Dark Souls 2 dev talks dedicated servers, protecting ‘core’ features

Wednesday, 19th December 2012 12:51 GMT By Dave Cook

Dark Souls 2 development is being overseen by the previous game’s director Hidetaka Miyazaki, and he has revealed From Software’s approach to the sequel in a new interview features in this week’s issue of Famitsu. We reported on some of the article’s key facts earlier today, but now Polygon has translated Miyazaki’s full quotes. Check them out after the break.

Polygon reports that Miyazaki feels there is a core to what makes Dark Souls 2 a ‘Dark Souls’ game, and has assured fans that these fundamental ingredients will be preserved by the game’s new co-directors Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura.

Miyazaki said, “If we’re going to announce this as a sequel to Dark Souls then I think there’s certainly a core that we need to protect. I’m talking about how we think about the difficulty level and how you achieve things in-game; about the concepts behind the mechanics and level design.

“Outside of that core, though, I think it’s better to leave things to the discretion of the director. There’s a lot around that core that we need to fix or adjust, besides, and individual touches always tend to come out in the world setting and artwork, so I’m not meddling in that very much.”

Responding to a question about the game’s setting, Shibuya chipped in, “I can’t completely answer this question, but the two settings are connected, yes. However, I wouldn’t say there’s a direct connection as far as story is concerned. The game is set in a different part of the same planet — to put it another way, if the first game was set in the North Pole, this one would be in the South Pole; that sort of contrast.

“‘Time’ is one of the central keywords we’re keeping in mind as we create this. I can’t give concrete details about this yet, so hopefully you’ll be able to use your imagination for now.”

On the issue of Dark Souls 2′s dedicated servers, Shibuya continued, “Setting up a dedicated server lets you retain your data, making it easier to share it with other players. We’d like to evolve the asynchronous message-oriented online support from the previous game; we’re imagining a framework where players are able to directly interact with each other.

Miyazaki added, “I think having dedicated game servers will be the source of a lot of new potential in Dark Souls 2. There was a lot with the original Dark Souls I wish I could have done if we had the ability to have those serviers, so in that way I’m pretty jealous of the new director here.

“I think the concept behind online play in Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls was pretty plain to gamers, so I’m hoping we can evolve on that concept here without removing ourselves too far from it.”

Thanks Eurogamer.

1. Strange Sultan

Too many cooks :(

2. YoungZer0

Can never have too many cooks.

3. Dave Cook

*coughs*

4. MFBB

#1 can cook you lots of tasty things :)

I read all the news about Dark Souls 2 since the reveal and basically all websites say that it will have better graphics, improved multiplayer and a tutorial (instead of just letting you discover everything).

5. Clupula

No, directly being able to communicate is a bad thing.

See, I’ve been one of the people not ranting and raving about how this is the end of the series as we know it. But adding direct communication is a step in the wrong direction. The does not need to be friendlier. In fact, if anything, the game should make you feel even more isolated.

6. YoungZer0

@4: “and a tutorial”

Depends on how they define tutorial.

“Also the story and information about world/characters etc will no longer be “hidden” in the item descriptions—>it will be more clear/straight forward presented to us.”

btw. was there any mention of the art-direction?

@5: Agreed, the isolation is what makes the game so great for me.

7. manamana

Guys, lets be honest, it’s no *Souls* game anymore since his highness, Miyazaki isn’t involved.

It might be a good sequel to Dark Souls, with better graphics (probably next-gen), better tutorials in your face story and archetypes of heroes and foes. You will be guided from the beginning and you will probably know where to go next.

All the stuff I loved aboit the Souls-Series will be gone. It’s unusual approach to force players to discover the world, heck the whole game, is gone forever to appeal to a broader audience.

My only hope is Miyazaki is working on another game and I really hope it’s no iOS stuff …

8. Belmont

#7
    I think you are going a bit too fast. I think they may be able to beautifuly balance what is “broader audience” and all the core concepts that are for fans.

9. manamana

I don’t think so. You take away too much of what makes Demon and Dark-Souls so special. Miyazaki is out, so his take on the concept of the Souls-Series is gone with him. It might be a really good action-adventure-RPG. And yes, you will die often. But you know, it’s a fact that Namco-Bandai want this series to be more profitable and drive it out of the hardcore niche market.

And while you speak of it, I’m considering myself a fan. And really I have a hard time to tell you in a few sentences what makes DarkSouls so very special to me. It’s not only the combat or the open world, where *you* decide, which way to go or explore first. Not the huge Bosses or absolute clever Leveldesign. Or the fear lurking slowly around corners. Or the NPCs.

It defenitely is more than the sum of its parts.
    So tell me about “beautifully balance” all the core concepts for fans.

No my friend, it might a good, even a great game, it’s still developed by FromSoftware. But it wont be the masterpiece Hidetaka Miyazaki brought to us. That chapter is closed forever.

10. Clupula

You do know that Demon’s Souls wasn’t open world, right? It had the Nexus as a hub.

11. jldoom

Tutorial, you don’t need it.

Being able to communicate directly, you don’t need it.

Better online service, THAT’S what we need. I just want to be able to connect when I summon a player, or get summoned with greater success. This waiting to get summoned or praying it actually works frikken sucks. It’s not the fact that it makes it easier, playing online PvP and co-op on occasion really makes the game fun!

12. HighWindXIX

To all the people freaking out about Miyazaki not directing it, I ask you to look at Final Fantasy. Not where it is now even but the golden age of IV-IX. Sure Sakaguchi created the series, but of the games considered the best, he only directed IV and V. I don’t think anyone can make an argument that FFVI wasn’t a Final Fantasy because Sakaguchi didn’t direct it.

Now, who knows if the same could be said for the Souls series, but until this game actually comes out, lets hold our judgement and hope for the best. Praise the sun.

13. Chetanalpha

I study all the details about Black Spirits 2 since the expose and generally all sites say that it will have better design, enhanced multi-player and a guide (instead of just allowing you to find everything).

Also the tale and details about world/characters etc will no more be “hidden” in the product descriptions—>it will be more clear/straight ahead provided to us.

cheapest dedicated server

14. Hybridpsycho

“Well thank god for that. This had to be one of the worst story telling devices in recent videogame history. It’s 2012, you simply can’t do that shit anymore.”

Please end your own life, now.