EA slips from NASDAQ-100 list following share drop

Monday, 17th December 2012 10:33 GMT By Dave Cook

EA has tumbled from the top 100 NASDAQ-listed companies following a 40% share drop in the summer, and the perceived failings of BioWare’s MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic. See the fallout below.

MCV reports that the annual NASDAQ-100 report saw EA, Netflix and Blackberry manufacturer RIM tumbling off the list, while Facebook was promoted into the fold, suggesting that claims surrounding its slouching fortunes are perhaps misplaced.

The site suggests that EA’s poor fortune comes from a 40% share drop in June this year, and that traders among Wall Street are mindful of Star Wars: The Old Republic’s “failure” to capture audiences and to generate significant returns. The MMO launched to a mixed reaction and has recently offered up a portion of its content for free following dwindling subscription numbers.

Also under scrutiny was Medal of Honor: Warfighter, a title that has seen no end of controversy over misplaced weapon promotions, ties with real-world events – such as the siege on Osama Bin Laden’s compound – and disciplinary action taken against Navy SEALs leaking information.

The game’s poor critical reaction didn’t help either, and prompted industry analyst Michael Pachter to predict that mediocre sales could kill the franchise dead.

NASDAQ OMX executive VP John Jacobs said of this year’s list, “Since its inception, the NASDAQ-100 Index has evolved into a world-renowned brand that includes the 100 largest non-financial stocks listed on The NASDAQ Stock Market.

“The securities being added to the NASDAQ-100 Index will join Facebook, Costco, Apple, Google and other household names that are leading the new economy forward. Our objective re-ranking process ensures the NASDAQ-100 remains a relevant investable index that is the underlying benchmark for about 7,100 products in 22 countries with a notional value of about $1 trillion.”

What’s your take on EA’s placement today? Let us know below.

1. SameeR_Fisher

Truth be told ?!, I want to say serve you suckers for all what you did to gamers ((wasn’t EA the one who started the whole Online Pass thing ?!)), but when I think about it for a second, I feel it will just get worse.

More gritty-brown-terrorists FPS, more casual-ization, more main streaming, more focus on FPS, …………….etc

MoH:WF was a disaster, I enjoyed the first one, and I was sad to see what they did with the 2nd one, it turned from a special ops kinda of thing, to every day shoot all out war, hated that.

DS3 is on the scale of balance, it looks promising, but I fear no matter what they promise, the horror factor will be diluted, ALOT, after all they want to get to the gamers who can’t stand horror WTF !!

Crysis 3, well some fans are calling it Crysis 2.5, but I don’t play Crysis, so I don’t know.

FUSE & AoT are already looking bad, one is 2 player co-op, the 2nd is 4 player co-op, with Fuse having a slightly cool thing going on with the fuse weapons, but I fear it may end being like every other game.

2. SameeR_Fisher

I have said this many times, but anyway I am still waiting for Dante’s Purgatory ((the sequel to Dante’s Inferno)), I know the first game wasn’t the best, but it had tons of potential, and I enjoyed it alot, if they can go away from God of War cloning, and focus on a different style of combat ((Close Quarters Combat)) they would make one hell of a game, I really hope they don’t throw it away, there were rumors all over the place about it, so I am keeping my hopes high.

3. roadkill

It serves you right for publishing games like SWTOR and day 1 DLC.

edit: And you know why this is happening? Because you’re trying to be another Actvision. And what you’re not taking into account is that your clients are slightly smarter than CoD/WoW/Diablo players. Actually, they are much smarter. :)

4. wickedcricket

die EA, die, die, DIE!!!

5. Dave Cook

Funny how this news has got a lot of people calling for EA’s death (not speaking about anyone on here sincerely).

Because hundreds of people losing their jobs is quite funny, of course.

6. GrimRita

Im trying to think when the last time was that EA actually made a full year profit.

@Dave – EA fire people regardless in an ‘effort’ to cut costs. If they spent less money licking the arses of Talent and football players, maybe they could invest it in some ACTUAL studio talent.

I personally think it needs a change at the top and I don’t mean that other arse – Peter Moore.

Regarding SWTOR – ‘Life Day’ and Xmas was a chance to actually celebrate a year of the game(or a year of survival- just!) but instead you can celebrate Xmas and the games first birthday if you [insert method of payment here] ! Is any wonder a section of players hate how EA work?

7. SameeR_Fisher

@Dave: IMO no one really wants EA to die, not literally, but what we want to see is the death of greedy EA, and the rise of an EA that cares about it’s fans and those who buy its games.

For example like Dead Space 3, I hoped that EA would focus on giving more survival horror experience, rather than try to seek out those who are too afraid to play it.

or with Medal of Honor and how they turned it to the ground, heck did you see how Mother resembled Captain Price ?!, it’s like they are copying CoD or something.

They should focus on giving the players what they really deserve, treat them with respect, and stop being greedy, I know it is all about business, but they took it way too far with things like Day-1 DLC and Online Passes.

8. viralshag

Don’t like online passes? Don’t buy pre-owned.
    Don’t like day one DLC? Don’t buy it.
    Don’t like EA? Don’t buy their games.

It really is quite easy to make a stand against the things you dislike when it comes to gaming. Gamers made the industry what it is by making those decisions with their wallets.

No one to blame but ourselves. Get over it.

9. Dave Cook

@7 I think some people with half a brain actually do want to see EA dead. That’s the scary thing. Moronic if you ask me.

On Dead Space 3, I played it a while back. It just feels like the other to be honest, except there’s now another guy running around with you. Felt fine to me :)

10. theevilaires

I never did like EA after they started the online pass thing. I don’t buy used games but still it sucks, don’t take it out on the consumer take it out on Gamestop some how. Anyway EA is a company I now enjoy watching their games launching at $60 and priced at $30 or $20 in a few months time. Until they get rid of that awful game pass I’ll never buy another game full priced again (from any company).

….Oh and EA if you’re reading this I bought BF3 for $10 at SEARS this past August. So fuck your online passes and I hope you go down the toilet even more.

11. roadkill

For the record I do not want EA out of the picture.

12. DSB

The share drop is really old news by now, and currently the stock is bouncing back.

That being said, I think it’s poetic justice that they failed on so many counts.

You can’t just throw a ton of money at an MMO and expect a hit. You can’t just lock a game into Origin and be succesful. You can’t just slap an old IP on a new game and expect it to be popular. You can’t just inject needless controversy into a shooter, and expect higher sales for it.

I think those are positive lessons, and I think they serve to highlight the fact that EA has become so cynical that they’re undermining their own business.

At some point, you’re going to have to start caring about what you put out, beyond numbers and metrics, or fade away with the rest of the empty suits.

13. SameeR_Fisher

@Dave: well there are bad people everywhere I think.

As for DS3 I really hope it is still the same :D

14. theevilaires

Roadkill: “For the record I do not want EA out of the picture”.

I agree with you but I’m still glad to see them knock off their high horse even more after they thought foolish things like online passes were going to get consumers to buy new releases at $60. It just made them seem bitter and angry that places like Gamestop are getting the best of them. Thats not our (the gamers) fault so don’t take it out on us. As much as I love Criterion I’m not buying the new NFS: Most Wanted until I see it at a much lower price brand new. FUCK YOU EA!

DSB: “That being said, I think it’s poetic justice that they failed on so many counts”.

Amen to that I’ll second it!

15. OlderGamer

I hate EA. I buy, own, and enjoy many of their games. But I dispise the way the company works. I dispise the obvious money grabs. I dispise so many of their tactics.

And Viral I don’t think you can blame the individual for the collectives actions. This isn’t grade school. Lets say you are a NFL fan…don’t buy Madden? I love football, EA makes the only NFL football game(buying the liscence exclusively) is one ofbthe thigs I dispise them doing. So if I want to play NFL, I have to deal with EA.

I don’t like Walmart, but when they have what you need, and arevthe only store in my town…I shop at Walmart.

I just get tired of rightious gamers thinkingbthat the industry is all about consumer choice. It just isn’t that simple. If we as gamers boycot the megapubs for stupid stuff like online passes, day one dlc, cross promting(forcing) other platforms(origin account tie ins wth every EA purchase), ect, ect then our systems will spin a lot less discs. No Acti, EA, Thq, 2k, ect.

I think gamers have every right to bitch about being hosed. Sure some folks stoping spending cash. Hence the stock troubles for…well alot of companies.

16. DSB

@8 But then you’re also talking about an industry that is collectively underperforming, well below the rest of the technology sector.

So at which point does it become acceptable to ask that the industry stops eating its own tail with these empty charges, attached to mediocre products, which people arguably aren’t buying?

I don’t think that article can be shared enough.

17. TheDarkWeapon

I want to hate and dislike EA… but I have to pay for the dislike DLC.

18. viralshag

@OG, Games are a luxury, you don’t NEED to buy the latest version of Madden and unfortunately not buying their products really is the only way you can make them listen.

Personally, I don’t see how people can complain about something – lets use the NFL exclusivity deal as an example – and then buy the very product which helps them to continue keeping that license.

@DSB, I don’t know how well gaming as an industry is performing in comparison so I can’t really comment.

To me as a gamer, EA has probably been my favourite publisher this gen by clear margins.

19. DSB

@18 That’s the point of the article though, the only company that is keeping up with the tech industry average (represented by the Nasdaq index in those graphs) is Activision, and even they are showing signs of weakness at this point.

There’s no games publisher that is actually above the average, while most are rattling about well below.

20. GrimRita

@8 and I did. I refused to purchase BF3 because it was only on Origin(PC) and I point blank refuse to install their turd of an attempt of going digital, and of course, those ‘spying’ methods they were accused of post launch.

21. theevilaires

viralshag: “@OG, Games are a luxury, you don’t NEED to buy the latest version of Madden and unfortunately not buying their products really is the only way you can make them listen”.

22. OlderGamer

Ofc they are a luxury, but what does that prove? Just about anything beyond basic food, water, shelter, and biological functions are just gravey. Saying that does place you on a pedestal. And understanding it, does not nullify the rights of consumers to voice their fellings.

As Dsb pointed out, most companies are indeed hurting. EA included. I personally purchase as little from them as I feel nesecary to get what I am looking for out ofthe game.

Do you really think that if I don’t purchase Madden for a few years EA would change or tat the NFL would care and allow their license to be used by another company? Year after year Madden is one of the industries top sellers in NA. EA also bought the NCAA license, for collage sports. And untill recently held the Nascar license. The industry is much bigger then anyone person.

So while I don’t like EA, my only choice is if I want to play Madden, Ncaa or Nascar. It doesn’t boil down to some crusade against video game tyrants. No soap box needed.

I want to play NCAA, keep up with conferance shifts, the new bowl system, rule changes, etc. Then I buy EAs NCAA 13. But that doesn’t mean I can’t complain to NCAA comissions, to EA, or let some steam off on a game forum. And I don’t even need a white horse to champion.

23. viralshag

All of the above is your choice but what I’m saying is buying their product really just nullifies any complaint you may have about them. Or at the very least makes it a difficult position to argue from.

Like Grim pointed out, it’s not difficult to make a stand against a company that you have an issue with. It really boils down to how strongly you actually disagree with their methods.

I just find it strange that people are happy to complain about a company while at the same time throwing their money at them and playing their games.

24. Se_7_eN

This is sad news to me, as I really appreciate ALL game companies for making games for me… While I am disappointed with what it looks like EA has done to Dead Space 3, I will be buying it, and if I don’t like it. I won’t buy the 4th.

I think the real key to EA losing so much lies in not releasing their games on Steam, and sticking to Origin.

25. GrimRita

@25 Yup and will EA eat some humble pie and go back to Steam? They need to.

26. Se_7_eN

@GrimRita – I would really like to see this happen, but let’s be honest. It most likely won’t, sadly.

27. The_Red

I’m not a huge EA fun but I do NOT want to see them die and let Activision become the sole mega publisher in AAA territory.

28. OlderGamer

I see it different Viral.

These video games, and it isn’t as if we are talking about gross civil abuses, the games don’t cause cancer, they don’t really do much for or against anyone. There isn’ta need for a social crusade or anything.

However that doesn’t mean that users can’t voice concern or dissatisfaction with a company or the way that company runs. And buying games doesn’t null and void that persons voice.

Ultimatly, you said what we all know. We vote with our spending. If gamers go elsewhere for their entertainment, then said company will get a clue. And I also agree that Origin vs Steam is one of the many missteps EA has taken recently. So are online passes. And day one DLC. And trying so hard to be the next CoD, and so on.

I own a WiiU, I bought Madden 13 for it. For the first time in years, all of the dlc is included on the disc. My players are not caped in order to make me buy dlc for them to reach their full potiontial. It was really nice to have a complete game, all for 50usd. My point? You think Madden fans will jump fron ps360s to WiiU to take advantage of dlc free football? Prolly not. And me doing so will not impact EA or keep them from doing DLC in their next versions on ps360. A statement is made by the masses not one or two handfulls. All you are going to do by not buying something you would like or enjoy is hurt yourself.

If something is of worth and value to you, you decide. Making a statement doesn’t factor in. There are no public protests, no marches. Just games.

Still, if you don’t like something, in my mind, you still have the right to voice it.

29. viralshag

I’m not making it out to be a social crusade, I’m simply stating the obvious. Like I said, it depends on how strongly you disagree with something.

30. blackdreamhunk

wow I miss a lot in the last few days, I think that the gaming industry has gone down hill as whole not just EA. Who wants to support greedy companies.innovation has pretty much gone done down the tubes.

I think Ea will be OK. But my honest opinion you will see a lot bankrupt game devs because of consoles and big publishers.

bioware had the wrong people working on republic needed game devs like Anet