Rayman Legends demo hits Wii U Stateside, weighs in at 578MB

Thursday, 13th December 2012 10:51 GMT By Dave Cook

Rayman Legends is to receive a demo in the UK and US from today. We reported on the demo’s launch last week, but thought a friendly reminder would be in order. It’s live in the US now, and should be rolling out across the UK imminently. Get the demo’s contents below.

NeoGAF member Thoraxes got the demo early this morning and contains the levels ‘Teensies in Trouble’, ‘Toad Story’, and ‘Castle Rock’.

This is the Castle Rock stage:

I played this at a Nintendo showcase back in September and found it to be fun and very charming. Digging that soundtrack too. What do you think?

Thanks to Gamer4EvaTrailers for the clip.

1. absolutezero

Checking the UK store now.

Nothing. :(

2. KrazyKraut

why is the MB so important? downloaded demos from other consoles with 1.5 gb or more…?

3. Dave Cook

@2 Some people like to know. What harm does it do to state it? :)

4. DrDamn

Nice looking forward to this. @2 It helps to know so you can estimate how long it will take to get it. A smaller one like this you can grab later, a big ass one you might want to kick off as soon as you can.

5. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

If Dave is too polite to say, I will: Because it shows how quickly even a few demos are looking to completely fill up the farcical amount of storage the Wii U provides inside the box. And yes, you can use your own storage solution, but quite frankly that’s like Sony selling you a PS3 without a Blu-ray player. “Haha! Buy one yourself, you gullable moronss. PS: We hate you. PPS. Mario!”

6. DrDamn

Given 80%+ of the machines sold are premium then actually most people are fine thanks.

7. KrazyKraut

okay okay I got it xD so..maybe very interesting for those who bought the basic version

8. Dave Cook

@7 heh :D Yeah that was my thinking.

9. polygem

cool. will download tonight. rayman origins was great fun. played it on vita and half way through on 360. rayman legends looks ace. especially coop looks like fun.

10. OlderGamer

Wohoo!!

Will be grabing this asap.

11. OlderGamer

Let me ask a legit question:

If I buy a 4gb xb360 arcade, a 250hdd costs me 100usd if I want more storage.

If I want to upgrade my internal HDD for PS3 it costs me 30-50usd.

If I buy a Vita, how much do those mem cards cost?

But here is my real question, ready SDF?

Ok: Given all of the above, I can buy a 2TB external HDD and plug it into my WiiU. Said HDD will run me between 50-100usd. How is that bad?

I know the anti WiiU folks like to rip on the systems on board storage. But allowing me to walk into Walmart or Best Buy and purchase 2TB off of the shelf for a decent price is, imo, an excelent move.

Buy your external HDD and you are good to go. Time to let this one go folks. Systems have had purchase able upgrades for a like three gens now. The fact that I don’t need to buy a special Nintendo made HDD/Mem unit for a high price(MS, I am looking at you), is great.

12. killersense

^
    so sony and ms do it so it is ok for nintendo to do as well? the sad thing is you think it is actually an excellent move. I love my vita but unlike you i am not going to defend the system by saying it is ok they are selling memory cards separately letting me choose what size i want. i am still rocking the 8gb that came with the bundle until the price comes down.it adds to the total price of the system when you have to buy a separate peripheral. i am not 100% sure but i heard that you cannot even move your hdd to a different wiiu without formatting the drive. you can’t even take game saves on flash drive to a different system….

13. OlderGamer

But KS, you just proved my point for me.

The fact is buying perpritory memory solutions stink. If sold as extras, they are limiting and expensive. If built into the systems they increase the price of the system.

But allowing the user to go to the store and pretty much buy any old extrenal HDD and use upto 2TB of it, is brillant. 2TB is a ton of storage. And it isn’t expensive. I can get 2TB for less then MS charges for 250GB.

Yeah man, it is a good move, imo.

14. killersense

my point is not if u r buying any old hard drive or proprietary one. i can understand the 8gb to have a low end model but really the next and only upgrade is 32 gb? are they that cheap that they couldn’t provide a model with decent size so people don’t have to go around looking for another thing to buy.

15. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

Xbox 360 COMES with 250GB hard drive at HALF THE PRICE of a Wii U+HDD. For the record, I have over 100,000 Gamerscore, am Trophy level 12 and I have never run out of space on either system. Not even close.

Honestly, if Nintendo arrived at your house, squatted on your dining room table and actually took a shit in your cornflakes, I reckon you’d still be spinning what a great advantage that is. In one report you read, Niacin, an ingredient in cornflakes, has been linked to cancer and so it was a sensible decision for Nintendo to shit into the actual cornflakes because now you don’t want to eat them and likely, you’re not at risk from that Niacin-related cancer statistic.

Thanks Nintendo. Wuv woo. Mario!

16. OlderGamer

I agree KS the gap between 8 and 32 seems silly. Prolly would have been
    best to just go with one sku at 32gb.

6Ds:

WiiU costs 300usd and 350usd, Lowest xb360 with a HDD was 250usd that I have seen. Here: http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/consoles/xbox-360-250gb-console/78107 I would buy one of the holiday bundles if I was buying, same price, two free games. I already have two xb360s in my house tho. Just saying.

You could say yea yea but I said with a HDD. Ok. But that HDD would include 2TB of storage vs 250gb(even if you went with the biggest MS HDD at 320gb). Point being WiiU still wins.

Besides that the WiiU is a new system. It costs what it costs. Nintendo is already taking a slight hit on the hardware at the current price. Of course you can continue to live in your own world if you like.

17. stretch215

I logged in just to +100 @ post 15. That made my afternoon :D

18. Da Man

#15

Indeed…

19. theevilaires

This is the game that sold me on the Wii U. Its so much fun with the music. Nintendo needs this game at every Wii U kiosk around the country in Wal-Marts to Game Stops. So much fun with little pressure if you mess up.

20. OlderGamer

I had my system preordered, was going to cancel it, and use the cash to come home with a 3DS. Then I went into GameStop to do just that. Then I saw the WiiU Rayman demo.

Fell in love with it. Been in love with it(WiiU) ever scince.

21. theevilaires

^ Yup thats where I played it too for the first time. Its the first game everybody should try before deciding whether or not the Wii U is for them. Instant hit Nintendo!

22. DrDamn

Downloaded and played the demo last night. It’s bloody fantastic. Looks beautiful, interesting use of touch screen controls even in single player, great design and character, and the Castle Rock level is just brilliant.

Interesting to see Nintendo is publishing this in Japan. Would not be surprised if they saw it and asked Ubi to wait until after Mario as it makes that look bad to be fair. Different approaches and all that but Ubi have done a hell of a lot more with this.

23. polygem

demo is great. the castle rock level is indeed awesome. fun. (Manu, you’ll love that) great variety in level design and gameplay too. coop will be fantastic, one using the touchpad cutting ropes, giggling enemies, pushing platforms while the other player(s) are getting the standard platform stuff done. really looking forward to it. preordered anyway.

24. Gadzooks!

I thought NSMBU was pretty bad frankly, it’s an extremely tired and basic formula that just hasn’t evolved enough. Rayman does look great though.

Ubisoft are currently beating the hell out of Nintendo on the WiiU, IMO. Frankly after what I’ve played I would only consider getting ZombiU and Rayman.

I’m hoping for a Monster Hunter bundle in the new year though, that will probably be tipping point for me.

25. DrDamn

NSMBU is fun to play and has a lot of content, but in the grander scheme of things the formula and execution is very safe and tired. I’m four worlds in now and there has been nothing which has surprised me, nothing which frankly couldn’t have been done on a SNES gameplay wise (single player). It is a little odd that Ubi are doing the interesting and innovative stuff on WiiU too, at least game wise.

Not sure there will be a Monster Hunter bundle as such, but you should be able to get a decent deal around that time (March?).

26. polygem

i like nsmbu exactly because it feels like the old games. it´s a smb game in the end. sure nintendo played it very safe with this one, i can see why some people are a bit disappointed with it. i for one like it a lot. they nailed it with this one for me. it´s a great smb game, dificculty is spot on and the coop with the touch pad is just awesome. i think DrDamn is correct though. they did hold back with rayman because it would´ve been direct competition to nsmbu. i think they also did hold back with pikmin because they didn´t want too many first party games at launch so the third party titles would get a better start. a good strategy me thinks.
    i like zombiu this far, but man, it´s damn hard. great overall third party support this far also with the ports. sonic racing is such a loveley videogame and a great kart racer!

27. Gadzooks!

There’s a digital foundry article on Rayman over at Eurogamer.

They like it. From the videos it looks lovely, with nice gamepad use.

Looking forward to trying it.

28. OlderGamer

Sure fire hit Gad, Rayman is.