Star Citizen will “compete with any triple-a game out there”, says Roberts

Thursday, 13th December 2012 09:04 GMT By Dave Cook

Star Citizen’s Chris Roberts has teamed up with Crytek employees in an attempt to deliver a sci-fi wonder on CryEngine 3. As such, he firmly feels that the game will be able to roll with the cream of triple-a development when it launches in 2014. Find out more on his collaboration with Crytek below.

Speaking with Gamesindustry International, Roberts discussed the rapidly growing PC market, and the steadily improving technical prowess of modern day rigs. Given the amount of money raised for the project via crowd-funding, the site asked Roberts if – in two years time – the budget will give him enough breathing space to deliver what PC gamers believe to be cutting edge or ‘triple-a’ at the time.

“It’s a little more complicated than doing an old-school graphic adventure”, he admitted. “I’m confident now that we’ll be able to compete with any AAA game out there. I can’t do what I did with Freelancer, or what id did with Rage, and take five years to release it. At that point, the moment in time will be gone. But in two years, it will be pretty great.”

Elsewhere, Roberts discussed his collaboration with Crytek, revealing that many of the studio are fans of his classic game Wing Commander, “I have a bit of an advantage in that there are a lot of people who played Wing Commander in the Nineties, and that was one of the reasons they got into making games in the first place.

“I got the feeling that there were quite a few Wing Commander fans at Crytek, and they were all just excited to help out.”

Initially Roberts planned to release the game on console, way back before his Kickstarter campaign launched, but grew concerned over the purchase of his name, given that Wing Commander has been absent for many years now, and that it is largely held in high-regard with PC-faring folk.

“I didn’t think the project would suit a traditional publisher route, because big-box publishers won’t bring you success in the PC space. The big successes in PC are like World of Tanks and League of Legends: Riot was nobody before it did League of Legends, and Wargaming was a small, niche publisher.

“But as time went on, the old console publishing path started to feel very yesterday, and I was thinking, ‘Do I really want to spend three years working on a next-gen console game that would ship just after the new consoles are out to a very small customer base.’ It would get a month’s worth of play and they’d be on to the next thing. So I cut out the first step.”

Would you have played Star Citizen on consoles, or is it a fine match for PC? Let us know below.

1. RandomTiger

I want a space sim on the console but I think this project needed to happen on the PC. I’ll have to buy a new PC just to run it but if he proves the genre can make money console games will come. His game could be the big test for the genre and will likely shape the next decade of development of space combat sims.

2. OwnedWhenStoned

I don’t think a game of this scale and scope is possible on consoles.

Maybe Limit Theory with its emphasis on procedural generation would be feasible.

3. Dave Cook

@2 That’s the power of procedural generation. I think it’s a neat system, throws up random playthroughs each time. Would love to see a fantasy RPG like Skyrim use that engine.

Sir, You Are Being Hunted kind of does that too as all of its locales are random each time. Very neat :)

4. OwnedWhenStoned

Yeah I was impressed with Sir You Are Being Hunted too. It’s a great idea if it can be done properly. I decided to fund both Star citizen and Limit Theory, the former because of the ambition, and the latter out of curiosity.

Oh that and I love Space Sims…

5. TheWulf

I think that’s why I didn’t bother pledging for this; It’s simply already too close to the mainstream for my tastes. This is great for a certain demographic of space fans, I think, but just not me. I prefer my space games to be more along the lines of Mass Effect, Star Control, or Wing Commander at the very least.

The most boring thing you can do with sci-fi is concentrate on humans. Humans are generally dull and uninteresting in fiction as there’s only so much you can do with them before it seems ‘inhuman.’ I believe Niven commented on this, once. But the moment you add an alien race, all of those restrictions go right out of the window.

This is also why ME3′s slight focus on humans didn’t work as well as ME2′s vividly varied crew. And Vega was the most unlikeable scrub I’ve been forced to work with. I’m sorry, if you liked Vega, then you’re just wrong-faced. Give me Legion or Mordin as a squad member instead of him any day of the week.

But the rest of the ME humans paled in comparison to the aliens, too. Jacob with his dad issues, Miranda with her whining about being perfect. I just wanted to skip over them every time rather than talking to them, just so I could get to chatting with Legion, Garrus, EDI, Mordin, Tali, and Thane.

Really, unless you’re doing modern day, the only reason to just completely set aside aliens is if you have no imagination whatsoever. And that’s exactly what I don’t want from space. I want Mass Effect! I don’t want … hey look, a star field; A rock; Another Rock; A big rock; A belt of rocks; A planet-sised rock which isn’t a plnaet; More rocks; Human pirates (yawn); A rock; And another rock, ad nauseum.

Oh, Toys for Bob, why won’t you start a Kickstarter to get the Star Control rights back? You could make a true SC II sequel, then.

But yes, Star Citizen looks mind numbingly dull to me.

6. RandomTiger

I totally disagree with everything you say but heres a picture of an alien I assume is in the game:

7. Edo

@TheWulf Yeah,thank god Mass Effect isn’t mainstream…o_0 .

8. DSB

I hope Chris Roberts isn’t biting off more than he can produce. He definitely strikes me as one of those hugely ambitious guys that might not be the best project managers in the world.

@7 Rainbow Six Vegas in space, TM.

9. blackdreamhunk

looking forward to a good space sim

10. OwnedWhenStoned

@5 The fact that it is funded with Kickstarter would suggest it’s not mainstream.

I don’t agree with you at all, but I respect your opinions. For me, I don’t need aliens at all – the original Elite was mind blowing and there were no characters in that at all.