DayZ Standalone: Hall discusses ‘depressing’ development pressure

Thursday, 20th December 2012 12:30 GMT By Dave Cook

DayZ creator Dean Hall has responded to a Reddit thread dedicated to giving Hall’s team some breathing space as it crunches on the game’s development. Hall has also added that he was – at one point – considered calling time on his involvement with the project.

Over on the DayZ Reddit, Hall responded to pressures of fans and press badgering him about the game. “I know I have been very quiet lately. So this will be really all I’ll say for the moment. I’ve been pretty depressed about the whole situation. From a personal standpoint, this whole “saga” of the development made me seriously question if I wanted to be involved in the industry and I gave serious thought to cutting my losses and not being involved in the project.

“At my Army Discharge medical this week, they noted I now have high blood pressure. Some things in life just aren’t worth worrying about. I’ve been getting hammered by a massive amount with requests for information about DayZ release, interviews and my reactions to this and stuff and such – but for my own sanity I retreated and have kept to myself.

“Right now I’m just at home doing bits and pieces on the DayZ development. The rest of the DayZ team is doing the same. I realize that I went back on my word about releasing an update, but went back into my shell for a bit last week, and I’ll come out when the dust is all settled.”

What’s your take on DayZ Standalone’s development. Let us know below.

Thanks PCGamesN.

1. Strange Sultan

C’mon people ! There will be no respawns in a real zombie apocalypse. Nor will there be scattered M4s or skill trees and shit.

2. Stardog

I’m tired of this Day Z guy and his “woe is me” attitude. His game is not an original concept and rides off of an entire other game.

3. Ireland Michael

Sounds to me like he’s trying to deal with depression while working on the game.

Not going to criticize someone for that.

4. Hunam

It’s tough being in the spot light when you aren’t prepared for it and making games is tough. I think he just does need to take a few weeks off and regain his focus.

5. Maximum Payne

I thought you would be happy considering your competition is dead on arrival ?

6. DSB

Coupled with the drama surrounding the security breach, they don’t look like the most stable group of guys.

Probably a good idea to have someone run interference for him since he is the head of development though.

7. Ireland Michael

@5 Not everyone is a selfish dick who wishes misfortune on others.

8. SplatteredHouse

“I’ve been getting hammered by a massive amount with requests for information about DayZ release, interviews and my reactions to this and stuff and such… ”

That first part could be due to leaving people with too little information that they ask, to feed their enthusiasm. Instead of responding once, the creator retreats. Why didn’t he take control of the situation? He could have let people know the official page, and assure them that they can find major updates/news on there. For smaller points and that, he’ll use twitter or forum. How is that not a better situation to have than just leaving people expectant, in the dark while the sales come and go?

9. Uncontested

Guy is such a whiney bitch, seriously. First his little woe is me story about how he was ‘tortured’ in the military (Which sounds like a load of shit but whatever gets the sheep drooling), now he crys about his mod being massively successful and having people setting expectations after he swore up and down that he wasn’t going to sell out and make it a paid game.

10. necachi

No one has to buy this game. If you have a problem with any of the developers or the game then the solution is simple: don’t buy the game. Complaining about the developers or the game doesn’t make it come out any faster nor does it make you look cooler.

11. Christopher Jack

Guy is depressed & people laugh it off & say he’s whining- & you people wonder what drives people to these massacres…

12. Marine

WarZ is a prime example of a shitty rushed game. Who wants a repeat of that garbage?
    So shut the hell up, its almost Christmas for christ sake.

13. Dorian Herndon

I really hope this guy works his way through his depression, I won’t try to rush nor question his problems because he knows what his going through, and I don’t. I really wanted the game for Christmas, but I guess I’ll just have to way a little longer, which is no problem at all; rather play a long waited, well done game, than a rushed and terrible game. My hope and prayers go to him.

PS: Those questioning his statements about the Military, and his problems involving the game and its expectations, should really watch what they say. Ask yourself some questions, “Have I been in the Military?” “Have I ever made a video game?” “How much problems or things do I have to worry about?” Hope those people start thinking before typing BS.

I totally agree with #11 Christopher Jack

14. HauntaVirus

Agree with #11, give him some room to breath FFS.

15. Maximum Payne

@7 War Z was 100% rip off of their game so…

16. seanman3001

Firstly, I see where he is coming from. Huge success and hes excited. Hence him telling us he will keep us posted. If any of you actually do programming then you would know it takes time to do shit, especially when he started doing this all for fun, with no help. Secondly, Dayz IS pretty original, considering I’m not playing any other zombie games right now. Sure the stealth aspect has been done 1000 times before and isn’t new, the inventory is fine if you aren’t stupid, and if you don’t like hackers don’t join servers off the hive. But he doesn’t owe us anything, as a person who plays the mod, just wait for the game to release, expect nothing, and have you’re expectations broken when it launches. Chances are you will hate it anyway.

17. pattyopotatopants

Okay ladies and germs here’s the thing. We are all a bit dissapointed about the possible delay of our favorite zombie mod. But you have to consider that the guy started this thing off in his spare time, for fun. He never expected for it to get this big. Then it got that big. Have you ever had a deadline? Have you ever made something from scratch? Have you ever had to hold on to two jobs while still doing the thing you love? Some of you haven’t because you’re too young to have to. Still in high school. A lot of the older folk on here understand. And you younger fellas will soon enough. That kind of pressure would make anyone question if that is something that they really want to do. I am speaking from experience here. I’m a black smith. I love what I do, but sometimes the pressure of deadlines and work and no sleep just get to you. Also keep in mind that it normally takes years for a game to be completed from beginning to end. Show a little sympathy. I mean come on, the guy is depressed because he thinks that he is letting YOU down. That speaks bundles about his character. He cares about what he is doing, and your opinion. Maybe a little too much. In closing. Don’t be a twat. Be patient.

18. Gekidami

I really wish a real dev studio, one with some weight to their name were behind a game like this. I mean props to the guy, he’s achieved something awesome, but it being a mod means he’s working on a wonky base. DayZ is sort of iffy with its teleporting zombies and dodgy animations, and even if the standalone has that stuff sorted, its still being made by a few guys doing it in their spare time, so it could take ages and i bet updates will be sparse. The alternative of course is WarZ, and even though its lazy with its reused assets and ripped off stuff, failing to deliver on whats been promised and being plagued with crappy business decisions, i have more hope for it being the overall better game in the long run simply because its being made by a dedicated dev. Of course they have shit to sort out, it might take a year or two to get things right but i’m pretty sure it’ll have more legs than DayZ.

But really i want a more reputable dev on the case. Say Techland, Dead Island is a great game, why not make an MMO version? That would be awesome.

19. Erthazus

Dead Islanbd is a great game lol.

DayZ is in development at Bohemia Interactive. That is enough for the “Real Dev Studio”

20. Uncontested

I love when couch commandos make statements about how I never served, lol. My two combat deployments as a Marine Corps Infantryman to Iraq state otherwise but thanks there “Marine.” Only a tampon or POG would defend this guys whining, which I’m sure you are if you even made it past boot camp.

Ohhh making games is soo hard. Really dude? Shut up and work on the game. If shits that bad go cry to some doctor someplace instead of coming up with these idiotic stories of being tortured during training, or crying that making video games are sooo hard. Especially now that you’ve sold out. Dude didn’t even deploy anywhere, never was in combat, and was a washout to boot.

Nobody is forcing him to do this shit, if its that bad stop bitching and quit, do something else if you can’t handle the fame or the “depressing pressure.” Instead he just bitches and moans -every time- someone from the media talks to him. Hand the game over to someone else and go get a different job if you hate it so much.

21. lolzomgz1337

@#20: You lack compassion and empathy.
    While I would agree that him moaning does accomplish nothing in regards to the topic at hand, neither does yours. Depression is a genuine illness, and not an easy one to cope with: Take your arrogance else where.
    Furthermore you have no idea what’s actually happened with him, it is NOT within your right to claim it’s BS; your opinion on that matter means precisely nothing.

Pressure is hard to deal with for anybody, especially if they are not used to it. While I do understand this I would say it’s better to look on the brighter side of things, this guy simply needs to take some time out and relax, absorb so of life’s more gentile motions.

22. Uncontested

I have compassion and empathy, plenty of it, when it is deserved for real problems; for example the Sandy Hook Massacre which nearly brings tears to my eyes thinking about it. This is not a real problem. This is him caving under pressure.

This just shows how sad our society has become today. The guy makes a massively successful mod, and instead of quietly turning it into a mega profit turner like was done with things like Counter Strike, DOTA, and plenty of others, all he does -every time- he is interviewed is bitch and whine ‘woe is me, feel pity on me, making this game is so hard and i can’t meet deadlines’

If life is so bad turn the project over to someone who isn’t a weak minded tool. Put the sheep back in the pen somewhere in the corner with an easy job and let someone who has a pair take over. Not everyone is born to lead or be in charge. It is abundantly clear here that Mr. Hall is not cut out for it. If they’re not going to do that then at least, for gods sake, someone hire this guy a fucking PR team, some handlers, -anything- so he stops bitching and moaning talking about how they cant do it every time hes in the media.

23. Ireland Michael

@22 You clearly don’t understand what empathy is then.

24. yuvein

Just give us summit to play to keep us all quiet even if its not finished :)

25. Christopher Jack

This misunderstanding of mental illnesses, especially in America, is a hugely underrated problem. Particularly people with autisms such as Aspergers- they are often forced to grow up the same as everyone else but they simply can’t handle it, they eventually snap. I wonder how many suicides & homicides could be prevented if people were capable of displaying a little empathy. I’m certainly not saying that this guy will go on a massacre but it still doesn’t hurt to be a little understanding.

26. Booze

What I have to read here… unbelievable…
    “My two combat deployments as a Marine Corps Infantryman to Iraq state otherwise”
    You self-important, priggish, little wannabe hero… and you call HIM a “weak minded tool”… ooooh, the irony…
    if soldiers like you were deployed to Iran, it’s no wonder, why that operation was such a humanitarian failure. You have no clue, what’s behind his depression. Noone would ever tells his personal problems to an interviewer. Yet you speak of empathy… ridiculous…
    The work and passion he put in the project deserve credit and nothing else, but all he gets back is a bitching community.
    It’s disgusting to watch…

27. crazyapeman

After reading this a see alot of greedy whiney bitches who got everything they wanted as children and probably still are children, the sort of children who cry if they don’t get to suck on there mums titty. No half decent civilized man with half a brain tells a depressed person that they are a useless twat its just counterproductive it puts the person in a worse state, will probably drive him into suicide and you will never have the game. So how about all you useless wanna be man instead of bitching and telling Hall to grow a pair you do so instead and please ffs get a life, a job and buy a deck of cards and deal with it.

PS: Show a little compassion you useless twats also stop doll bludging. (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=doll%20bludger) for those of you who dont no the term.

28. YoungZer0

@20: Nobody gives a fuck about you and your Iraq deployment, so stop crying, you egocentric cunt.

@23, 25, 26, 27: *claps*

29. Hunam

I think you all need to stop acting like children at this point. Getting angry on the internet? Really?

30. Amonbg

Personally i don’t care when this game comes out.Just to come out properly.
    Don’t rush the good things take time.Give the guy space to work this out.
    BioWare rush things with Mass Effect 3 what happened.A big disappointment for the same people who wanted it “NOW”.
    I hope that he has a great year 2013 and leave all the bad staff in 2012.

31. HauntaVirus

Umm, good job on your rant??? Now stfu and gtfo.

32. aaronjones

“Sounds to me like some of these kids are whiney bitches. Doesnt matter if the idea is originally is his or not. He is making the game you are crying on threads about. Crying because he hasnt updated the game or released much info about his game. Id like to see any one of you please thousands of gamers who have all these WANTS. Needy bitches, the man will finish when he feels like it. HE DOESNT OWE ANY OF YOU SHIT not even an apology.

I highly doubt you have served so what would a puss like you know about stress let alone judging someones military service? I have been down that road when it comes to your health, a man will question his priorities, even if that means dropping shit thats important to others. Leave him alone, let him finish on his own. ”

WELL SAID

I AM SO SICK OF THE f888 HACKERS AND TRY HARDS THAT RUIN GREAT GAMES.

IF this guy comes up with a stand alone Day-Z he is an absolute legend – all these low lifes that try and prevent progress are also the twats holding up signs saying “GOD HATES GAYS”

Absolute low lifes and a waste of good air.

Stop bagging this game you are probably another hacking POS anyway.