Diablo 3: Blizzard bans “Several thousand” players for using bots

Wednesday, 19th December 2012 09:20 GMT By Dave Cook

Diablo 3 developer Blizzard has banned several thousand players for using bots, cheating and – it says – “Undermining the spirit of fair play.” The announcement was made this morning, along with news that new tools that allow players to report foul play will be coming in the new year. Get Blizzard’s statement on the matter below.

On the studio’s forum, Blizzard community manager Lylirra issued the a statement on its wave of bans:

“We’ve recently issued account bans to several thousand Diablo III players who were found to be using botting programs while playing. In addition to undermining the spirit of fair play, botting, hacking, and other forms of cheating can also cause technical problems with the game as well as contribute to performance issues with the Battle.net service.

“As always, maintaining a stable, safe, and enjoyable online environment for legitimate players is very important to us, and we’ll be continuing to keep watch on Battle.net and take action as needed.

“We will also be adding the ability for players to report this kind of behavior directly through the game client in a future patch.”

The post also urges players to report instances of bots, cheating or hacking on the Diablo 3 forum, although the above statement has been met with criticism from players in the thread that follows it, with many players arguing that the move is too little, too late.

What is your experience of Diablo 3 security and fair play? It’s unclear how many bans ‘several thousand’ equates to precisely but if true, this move does point to a potential lapse in security measures and moderation. Let us know what you think below.

Thanks Blue’s News.

1. sh4dow

Most importantly though: How many players are left now? ;)

#1 1 year ago
  2. BULArmy

I have not played for 3 months and yesterday I got back online. 2/3 of my friends were still active and finding games with random ppl is no problem. I am really dissapointed that the PvP is still not here 8 months after release.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Sini

WOw, torchlight 2 really must have flopped, no post about it yet in diablo 3 news. It had its 2 days spotlight at release I guess before a collective fuck this shit made people uninstall it.

Getting back on topic, I hope they fire the writing staff before they start on expansion, sure you only care about it during first play through, but it still left a bad taste of utter fucking incompetence after all this time for me.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Se_7_eN

@3 – “WOw, torchlight 2 really must have flopped, no post about it yet in diablo 3 news.”

When a game runs as smooth and has very little complaints from the player base, you don’t need to re-assure players by posting news articles about fixes every single month.

Also, they are working on newer bosses and expanded zones in Torchlight 2 for that “flopped” player base ;)

#4 1 year ago
  5. Rafa_L

The news of bans doesn’t excite me much, as I read in some foruns, several people that uses bots sell the items and afirm that they make some decent amount of money, enough to buy a new game after bans and still profit, so it doesn’t matter much. I find it believable that they make decent money since a friend of mine put some pice of sh** items for sale and they sell sometimes for around 5 dollars.

@3 I agree the writing is crap. “vegetable bad, meat good”… seriously?

#5 1 year ago