place to be unveiling a PS4 – if an announce was imminent I’m sure Sony would utilise CES where they have the wordwide media and every blog and magazine in the planet tuning in rather than some douche from Walmart

Personally I think it will be announced in May after the last of their big games is out before E3 and it will announce tech spec and video demo etc leaving E3 free to just focus on the games and services and not waste time on the hardware as they will be pushed for time with Vita, PS3 & PS4 to cram in.

83. Da Man

Lol. Precisely what I’m talking about, buddy.

This is why you’ll never tell a japanese mindfakery from a british world classic..

84. Fin

I like games.

85. Dragon246

Prediction-
    Initial ps4 announcement tomorrow at sony CES meet.
    Full blowout at E3

Anyone game?

@Fin,
    I do too. Strange coincidence isn’t it. :D

86. DrDamn

“I’m arguing”

I think that’s about the gist of it.

87. Da Man

#86

That might be true but it still doesn’t take away the fact that you can ‘play’ through the remains of Mgs cutscenes pressing a single button and running random applications on your console isn’t a hobby :/

88. Deacon

Failing to grasp even a pretty straightforward word, it comes as no surprise you’re no MGS fan.

Of course, you know better. You worldly old thing you.

[] You’re almost there!! Just a little further and you might WIN AN ARGUMENT ON THE INTERNET!!

Don’t give up now.

89. Da Man

Dickon, brah..

Stamp-colecting or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles videogames would indeed be a hobby, unfortunately saying ‘I play videogames’ is about as of a hobby as “I use drugs for recreational purposes’.

Face it, you’re just insecure because you know the general public will never recognize videogames. Which is why you take any comment the wrong way, stubborn nerd.

90. Deacon

Pure magic. Thanks man.

91. Da Man

Yo, mature modern adult artist-hobbyist.

92. DrDamn

“It has to be something more definitive than ‘I play computer applications on consoles’ or ‘I read books’.”

Apparently not …

Definition of hobby
    noun (plural hobbies)
    1an activity done regularly in one’s leisure time for pleasure:
    her hobbies are reading and gardening
    2 archaic a small horse or pony.

93. absolutezero

DM is perfecting his English. This is good for him.

94. Da Man

#92 Fine, reading books usually implies reading someone specific anyway. I still don’t see how that in any way demonstrates that running random executables on a piece of hardware makes your random entertainment into a hobby.

Yes I do. Pretty much reason #2 to visit this. Unfortunately it got ruined by many non native speakers who ‘re more concerned with passionately flooding the comment sections.

95. Ireland Michael

*loud applause for DrDamn and Deacon*

I’d usually suggest taking the ignoring route, but this stuff is pure gold.

96. Da Man

The return of the lolconneur? Classic template as usual I see:

1. He makes me angry, ban him.

2. No wait, I can’t get him banned so I’ll edit my posts from 2009.

3. Yes that’s right, he’s entertaining.

4. I’m getting an Ocd. he makes me angry.

5. No wait he doesn’t.

Anything can be a hobby, art, and both. To infinity and beyond.

97. polygem

“You really have to broaden your dictionary, boys. It’s a huge world, where people not only play videogames, troll and masturbate”

come on guys, give Da Man a break, this stuff is just brilliant! i´m serious now.

98. Eddie Rodrigues

Overall you folks seem to have unique opinions on how Sony is going to redeem on their failures and how they are going to boost their successes. Unique. That said: different. Not bad, not good. I’d like to show my expectations and my desires then, I’d also like to see your opinion, please quote me and sorry for long text.

1 – A PS4 or any new Sony’s table console is out of question, not needed. The company makes a wide fortune nowadays thanks to their last two table consoles, PS2 and PS3, the new one, close to surpass his father. Although PS3′s hardware could have been better designed with more RAM and cells, it is great and runs most games perfectly, but only those where third party actually knew what they were supposed to do with the console: Bethesda is a counter example, all their massive RPGs are a failure AT THE PS3 since they don’t have much of an experience on it, sadly, on the other hand Konami, Capcom, EA and other companies make their PS3 ports way more advanced. The First Party is sublime since they have full tech support, obviously.

2 – More investment in Vita is likely to be shown AND is critically asked, it would be Sony’s way for apologizing for their E3 2012 lack of content on the Portable. When it was announced, we saw Hideo Kojima himself presenting MGS4 on a PSVita, or at least a tech demo, feeding our hopes. We have yet to see its full potential and Sony might have learned it from their bad marketing a.k.a. BAD SALES. What I’d like to see is in fact only Vita announces (new IPs) and PS3′s already announced titles being shown deeply

3 – So what I hoooooope to see, that is, I REALLY HAVE A DEADLY WISH FOR THESE BUT THERE ARE NO INDICATIONS THEY WOULD HAPPEN:

~ A new Crash title for either Vita or PS3
    ~ Plus a new Spyro title
    ~ A Crash HD remaster featuring Twinsanity (my favourite game in the series)
    ~ Bandai is working with Demons Souls creator on new Portable titles. Demon Souls 2 PSVita? Yes. Maybe. Most likely no. But yes.
    ~ Gravity Rush 2 with better controls
    ~ Monster Hunter 4, doesn’t even need to be PSVita only, they could make it for 3DS too since it is not a Sony exclusive, but hey, these games sell greatly!
    ~ As I said, MGS on Vita. Super please!
    ~ Sony could try a new IP, that often works and generates hype, such as Soul Sacrifice

99. polygem

while you´re at it eddie…(and i totally sign the spyro and crash part of your comment)…I WANT A NEW AAA MEDIEVIL GAME FOR F%&$ SAKE!!!

100. Eddie Rodrigues

@99 Oh yes… I’ve played the first one and it was truly fun. Though I never had the opportunity to actually beat it (I lost interest due to… Peace Walker… NEW MGS GAME, GO!)