Minecraft sold 453,000 copies on December 25

Wednesday, 2nd January 2013 18:36 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Minecraft sold 453,000 copies across all platforms on December 25, 2012, Mojang’s Markus Persson announced over Twitter. The title has sold 8.7 million copies total on PC, while the Xbox 360 version has moved 4 million. On the mobile market, the Andorid and iOS versions have moved 5 million copies combined, bringing the grand total to 18 million across all platforms to-date. Thanks, IGN.

1. Dragon246

@Dave,
    Its on 25th, not 24th. Markus corrected the date later.

#1 1 year ago

I missed Dave so much that I forgot about other editors :P

#4 1 year ago
  5. DSB

18 million… And Notch is scared of other companies becoming too big :P

#5 1 year ago
  6. NeoSquall

The astonishing fact is that the game itself has never been discounted more than about 20% since launch.

#6 1 year ago
  7. GrimRita

It must be doing something right to keep racking up these kind of numbers

#7 1 year ago
  8. DSB

I’m just surprised that people aren’t doing more with it. The most I’ve seen is halfassed block-shooters.

I think iOS just got a tower defence/block builder, but it really is strange that no one tries to outdo Mojang on the formula.

Minecraft is great, but you could do so much more with the mechanics. It’s not like it’s building on itself with any kind of momentum at the moment.

#8 1 year ago
  9. NeoSquall

For the moment I’m happy with my sandbox LEGO constructions simulator.

#9 1 year ago
  10. NocturnalB

I just tried this game out over the holidays, i was visiting family and my little nephews had the game, begged me to try it, i always thought it looked stupid. I’m tellin’ you right now, Minecraft is more addicting than crack.

#10 1 year ago