Ubisoft plotting THQ ‘bargain’ bid – rumour

Friday, 21st December 2012 11:16 GMT By Dave Cook

Ubisoft is interested in bidding on THQ’s suite of studios and IP, MCV’s sources have suggested.

Sources close to the matter have told MCV that Ubisoft is keen on buying THQ’s current studios and franchises, and if successful would own five studios and several IP, including Saint’s Row, Darksiders, Company of Heroes, Red Faction, Homefront and WWE.

The site states that Ubisoft is currently negotiating terms with THQ, but is holding out for a bargain deal, one that will likely come when THQ becomes forced to sell its assets at a lower asking price.

If the bid is accepted it will be entirely up to Ubisoft which franchises it continues, and which it cancels.

We’ll have more as it happens.

1. Ercarret

Hm. Even though I think someone like 2K Games would be a better fit, I quite like Ubisoft. Perhaps they could do something interesting with THQ’s catalogue. What I don’t like is not knowing what franchises they may or may not continue. I honestly have no clue, and that bugs me.

2. Edo

Oh god please no,for the sake of PC gamers I hope EA gets involved(yeah I went there :) ) .

3. Old MacDonald

That’s great, now they’ll make everything F2P and browser based.

4. stevenhiggster

@2, I was just about to say almost the same thing, except for the EA bit.
    I hope none of the other big publishers buy them, Ubisoft especially since I am mainly a PC gamer and to say Ubisoft are hopeless on the PC would be an understatement.

5. Edo

@4 Maybe Square Enix can buy Saints Row franchise?They are very good when it comes to PC ports.

6. silkvg247

No no no no no

Square or 2K should do this. Not Ubi.

7. harmundo

My vote goes to 2K Games.

8. DaveDogg

I have no problem with who buys it its more a question of how its handled afterwards I think 2K would almost certainly kill Red Faction & Saints Row but would do wonders with WWE. Square versions of the above would be horrible although Darksiders might be a treat tbh I think the best all round fit would be UBI

9. SameeR_Fisher

well at first I was like “it’s okay”, but now that I think about “Hell NO it isn’t”, I mean Tenchu rights is with Ubisoft right ?!, and it has been a hell of a time since the last one which didn’t come to the consoles, also Prince of Persia is dead for quite some time.

So I am not so sure they can handle these games, especially Darksiders & Metro, also what about the games in the work like ’1666′ from Patrick, will it get cancelled ?!.

I hope THQ can stand on its feet again, and bring us some awesome games once more.

10. Judicas

@9 Prince of Persia is alive and well, it’s just called Assassins Creed now though.

11. Christopher Jack

I did mention them as one of the more likely to purchase THQ. Also, I doubt 2K would purchase them although their owners, Take Two, are certainly a valid candidate.

12. Sadismek

I think Ubi will handle the games just fine, if all these rumors are true. I like most of their games, even on PC. uPlay is quite useable, actually, and the offline mode really works, unlike Steam’s.

13. DSB

Massive Entertainment. Never forget. Never forgive.

Ubisoft recognizing a talented studio is about as likely as Bobby Kotick giving everybody free CoDs for xmas.

14. SameeR_Fisher

@10: Good point LOL

15. Maximum Payne

What’s so wrong about Massive Entertainment ?

16. DSB

@15 Only that they’ve been condemned to work shitty jobs on Ubisofts shitty assembly line, instead of making more awesome games.

Granted, Activision are just as responsible for putting them in that development limbo, but Ubisoft put the last nail in the coffin.

They’re not even recognized as a studio anymore, now it’s “Ubisoft Massive”.

They were one of a few developers that I was ever a fullblown fanboy for, but Activision and Ubisoft sure fucked that up in a hurry.

17. NeoSquall

I’m a bit worried about this.

I hope EA or 2K make the bid, at least there will be more hope for Relic Entertainment (yeah, I’m more partial for them than with the other THQ Studios).

18. Phoenixblight

Ubisoft is really the only publisher I can see buying THQ. THQ studios really offer nothing and all their games are rather mediocre. I just don’t see Take two or EA looking at them as a viable asset.

19. NeoSquall

Mediocre Games?

Red Faction series (recent): Open World Action game with destructible environments (disregard Armageddon)
    Saints Row series: Over-the-Top Open World Action game based on silly, funny and purposely crass characters and situations
    Company of Heroes series: Critically acclaimed WWII RTS game
    Metro series: FPS based on interesting russian IP
    Darksiders series: Original IP Action game with art from JoeMad and good success
    and the whole Warhammer 40.000 licensed games, namely Dawn of War series (RTS), Space Marine (TPS) and Dark Millennium (Action)

Are these MEDIOCRE games?

20. Phoenixblight

Look at their sales. They do mediocre. Saints Row is the only one ahead.

Every single one of those games borrowed their concepts and mechanics from other big games and none of them claimed something of their own.

21. NeoSquall

@20 Compared to what, Call of Duty? Starcraft?

Sales comparisons with ultrapopular, overhyped, massified franchises such as these is the measure of this industry’s failure.

22. Phoenixblight

You can say whatever you like but that is exactly what EA,Take-Two and Ubisoft will be looking at. Can they pull numbers? “No? Well we don’t want them.”