Cease fire campaign calls for online peacetime in memory of Sandy Hook victims

Tuesday, 18th December 2012 10:44 GMT By Dave Cook

A cease fire campaign has called on players of online shooting games to lay down arms in memory of the Sandy Hook school shooting victims. The campaign organisers aren’t blaming gamers for what happened, instead asking players to take action to show the rest of the world that gamers care about such issues. Get the details below.

MCV reports that the campaign will start on Friday December 21st, and will operate under the Twitter hashtag #OSCeaseFire, should you wish to voice your participation.

The ‘Day Of Ceasefire For Online Shooter’ campaign was started on Facebook as a reaction to claims that games – specifically Dynasty Warriors – were the catalyst for the Sandy Hook shootings.

“We are not blaming video games,” said organiser and GamerFitNation Inc CEO Antwand Pearman. “We are simply making a statement that we as Gamers are not going to sit back and ignore the lives that were lost.

“Instead we will embrace the families with our love and support. This starts Thursday night, Friday morning at 12am and will in Friday night, Saturday morning at 12am.”

Will you take part by laying down arms? Let us know below.

1. peteb

While I appreciate the gesture of this activity I wouldn’t support it myself as I believe people could get the wrong idea about what it represents.

I can see many people viewing it as some kind of collective admission of guilt; that games were somehow responsible for the tragic events.

I think we as gamers should keep gaming as removed as possible in connection to this tragedy and look at the real issues instead.

2. Crimsoneer

No. Sorry, but what an absolute pile of wank. LETS STOP SHOOTING OUR IMAGINARY GUNS.

You know what I’m going to do to remember the Sandy Hook victims? Talk to my friends about gun control. Read up on depression and how it affects people. Enjoy life, and everything in it. You know, actually do something fucking useful.

What a bunch of self-aggrandising thundercunts. This sort of bullshit internet campaign is like pissing yourself in black pants – a lot of warm feelings nobody else cares about, but you still come out like a massive tit.

3. Froseidon

To start, I would like to say that the Sandy Hook Shootings are terrible. I have never seen why America has laws allowing guns to be carried, but then again, I am from the UK.

Now that that is said: “The campaign organisers aren’t blaming gamers for what happened, instead asking players to take action to show the rest of the world that gamers care about such issues.”
    - I’m sorry, but I am sick of people not seeing “Gamers” as people. We care like every other person (because last I checked, we are people), why do we need to prove that to anyone else? It is an honourable goal to be sure, and it is something we do with our hobby but seriously, the media has blown the blame on gaming out of control by using stupid reasons that stupid people believe.

Take this for example – “Dynasty Warriors – were the catalyst for the Sandy Hook shootings.” – So am I led to believe that a game with no modern weaponry (I.E – Guns) in it is to blame for shootings? Hmm, interesting take.

P.S – I would like to re-iterate that I do not support the shootings and that they were a terrible thing, but I just get angry when games have been blamed for things that is clearly not possible. A film, song or even a painting has just as much blame potential, but no, its always games…

P.P.S – I know this organisation is not blaming gamers, but someone clearly has. I do feel this campaign is honourable but I’m pretty sure there are other ways to honour the victims as well without attaching games to the subject. Finally, I’d like to say that the campaigners are doing something morally good, which is great.

4. HauntaVirus

I’m all for supporting a good cause but video games have nothing to do with this tragedy. Therefore, they shouldn’t be intermingled with this campaign or associated with the Sandy Hook shooting.

5. Gheritt White

I both support and will be taking part in this worthy cause.

6. FeaturePreacher

Maybe I should take part and not play my shooting games. Instead, I’ll go read the anarchist’s cookbook, watch a violent movie such as the dark knight rises, listen to Metallica’s kill’em all, and then squeeze out a few rounds of real bullets from my AR-15 semi automatic rifle, since we know asking people to not shoot real guns that kill real people is just too much to do after such a tragedy.

7. CPC_RedDawn

How about trying to call of cease fire in Syria?? How about Afghan? Libya? Iraq? Egypt?

Thousands upon thousands of innocent women, children, and men have died and are dying every day in these countries!???

And you want to call of cease fire because “oh no, its happened in our country to our children and that’s not acceptable! Where everyone can carry a firearm legally!!”

Yea it is a tragedy that these children were brutally gunned down in their own school with their teachers. And the scumbag that did it should be FORGOTTEN about! Not consistently mentioned in the media like he is being. I have no idea of ANY of the names of the victims or the hero teachers who tried to save /shield them.

Video games do NOT kill people, Gun do NOT kill people, PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE!!! Stop trying to find something to blame it on.

8. OrbitMonkey

I’m wondering when “gamer” became a social tag. Y’know like white male, etc.

I’d be fucking embarrassed if I met a guy who introduced himself by “Hi, I’m Earl, I’m q gamer”.

Just seems odd… Though I guess it’s happening all the time with music… Y’know, that somehow the type of media you consume, somehow defines you in a meaningful way.

9. Stardog

I heard the shooter also walked into the school. I would appreciate it if you would all stop walking. Walking.

10. roadkill

What!? Why the f**k should we do this!? Terrorists are killing each other and I should stop gaming because of it!? F**k it! This is a moment of joy! I’ll do the exact opposite thing, I’ll hack as many newbies as I can today. Cheers!

11. Clupula

Fuck no. I don’t even like FPS games and I find this offensive. This is us, as a community acting like we’ve done something wrong. The real problem is mental health, not videogames. I say NO! I will in fact, purposely make sure I play something online with guns in it, even if I have to do a Gamestop rental of Killzone or Resistance or something.

12. Cobra951

To support this would be to support the notion that online shooters have something to do with the real shootings. So, no–hell, no.

13. shogoz

It’s just an idiot making a group just to see how many idiots will do it so they can feel good about themselves when masturbating next. simple.

14. DSB

I think some of you guys are kinda overreacting. Those crimes have nothing to do with gaming, so why is this threatening?

They’re pretty clearly saying that it isn’t about being apologetic, it’s just about showing sympathy for the victims. In that sense I think these guys look more balanced than the rest of society who won’t even discuss their very real gun laws.

I think it’s a nice thought even if it’ll never be enforced, and even though no one will notice.

15. theevilaires

No “I WILL NOT” support this. This is not gaming’s fault and gamers across the world shouldn’t have to feel guilty because this tragedy happened. Its messed up yes and you can call me cold blooded if you want but if my daughter had died in this I wouldn’t want to spread the grief across the world. I’m sorry nut cases like that guy is out there but like I said thats the society we live in now.

Cobra I just noticed your post above mine while I’m typing this and I second your opinion. HELL NO! Don’t feel safe to have your child go to school then there are other options like home study or something. The gaming industry has nothing to do with this and if any of the victims feel that way or other morons of society then fuck you. plain and simple.

I blame facebook and twitter for the killings now. This guy used facebook or twitter in his life time. I say the ignorance and out right stupidity of Facebook and twitter made this guy do the shootings now. Everyone stop using facebook and twitter please! Also I want everyone on that date to not watch TV or Movies at all. Don’t upload any Youtube vids containing anything of ignorance or violence.

Pfft…You think this is the end of this kind of stuff? Next year there will more mass murders. Theres been mass murder going on in Syria for the past year I wonder if thats a result of video games too.

Yes you are you dumb fuck!

Motherfucker who are “we”? You don’t speak for me asshole. Like I said any gamer doing this is admitting your guilt to this unfortunate incident that has nothing to do with video games. I hate ass holes like him who go on shitbook and try to get attention for their organization by starting dumb ass causes like this. Fuck I want to punch this guy in the face man. This article pisses me off.

16. Ireland Michael

The reactions in this thread are perplexing.

This is supposed to be symbolic, not literal. A simple little sacrifice intended to represent a stance on your feeling of something tragic, not a crusade against society or anything so drastic. No blame is being thrown around.

It’s a nice gesture, even if it doesn’t get to the core of the problem. Ultimately, at the end of the day, nothing will bring back the children and nothing will cure the grief the parents are going through. The whole thing is tragic. The least any of us can do is take some time to empathize with the suffering these people are going through.

17. OlderGamer

Can’t you guys play something else for one evening?

18. YoungZer0

Everyday people in afghanistan and pakistan are being killed by dronestrikes. Stop playing Call of Duty as long as drones are being used.

19. theevilaires

OG: “Can’t you guys play something else for one evening”?

Yes we can but that’s not the point. If we change our daily habits based on something that’s meant to symbolized a cause that doesn’t relate to our hobby then that’s making us affiliated with that thing whether it be good or bad.

This ass hat just wants attention to his organization and is feeding off of this bad news. I hate when people do this. Kotaku isn’t doing this…IGN doesn’t have a Sandy Hook violence awareness games thing going on. This douche bag along with other douche bag bags on SHITBOOK do this. Its shameless attention to me.

Wheres the fucking Syria sympathy day at? Only in fucking America are we suppose to feel sorry for humanity. FUCK AMERICA, FUCK FACEBOOK, and FUCK this doucebag starting this dumb ass cause. This is what I hate so much about America and the media here. Little kids are dying every day all over the world. How many kids in Syria died this week? Is that based on video games. Aren’t those the guys who we kill in COD and MOH so its game related right? Fuck America man and fuck this cause. My heart goes out to the kids man because that could have been my child but America needs to stop with the feel sorry for us more because we’re more special shit. Its sickening and fucking leave video games out of it man. I’m tired of video games catching this wrap.

20. DB

I think I’m gonna play that one airport level in Modern warfare I heard off so often.
    Seriously speaking out loud to represent a group of peoples who most of the time: A) Don’t even know. And B) Don’t give two shit about that kind of event. Is just plain retarded.
    I for one don’t even like shooter games but this is just dumb, dumfucks.

21. DSB

So unless you mourn everyone, you should mourn no one. That’s certainly a very balanced and compassionate view.

Which is to say nothing for the fact that no one actually wants anyone to help Syria. If you use military power, that’s wrong, and if you don’t, that’s wrong too. Political correctness makes for lousy foreign policy.

22. OlderGamer

I understand and agree to a large point. But I wonder, for some gamers, I think it is a legit question.

There is zero chance that a call for a game out like this would work. But I see what they are saying.

23. OlderGamer

I always liked “Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick”. DSB. But your right, sometimes too much PC is a bad thing.

24. OrbitMonkey

Wouldn’t it be more productive to have a gaming marathon to raise money for the survivors?

Ok, obviously not a FPS, but something family friendly etc.

Showing sympathy by not doing something? Weak sauce man. What you trying to say? “Oh I’m so addicted to violent games! But this tragedy, will make me put up my pad for the day & watch Jersey Shore instead”.

25. Ireland Michael

@25 I think the idea is to use the time as a personal vigil more than anything else. A chance to reflect.

26. theevilaires

Hey everyone lets take the time to reflect on matters like this when it only happens to Americans. Lets not all reflect on things like this happening to children outside of America because only when things like this happen in the good U.S. of A. we should participate in making a change some how. Gamers around the world unite for an American disaster! Put down your controllers for one day please cause it’ll show respect for people you don’t know anything about.

Hundreds of kids across the world are being slaughtered everyday but the world sits and just looks on and gamers keep playing COD and MOH hours on hours to no end.
    How come no one on shitbook or the media is linking the violence and child killing in Syria on video games? Oh thats right they’re Muslims who cares about those people right?

Participating in this act is only showing that its wrong when American kids are killed by random acts of mass violence but not other kids in countries around the world.

27. Ireland Michael

@27 Those deaths are just as tragic, and deserve just as much respect. If you think those deserve some sort of vigil or time to reflect, then extra kudos to you too.

If you know of ways people can help those people, feel free to share with us.

For many of us with children, this is just something that hits a little close to home. It happened on our soil and in our neighbourhoods. It’s understandable that parents would be scared for their own children after an event like this.

28. theevilaires

@28 Yea you can help by not mocking other kids who are slaughtered by crazy ass mad men by not doing what this moron ask. Instead use facebook and twitter for more positive things instead of trying to get likes for your organization.