Ghost in the Shell: SAC license now with Nexon

Monday, 17th December 2012 01:47 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Free-to-play publisher Nexon has secured the rights to the critically-acclaimed anime series Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

Ausgamers reports the publisher will create a game based on the second season of the show, subtitled 2nd GIG, as well as TV movie sequel Solid State Society.

“We are very pleased to have given the opportunity to work with Kodansha in the development of games for the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex franchise, which is highly popular worldwide,” Nexon CEO Seungwoo Choi said.

“We will add Nexon’s wide-ranging experiences and know-how to the original creation in order to develop high quality games to meet the expectations of all its fans.”

I’ve included that informationally destitute statement because it’s the sum total of what we know about the upcoming game so far: nada.

Production I.G.’s Stand Alone Complex series and movies are a new take on the Ghost in the Shell world, made famous both by Masamune Shirow’s manga and a 1995 film which stands alongside Akira as one of the key releases bringing anime to general western attention. As with almost all media based on the franchise, the series shares themes and characters but pays little heed to timelines established in other releases, so a game based closely on its story lines will be something of a novelty.

Korean multi-national Nexon is best-known for its free-to-play titles, which include Maple Story, Vindictus and Dungeon Fighter. It publishes and hosts western games like DOTA 2 and Warface in Asia as well as its more visible efforts in the reverse direction.

1. Jerykk

Not sure how well GitS will translate into a F2P multiplayer game. Seems like you’d lose all the interesting story elements.

2. Telepathic.Geometry

Yeah, if I had to translate that series to some kind of genre, I think I’d make it something like that Watchdogs game that’s on the horizon, or maybe Remember Me. Hacking and spying and solving mysteries and shit, and then in the end, the odd bit of gunplay and mech shenanigans.

F2P multiplayer? I’m not feelin’ it…

3. Brenna Hillier

What about a tank action affair? I really liked the PSOne game which took that route.

4. goodguy

i go for a deus ex gameplay style

5. Telepathic.Geometry

@Brenna: What was it, a Tachikoma game?

6. Brenna Hillier

Yes! You could jump and hang on the ceiling and all. It was a bit like Jumping Flash. It had tremendous production values. Proper cut scenes and all. Viddy:

I’ve still got it and whack it in the PS3 sometimes.

7. Erthazus

You can buy it through PSN?

OMG. Want.

P.S. But what i really want. I want third season or a new anime movie in GiTS franchise. So far we had nothing since 2006. (Except for a crappy remake of the first GiTS)

8. Telepathic.Geometry

What [b]I[/b] want is, seasons 1 and 2 re-released on fucking Blu-ray, AND a third season. As for the game, I’ll see if I can find it on PSN tonight, I’m just interested enough to maybe drop a few yen on it. Hope it has a demo…

9. Brenna Hillier

@Erthazus I don’t know if it’s on the PSN, I just play off the disc. I think it’s held up pretty well so check it out if you can. Hold down both shoulder buttons to zoom forward, that’s my pro tip.

@Telepathic.Geometry Blu-ray re-release yes yes make this happen already Kodansha

10. Telepathic.Geometry

I have all of the DVDs, but they’re going to my brother-in-law for Christmas, so I need them replaced with something shiny… Make it happen Motoko!

11. Dragon246

PSP GitS anyone? Was a good game imo.

If anyone wants 1080p versions of animes and movies legally and free, they can make a account (free) at bakabt.me and access those. Just don’t be a dick and upload it too. Its a private torrent site.

@Brenna
    World of Tanks RIP.

12. GwynbleiddiuM

I must protest at this. One does not simply turn every franchise ever existed to mindless multiplayer shooter.

13. absolutezero

Eh I feel that the PS2 title is actually the better of the GitS games.

Plays out more or less exactly like I thought it would.

14. NeoSquall

@3 I’d dig a game similar to the old GiTS PSX game.
    Is it available on the EU PSN too (the PSX game, of course)?