Ghost Recon: Future Soldier sequel spotted

Friday, 21st December 2012 00:37 GMT By Brenna Hillier

A sequel to Ghost Recon: Future Soldier seems to be in the works, according to materials spotted by eagle-eyed fans.

A member of the Ubisoft forums spotted a reference to the “‘GRFS: Next’ team” in a slide from Ubisoft Kiev’s annual meeting.

The Ukrainian studio produced the PC port of this year’s Future Soldier release, and the slide seems to indicate the core development team wants to work closely with Kiev on the next title.

The slide also makes mention of the “tough” conditions the port was produced under, without giving any details. The PC version of Future Soldier was announced, cancelled, and then re-announced, causing something of a controversy.

Future Soldier holds a Metacritic average of 79 on both playStation 3 and Xbox 360, but a 71 on PC. It sold well enough to boost Ubisoft’s quarterly revenue by 27%, which was disappointing for those of us wretchedly sick of making the typo “Future Solider”.

Thanks, Blue’s News.

1. Moonwalker1982

Normally i’d say….HELL YES to a new Ghost Recon. After Future Soldier though….

MEH!

#1 1 year ago
  2. Ercarret

Good for them. I quite liked the PC version of GRFS; but then, I played it six months after release and a ton of patches, and could actually use stuff like my keyboard. I can imagine pre-patch players having a very different experience.

Nonetheless, good news.

#2 1 year ago
  3. YoungZer0

Naw, if it’s the same team, i’m not interested. I think Future Soldier was one of the worst Ubisoft games released this year. I mean wow, how can a game go so wrong after the promising teaser gameplay before they decided to transform it into another Call of Duty game?

And i’m not even talking about the gameplay. I’m talking about the setting and the art-direction. The gameplay however was what brought it down. Games like Splinter Cell: Conviction and Far Cry 3. This is how you do stealth-action. Screwed up? No worries, just hide again and wait for your chance.

But no, instead, we get enemies who know your exact location even though YOU’RE INVISIBLE and they call for reinforcements. Fun it was not.

Then there’s the fact that you’d sometimes get spotted and you don’t even know who, where and how. Then there are the horrendously long loading times …

Man, i had a list longer than this, but it’s been a while. The game was a mess, rough around every edge … and let’s not even talk about the story.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Moonwalker1982

Couldn’t agree more with you man. It’s unbelieveable what a disappointment GRFS turned out to be. The GRAW games were great, even when they were a far cry to the true Ghost Recon games on PC and the one on Xbox. But GRFS was just a mixed bag of everything, everything being very very average or worse though. The shooting just feels bad and cheap in that game.

Far Cry 3′s development team…that one has proven itself to be incredibly talented and capable of making a game that really lived up to the hype and what not. GRFS….not by a long shot. I hope to god they won’t ruin the new Rainbow Six like that.

#4 1 year ago
  5. SameeR_Fisher

Personally speaking this is great news to me, I loved GRFS, it wasn’t without flaws, but it was on the right track ((kind)).

So I hope “GRFS:Next” builds on the foundation of GRFS while improving the game and adding more freedom and more stealth.

I believe we won’t hear or see anything about GRFS until 2014, after all SC:Blacklist is coming out this year, R6P coming out next year, so E3-2014 seems like the one to show GRFS, then it may get released in 2015, assuming Ubisoft is recently releasing a Tom Clancy title per year.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Maximum Payne

I really hope its next gen title just so they can make bigger levels…

#6 1 year ago
  7. Hcw87

The singleplayer was awesome, with nice locations and a lengthy campaign. Multiplayer was a trainwreck though, with sensor grenades and no balance at all. Kinda like MoH Warfighter.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Moonwalker1982

I hated the unnessecary Gears-like gameplay, in terms of how fast it was. The shooting felt VERY off, and it never did feel amazing anyway in the GRAW games. They should take a look at the shooting in the Rainbow Six Vegas games or the more recent Far Cry 3. THAT is how you do shooting mechanics. Not the terribly cheap ones in Future Soldier, and the death animations were ridiculous..and physics…what physics?

#8 1 year ago