Fri, Jan 04, 2013 | 16:30 GMT
Spicy Horse takes to Kickstarter for Akaneiro: Demon Hunters, clarifies business model
American McGee’s Spicy Horse has launched its Kickstarter for Akaneiro: Demon Hunters – the developer’s take on the story of Red Riding Hood.
While the free-to-play plans were “shelved” according to a report earlier this week, the project’s Kickstarter page clearly states it is a “free to play ARPG with classic design sense meets fast-paced action.”
Luckily, the firm has clarified the game’s business model to avoid any further confusion on the matter:
- The game will be free to play
- There will be a number of free maps players can play
- The exact number of free maps will be determined in the upcoming open beta
- Additional content will be available for purchase
- This additional content can also be purchased by accruing the in-game currency, karma
- Other items for sale will be cosmetic items and karma packs
With 29 days to go, the title already has 100 backers who have pledged $4,980 toward the $200,000 goal.
More information can be found through the Kickstarter portal page, and the project video below.
Akaneiro has been in development since mid-2011, and a closed beta has been running since November 2012. Target platforms are PC, Mac OS X, Android/iOS tablets with both the dedicated PC client and web version entering open beta sometime this month.
The game is also currently sitting at number 3 in the top 100 on Steam Greenlight.