Wii U publishers can set play limits on game demos

Wednesday, 19th December 2012 08:29 GMT By Dave Cook

Wii U demos can be restricted to a set number of plays, according to a new report over at GameZone. The eagerly-anticipated Rayman Legends demo is one example of a demo with limited play, however, these restrictions are said to be decided on a publisher basis, and are not a blanket Nintendo policy. Get more information on the policy after the break.

The GameZone report states that Nintendo 3DS publishers already have the power to limited their demos to 30 plays before they expire and point users to the game’s purchase page on the 3DS eShop.

The same practice will continue on Wii U it seems, as Ubisoft’s Rayman Legends demo comes bearing the same restrictions, which sees the demo active for 30 plays before forwarding players to the eShop purchase page.

This decision is said to be of Ubisoft’s own making however, so you will see some demos with limitations and others without.

What about you readers? Is 30 plays reasonable? Should someone have made up their mind about a game within this time? Let us know below.

Thanks RipTen.

1. Showmeyomoves!

30 plays is actually a hell of a lot. I’ve finished entire games in less plays than that. Which brings up another question: Why even apply a limit at all?

2. gameon

Agree with #1. Not only is 30 plays a lot, the demo of Rayman for example only shows a small part of the game. So why anyone would like to trie that more than about 3 or 4 times is a mystery to me.

3. Fin

I remember when I was young playing the Crash Team Racing and Tony Hawk 2 demoes for hours. Even the demo disc I got with my PS1, I easily played some of the games on there 30+ times.

But like @1 said, why even have a limit?
    Just one bad decision after another for Nintendo it seems.

4. absolutezero

uh huh. Its shocking that you would feel that way. Its not as if the 3DS had the exact same system and was a precedent for this. No way that could never happen.

Oh.

5. _LarZen_

I dont like it at all, it’s not a problem for me or most adults but it is for children.

The Publishers know that if they can limit how many times a child can play a demo they are more likely to buy the game. And this may be true but there are many children out there that wont be getting alle the games they want and a demo is all they get.

So for me no problem, for the children it is however.

6. DrDamn

FIFA has a limit of 10 plays. 30 for the most part is sufficient. Probably the only demo I played more than that was BF2:MC on the 360.

Some publishers (ahem EA) will exploit it a bit, but realistically they are trying to use a demo to sell you a product. With my glass half full hat on this could actually encourage more and better demos – as some just wouldn’t work very well unless restricted.

7. Cobra951

“But like @1 said, why even have a limit?
    Just one bad decision after another for Nintendo it seems.”

@3:

I have to agree. It comes across as way too stingy. And once it’s on my system, no one should be taking it away from me at a later date. I think it’s this feeling of unwarranted intrusion that makes me hate time-bombed demos so much.

8. theevilaires

If you ask me they’re asking for people to hack the system and pirate their games. No reason why a demo should have a time limit when its already limited from the full exp already. I notice the GameStop demo has a 13 min time limit on it also. That I can understand because you want everyone to have a chance to play it in store. But don’t limit my time in the privacy of my own home.

These devs are asking to go bankrupt these days with trying to put a leash on the player with online passes and timed played demos. They won’t learn until its too late.

9. OlderGamer

I don’t like demo limits either. The worst ones I have found are on XB360, the Indie games. I often have to play the trial three or four times to get the jist of the game. Sometimes the time limit is reached and I am still reading the tutorial.

Not like Nintendo are the only ones to ever think of limits, and to be fair they leave it up to the pubs. So the 10 limit of FIFA is EAs choice. UBI gave us 30 goes at Rayman, but again their choice. Couldn’t a company choose not to set a limit?

Also, I believe the 3DS impliments the same idea right?

Not that it is a good thing, it isn’t. But it isn’t an earth shattering new thing either. And it won’t lead to Nintendos doom. I do wish they would change it tho, a demo should be a demo, a content restrictive slice of the game, but not limited to number of tries…imo.

10. deathm00n

@10 My brother plays the UFC undisputed 3 demo almost everyday because we don’t want to pay for the full game, but the demo is fun. I agree completely with @5. For kids it’s a horrible thing

11. OlderGamer

@deathmOOn but you gotta remember that the purpose of a demo isn’t to provide freeloaders with games to play. It is made to sell full copies of the games themself. I don’t need to play something 50 times to know if I like it.

12. Dragon246

This is a really bad move. I still remember how I played wipeout 2048 demo for like 15 days before buying the game. Also ninty is also at fault here imo. Is there any other platform which allows such restrictions on demos?

13. DrDamn

Just for clarity this is a limit on the number of times you can play it, not the amount of time you can play it for.

Yes. PSN allows publishers to set an expiry date on a demo.

14. deathm00n

@11 But look at this situation: a kid wins a console and a game in christmas because he really wanted it, but his parents are broke and can’t buy any games for the kid for the next 6 months, what the kid have to play? The same game for all this time, and if he gets sick of the game he downloads a demo and really like it, he will play it all he can until he can have the game, but if the demo is locked he will need to go back to the game he’s bored of. This happened to me when I was a kid with my PS1, I got sick of my game and played a lot of times the demos that came with my console, if I didn’t had this demo disc I would probably forfeit gaming.

15. DrDamn

I think even Nintendo might manage more than one demo a month. That would give them something to play every day. There is also the eShop where they can get digital games for a reasonable price.

16. Da Man

I remember getting a demo disc with my first ps2, had a demo of WWF Just Bring It which allowed for a 3 minute match.. Can’t be worse than that surely.

17. OlderGamer

I know it is harsh deathmoon, but it is what it is. In that situation you set up, I would have told the parents to not buy a new system, instead buy cheaper games for a system they already own or buy a older/cheaper system that has cheap game to purchase. Buy a PS3(with PSN+) instead of a WiiU, for example.

Part of buying a system is buying games for it. One isn’t much good w/o the other. And buying a new system in order to play free demos is bad strategy. That being said, I get where your coming from. But I really feel said parents messed up, buying a system they couldn’t afford.