PS3 hits 30 million lifetime sales across PAL regions

Wednesday, 19th December 2012 12:01 GMT By Dave Cook

Sony has announced that total PS3 console sales in PAL territories have passed the 30 million unit mark as of December 17th. The positive announcement comes as the company’s stock rating was reduced to ‘junk’ status in Japan by credit rating agency Fitch, following poor financials in the region.

“We are really pleased with the success of the PS3 system over the last six years, and are committed to continuing our support of the platform with high quality products and titles that are of the caliber that PlayStation fans have come to expect.”

Launched in the UK on 16th March 2007, PlayStation 3 got off to a relatively slow start in retail due to its high price-point, but the release of PS3 Slim and more recently the PS3 Super Slim have seen the console enjoy a significant boost in sales in most regions.

Just last month, total worldwide PS3 sales hit 70 million – no small number we’re sure you’ll agree.

Back in October, Sony Europe revealed that it has shifted five million PS3 units in the UK alone, the same month that saw the PS3 Super Slim launch on these shores, propelling sales of the console up by 138% at the time of writing.

While it’s good news, many gamers are eagerly waiting for the announcement of ‘PS4′ – a console that VG247′s own inside sources have told us much about, including details of its AMD A10 processor and more. Get our report on Sony’s new rig here.

1. The_Red

Does anyone know how they compare to 360 and Wii’s lifetime PAL sales?

2. KAP

Hey Dave, I’m surprised you didn’t title this article “PS3 outselling 360 in PAL Region”. No, course not. :)

3. woe

Australia, Thailand and lots of other countries are included in those numbers.

4. woe

@KAP I bet it crossed his mind :P

5. Da Man

#2

Google vaseline, you poor hardcore thing.

6. DarkKnight

Poor SuckyMan cant believe it. Even having 2 xboxes in his ass couldn’t allow 360 to overtake ps3 in eu.
    Sony rules in EU. FACT.

7. G1GAHURTZ

Sony’s region definitions are messed up, anyway.

They include Africa and the Middle East, iirc, so it’s not limited to the EU.

8. Da Man

^Why do you think I like Xbox or Ms, weirdo person? Well, that’s a rhetorical question.. Fact.

9. mistermogul

I knew Europe/PAL is Sony’s strongest market, but I didn’t realise 30 from 70 million of their global sales came from the region.

10. Christopher Jack

@8, Because you only flap your maw negatively at Sony articles & Sony fanbois. The occasional time you’re not fapping over misery of Sony fans is when you’re being cynical about something else- but Sony’s always been your go to target. I think it’s completely fair enough to assume that you’re a hardcore X360 fan. Perhaps if you weren’t such a cynical douche, people may stop calling you out as things but who am I kidding? That’s what you enjoy the most.

11. Da Man

Of course i don’t, besides if laughing at stupidity and handicapped perception of computer hardware nerds’ is err, ‘ fapping over misery of fans’, then the only conclusion that would lead to is that you ‘re very likely one yourself.

Besides the whole reason you regularly post your shitty hysterical Apple ramblings is because you, as a fan of Sony style over substance bs, feel threatened by an american company which happens to make both stylish and quality hardware.

Oh, and there’s nothing ‘cynical’ about anything I say. But then what kind of a mentally ill person refers to hardware criticism as being that.. Good grief.

You’re just way too green and dense to realize any of that, JackArse.

Anyway though, PS3 didn’t outsell it’s competition nearly to the same degree as the 3ds did, therefore it’s quite logical to not have the same name for the news article.

12. NiceFellow

Hardly shocking as anyone remotely interested in marketshare would know the various regional preferences from the various announcements from Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft.

There seems little original to be noted these days about PS3/360. Vita and Wii U now… that’s where the real action is these days it seems. Seems oddly quaint to see people even bothering with PS3/360 trolling anymore, particularly the result seems to be a draw globally and a win/loss that varies by region for two consoles that are almost identical and have 95% plus the same features and games library.

13. OrbitMonkey

@12, Agreed. Tbh the fans are not trolling the consoles anymore, their trolling each other.

14. Christopher Jack

How could I be a Sony fan when the only Sony product I currently own is the PSV? I also don’t particularly care where a company is located- of course I’d support locally when given that option. As for Apple, yeah, I do think they’re extremely overrated but I don’t spend every post harassing Apple or their customers. & the point where I consider someone being a cynical bastard rather than simply critical is when they enter every article posting the exact same criticism & attacking their customers.

15. Deacon

Nothing Da Man says is cynical!! that’s just brilliant!! : D

16. Da Man

Well, now how can I be an MS fan when I have this 360 I play once a week? Besides since the news around these parts revolve around three or four at best companies, who else could I possibly diss? I quite dislike Acer, Samsung and Google too.

Cynicism has nothing to do with the rate of posts. Say, a good example of a sad cynical bastard would be that person who quite regularly types smack talk in regards to Mario and N videogames.

17. Da Man

Oh and you free thinking NIetzsche reading modern minds should know better.

How did that guy say? Err, cynical and innocent. You should get the point, brah.

18. Deacon

It’d be nice if you even made sense brah.

19. Da Man

I do, unless you have the reading comprehension skills of a 12 years old Mgs fan.

Wait..

20. OlderGamer

What do you play Da Man? Or do you only get a chance to play games about once a week? Just wondering.

I play PC/WiiU for about 80% of my time, the rest gets split between PS3, XB360, Mobile, and retro systems. Tho I don’t count watching BluRays, DVDs or Netflix as actualy playing games on a system. If I toss in those numbers I the amount I spend on XB360 and PS3 would go up a good sum.

To the article good for Sony. Nothing to sneeze at. But if I am being my usual cynicle self, when you have a 10 year life cycle in mind, all systems are going to sell good numbers. And they have.

21. Da Man

OlderGamer,

I have free time for that about once a week, I also don’t feel like playing videogames more often than that.

Most of the time I play Xbla videogames, since retail releases need way too much time and have way too little in return. Not in the sense that they’re hard but in that you have to remember what happened previously, some bs inventory, items and info I don’t want to memorize. Many also have these useless cutscenes and a pseudo-movie style, which annoys me a lot. In fact, this stupid obsession with narratives and some shitty message to send me put me off playing even Fez (whicj is otherwise really good). I pretty much stopped playing single player because I ‘d much rather play against people for an hour, it’s challenging and not time demanding.

22. OlderGamer

I hear you on the arcade style byte sized gaming. When I play consoles, I tend to play a lot of that type of stuff, ranging from Pinball FX(one of my all time favs) to Monday Nite Combat. I play a lot of indie on PC as well.

Thanx for the response.

23. Da Man

They can be full sized, they just have to be videogames without all the shit of this current fad..

I also have no issues with having to memorize power weapon locations or maps, I just don’t want to think about some items, tinker with inventory, stats or other useless shit.. let alone having to remember what happened previously on the rasterized meshes soap opera.

24. dizzygear

“Jim Ryan, President and CEO of SCEE. said in a statement issued to VG247, “This is a major milestone for us and clearly shows just how popular the PlayStation brand and products are within Europe and the PAL territories.”

Keep up the the piss poor support for the PAL zone i doubt you will see another milestone for a very long time.

Where the fuck is CS: GO? Where is RCR? Why do some country’s in the same zone get content while others do not? Why did you censor Twisted Metal for the ENTIRE PAL zone JUST because of Germany? Why did we not get the Journy collection? etc etc etc

25. DarkKnight

Oh the irony, the hypocrisy! Biggest troll and “Schizophrenic” of vg247- FuckMan says this-
    “With all these ramblings about users flaming I wonder if I should just e-mail your post history to Pat, poor alt account?”
    Why not send your own broke-ass comments first, since all you do is trolling in your pathetic life.
    Poor soul, bitches about others enjoying games that are beyond his skill level, since he is a mental patient and when someone bitches back at him, he is like “MAMA SAVE ME, I AM BEING TROLLED!!!”
    Get a life you fucking loser.

26. Ireland Michael

@25 He shuts up when people ignore him.

Nothing to respond to, nothing to continue.

27. Clupula

If anything I actually wonder if DarkKnight is an alt of Da Man, so he’d have someone to argue with, since most people here have just started ignoring him.

28. Da Man

There you go, buddy.

I’ll e-mail them for the lulz. That and to point out Lolcon’s depressing hypocrisy.

29. Da Man

If you aren’t an alt account they can keep you (since if you’re a new user you must be some demented person indeed, I mean I’ve seen 10 year olds who ‘re better at both speech attempts and at a comment).

30. polygem

i actually planned not to comment here anymore. but whatever – why not post here or there sometimes.
    i have zero problems with da man. he can be rude sometimes, he´s always in your face but he confronts people directly in the thread…if you don´t like what he says just tell him or ignore him if you feel like that. i have a problem with the new style of trolling here though: people coming to certain threads, constantly bashing and provoking, posting quotes of ancient times in different threads (as pseudo “evidence”) and totally putting them out of context, accusing others for the stuff they are doing themselves, twisting and turning every single word to their own interest. lying. denying. the back stabbing, sleazy type…that´s something i do not want to deal with anymore. da man is alright. he´s fighting rough but plays it fair.

31. Clupula

@30 – What I love about your comment is that you pretty much described yourself. I’m almost positive you did that on purpose.

32. Da Man

Thx, would t-bag Lolcon if I could.