PS4 – last issue of PSM3 outlines 15 potential features

Thursday, 13th December 2012 14:11 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The last issue of PSM3 contains a feature listing every rumor and leak available pertaining to the next console from Sony and according to the magazine, it will not be called PlayStation 4.

Many rumors have sprouted over the console, some as recent as this week, but unlike the earlier report, the codename for Sony’s next-gen console isn’t ‘Thebes’ but still noted as ‘Orbis’ which adheres to rumors stemming as late as 2011.

Some of the contents of the PSM3 feature note the console will still work with Blu-ray, won’t support PS3 or used games, is “unlikely to run in 4K” as previous rumors stated, it will contain 16GB of internal flash memory, and the mag suggests it will sell for around £400-£500.

PSM3′s feature basically compiles all the rumors to date, with a few other possibilities tossed in; however, we’ll never know the full truth until Sony pulls the curtain back.

It was announced in November that Future would not longer be publishing PSM3 along with Xbox World magazine. The later is also going out with a bang in its last issue: it features eight pages of every rumor there is to be heard about the next Xbox console.

More on CVG.

1. Dragon246

It wont be ps4, that is almost a certainty, as no. 4 is associated with death in japan.
    Other than that, I think all other things are up in the air.

2. Stephany Nunneley

@1 Yep that is what they said. And there was something about “Orbis Vitae” (Vita) meaning “the circle of life”. Which always makes me think of The Lion King.

3. JavelinX

No used games, only 16gb flash mem? Bye bye Sony, worst than Nintendo. This time Microsoft will easy win!

4. Erthazus

I hope next Playstation will come out with pre-installed giant enemy crab where you can attack it’s weak point with real-time weapon change and use Kaz Hirai voice with “Riiiiiiiiiiidge Racer” for 600$

@3, internal flash memory does not mean there won’t be HDD or even SSD.

5. Eregol

Unofficial magazine speculates on possibilities for next next gen console.
    This is news?
    Really?

6. ps3fanboy

Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli you seriously want to learn about cramming code.. watch this guy that made the ‘space shuttle’ game and crammed it into an atari2600.. also take notice of the dedication and the enthusiasm he has for his customers.

link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLpP2uh-zmE (start at 04:00)

7. DrDamn

Well kind of. The last issue of both Xbox and PS mags they decided to try and go out with a bang and let loose all these rumours. Problem is that these were all pretty well known (as rumours) and reported on by internet gaming sites like this. Kind of ironic that a major cause of their death is online sites and to the death they still don’t seem to get it. We’ve heard all this already, that’s why people stopped buying you.

8. ManuOtaku

I just hope they can lower the price a little bit, or that is not the final price for it, the WiiU cost a lot here, i dont want to imagine how this one it will going to cost here.

9. manamana

I just hope it has decent games. The rest doesn’t matter.

10. ManuOtaku

#9 I think great games are a given thing with sony IP´S, dont worries with that mate IMHO.
    p.s i think the worries lies with always connected to play singleplayer and price factor for me, i think the games will come for sure, the good ones of course.

11. SplatteredHouse

I didn’t ever imagine (although I had no idea about the cultural significance to that number) that the new Sony console would be called PS4, or any variation around that. It didn’t sound right…Attention grabbing enough, to me. By the time you get to the fourth of something in entertainment, the franchise isn’t at its strongest, to say the least. That naming would imply iteration – but, we know that Sony are changing up in some ways this time, to respond to criticisms.

12. dizzygear

“won’t support PS3 games”

You can keep your £400-£500 PS4 than sony.

Its bad enough i have to keep my 8 year old PS2 hooked to my TV due to your boneheaded decision to take out the PS2 chip out of the PS3 even though you should be able shrink the Emotion Engine and Graphics Synthesizer to the size of a grain of sand by now.

And now you expect me to have 3 consoles wasting space? i already ran out of HDMI ports and the back of my cabinet is enough of a tangled mess of cables.

13. manamana

Ok, Manu, I should have added ‘around launch’ ;-)

14. Joe Musashi

@5 Don’t go there, man.

Also: more efficient grill and boomerang controller or no sale!!!1

JM

15. viralshag

I’m kinda with #12 on the “won’t support PS3 games” thing. If that’s the case my interest has dropped significantly.

I hope that won’t be the case with the new Xbox as my reaction will be the same. If it is I guess the PC will become my only “next-gen” machine with a few upgrades.

16. OrbitMonkey

Of course it’ll support PS3 games! Kinda make psn+ useless if it didn’t.

They’ll be able to upscale too, so there!

17. polygem

yep, BC at least for ps3 titles is a must. i think the next sony machine will have that though. would be stupid if not. i don´t know…these rumors sound fishy to me for the most part.
    @ manu: you praise sony IP´s you NDF member you? ;)

let me sign that. i really don´t think the games will be something to worry that much about for the next gen. the battle will be fought in the pricing and features sector. ms, sony, nintendo…they all have great games. the question is and always was, will you get all the systems?, will you be able to afford that? if not, which system suits you and your taste best overall, which one has most of the games/ features that you like and is priced reasonably. that´s the bottomline if you have to make a decission for only one system.

18. polygem

BC is an important feature because ps3 games will still look great for a while even with psfourbis being out. it gives the system so much more value. would be stupid not to have it. it will have it.

19. DrDamn

The problem with PS3 BC would be the need to include a Cell processor somewhere to accommodate it. Not sure I see that happening. Though it would be a useful processor to include for other purposes (stream processing for example). It would depend on costs. Perhaps there will be a full fat BC machine and a low fat just PS4 machine.

20. theevilaires

@12 and 15: I have two fully backward compatibility PS3′s and I can’t tell you when the last time I played a PS1 or PS2 game on them. BC is nice to have but in reality you’ll be so floored with how next gen games look/play you probably won’t even care about the previous gen….maybe. I’m just saying its nothing to really cry about and should make the PS4 (or whatever they will call it) much cheaper to buy since you couldn’t afford a fully loaded $599 BC PS3 6 years ago ;)

21. Erthazus

BC is important – BULLSHIT.

You buy next gen console to play next gen games, not previous games. Do you really want PS3 stuff inside PS4? Are you fucking silly? So you want a 800 EUR console?

Tards.

P.S. there will be Gaikai. I think in the future there is a possibility to play PS3 games via that service.

22. theevilaires

Also I can see SONY fitting in Gaiki with PSN+ ($70 a year subs) so you can play all the PS1/2/3 games on your PS4. It makes perfect sense and in that essence every PlayStation from there on out will be fully BC via Gaiki.

23. Erthazus

TEA is back. Impossibru.

24. OlderGamer

I have to call it the way I see it, said it before. Giakia will be a part of PSN+ and will be a part of PS4. Lest I think so. I think BC is a big deal, but not a deal breaker.

25. Joe Musashi

I very much doubt backwards compatibility will be present in PS4.

As each successive hardware generation involves increasingly complex hardware, retaining compatibility of the last generation in the next generation’s model becomes a bigger and bigger task. Personally, I wouldn’t want a next-gen console’s R&D hamstrung by keeping one foot in the past.

On paper, backwards compatibility is a big deal. People make a big noise about it. But the reality of the situation is minimal. People don’t spend all that much time playing older gamers on newer system. They’d like the option to be available but rarely use it.

And, most significantly, for all the noise made in the current generation about backwards compatibility, people have opened their wallets and bought HD remakes of last-gen games. That type of behaviour sends a much stronger message than words on the internet.

JM

26. OlderGamer

HD remakes > orig titles anyways, imo. But also the legacy titles can be leveraged as perks of PSN+, like Tea said. Now they are a bonus instead of a crutch.

I think too much was made of BC in the media last gen. I didn’t play any xbox one games on my 360. I played PSO(GC) on my Wii. And I played a few PSx and PS2 games on my Fatty PS3. But none of it was that important. And I still own those older systems incase the urge strikes me to play their games.

27. dizzygear

Just imagine how much PS2 games would be for download if they had not removed the hardware from the PS3. remember that Digital Devil Saga was canceled because of emulation problems? We would not have had that problem if they left the hardware in.
    There would also have been a good chance we would see a import section for PS2 games like with the PSone games since its much easier to put them on PSN if PS3 still had the hardware.

Also i dont buy the crap that its “too expensive”. As technology advances they can shrink the old hardware and get much higher chip yields thus decreasing the price. Also the new consoles GPU can enhance the graphics for the old games just like emulators can on the PC.

Besides all that, one machine to rule them all is convenient.

BTW i played Jet Set Radio Future just recently on my 360 when i found a copy for 10 bucks.

28. Maximum Payne

I think you will play PS3 games through Gaikai with PS4.

29. theevilaires

Dizzygear I understand where you’re coming from but we all had the option of having full BC in our PS3′s since Nov 06. If you felt it wasn’t worth it at that time for $499 or $599 then I’m sorry don’t cry about it now. The mass market clearly rejected the PS3 for the 360 for many reasons in 2006 and most of that reason was cost. Sony had to do what they could to cut cost. Go back and read all the articles and comments how most of the industry and critics bashed Sony for including the emotion chip in the PS3 because it made cost rise.

Once its gone then everyone cries like its just as important to having a new CPU and GPU thats 3000X more powerful. I don’t know about you but my PS3′s arent going in the closet once I get my PS4. Hell I still have my PS2 fat in its blue stand collecting dust on my entertainment center ready to be powered on for some good ol’ times. I suggest you do the same so we can see a $299 PS4 at launch buddy.

30. Dragon246

31. dizzygear

@29 At the time the only PS3 exclusive title i was interested in was MGS4 and im (and apparently many others) am not dropping 599 for a single game. The rest of the PS3′s exclusive lineup was mediocre at best and the multiplats looked worse on the PS3.
    Also remember how Sony publicly bashed MS for their “bad” BC and they boasted about their perfect PS2 BC? Than they pull the rug under our feet and removed it. Of course people are gonna call them out on it.

The funny thing is they probably lost money by removing the PS2 BC in the long run because they cant easily sell PS2 titles on PSN like PSone games.

32. Dragon246

Does anyone really want BC for like 100$ more? If so, sony should release a (as DrDamn called) “slim fat” for 350$ having all the hardware sans a big HDD, no BC and minor cuts elsewhere. And they can release a “fatty fat aka brick” for something like 450-500$ having BC, bigger HDD, maybe 1 year plus included and so on for enthusiasts. 2 sku strategy works, as shown by ms with 360.

33. Gadzooks!

I play Xbox originals on my 360 every week (Burnout 3, Flatout, Halo:CE until anniversary was released, to name a few)

I’ll be playing lots of Wii games when I pick up a WiiU too.

BC is a very big deal for me and the guys I game with, especially at launch. I don’t want a ton of boxes cluttering up my living room so keeping old consoles isn’t an option.

I expect Gaikai to provide BC duties for the PS4, there’s no way a Cell and RSX will be in the box, and software emulation isn’t possible.

34. Gadzooks!

Another possibility might be to produce a BC dongle.

35. Triggerhappy

£400-£500?? Count me out for a good while then if that’s the case, but tbh I really don’t see that happening. They seen what happened with their £400 PS3… I think it’ll be more affordable than that. Has to be.

Backwards compatibility was only such a big deal this gen because everything had went high def. No one wanted to play their PS2 on their nice new tellys because it looked rubbish, hence “upscalling” being such a buzzword this gen. I’ll play my PS3 games on my PS3 thank you very much lol. BUT if they can deliver BC through streaming then fair play to them… but then you’d have to re-buy all your games. Infact that’s actually quite a good argument for EVERYTHING going digital and being tied to your profile.

36. dizzygear

@32 Such a SKU was exactly what i hoped for when the PS3 super slim was announced. I would have gladly paid 100~150 extra for a PS2 BC super slim even though i already own a slim.

37. theevilaires

@Dizzygear

“At the time the only PS3 exclusive title i was interested in was MGS4 and im (and apparently many others) am not dropping 599 for a single game”.

You do know that $599 machine played PS1 and PS2 games also right? As a matter of fact I finished many PS2 games that came out late in the PS2 era on my PS3 because the launch of the PS3 wasn’t that great….neither was the 360′s…..come to think of it neither is any console. But unlike all the other consoles that $599 one launched with thousands of games ready and playable from day 1…even the 360 fanboys can’t say that about their $400 dollar box.

“The rest of the PS3′s exclusive lineup was mediocre at best and the multiplats looked worse on the PS3″.

Yea thats why I was still playing PS2 games (FFXII) on my PS3 until games like Drakes fortune and Heavenly Sword came out. I figure you were doing the same just on an actual PS2. Sorry Burger King didn’t make/release games for the PS3 to impress you like it obviously did a lot of early adopters of the 360 since they never complain how crappy that launch line up never justified $400 from the gate. No Blu-ray,No BC,and games that looked identical to the original XBOX counter parts. But hey to each his own at least Resistance Fall of Man kicked ass and was free to play with 20 vs 20 no lag at launch. 2 hours of FFXII then countless hours of free online MP R.F.O.M. then back to more FFXII all on one box :) Good times a well spent $599 in my opinion. But not yours I guess :(

“Also remember how Sony publicly bashed MS for their “bad” BC and they boasted about their perfect PS2 BC? Than they pull the rug under our feet and removed it. Of course people are gonna call them out on it”.

It was perfect well at least after that update that fixed the jaggies ;) It was 99.6% perfect for North America and Japan. The PAL territories not as much. And as for the people calling them out seriously think about it SONY included BC for the better part of the consumer. You think a PS3 that cost $599 for me and you cost SONY $299 to make? It cost them around $800 to produce a $599 60GB to provide you with full BC and you have the nerve to sit there and cry about them taking a feature out when you were practically stealing a PS3 from SONY at $499 and $599. Come on man you gotta see where you’re wrong here crying after the fact. They gave you the opportunity for 2 years before they took it out. Just suck it up you didn’t accept the offer. They’re in a business to make a profit not wait and lose money for years because you don’t think the PS3 with full BC and a back cataloge of literally thousands of playable games from launch day ain’t worth the loss they are taking to produce you the ultimate gaming machine.

“The funny thing is they probably lost money by removing the PS2 BC in the long run because they cant easily sell PS2 titles on PSN like PSone games”.

You act as if the 100 million PS2′s SONY sold last gen instantly disappeared once the PS3 BC was taken away. people were still buying PS2′s like hot cakes man. Hell I still believe the PS2 out sells the XBOX360 in Japan weekely :D My point is if you wanted to play PS2 games thats why you kept your PS2. Me personally I don’t buy the PS2 classics in the PS Store because they don’t have trophy support and I’m not going to sink 60 hours in FFX for no reason when I already know what happens and I can’t get any new satisfaction of completion again like I do with the HD collections. But we’re two different type of gamers. I respect your opinion but I think you’re crying over something that ultimately has no affect with us moving into next gen tech and visuals and thats whats really important about the next PlayStation.

sorry for any grammar errors*

38. OrbitMonkey

I really don’t see BC being missed by either MS or Sony next gen and I certainly don’t see it rising the cost of the next-gen machines that much either…

Maybe because I don’t believe the next-gen will be such a leap forward. They’ll be machines slightly better than the WiiU, texture & graphics wise, playing slightly better games, than what we have now.

But hey, my guesses are only slightly less valid than all the other rumours, so who knows?

P.s. Welcome back Tea… If that IS you? Not some alt account? Who next? Lulshock? Spiderlaw? Blerk?

39. ps3fanboy

ps2 game are low res 480p or lower and made with a crt tv in mind. making hd version, or stopping bc for them is logical. its games build with the 90′s tv and standards…

ps3 games already run in 720p and on hd nicely. after all ps3 game are made for hd tv and will still look nice in 5 years… so cutting the bc out of the ps4 don’t make sense at all… and make hd version of the ps3 game is just silly… and Gaikai streaming.. its a joke with the worldwide internet of today, Gaikai streaming will be good in 10-20 years from now.

bc of this gen is very important for the ps4, it will make it sell. if no bc why buy a ps4 first year or second year or even the third year.. the games will not be that much better, they will be in 1080p have a few better framerate.. but we know the developers need time to get to know how to program the ps4, to use its full potential.

i didn’t see the ps3 as a product worth buying before 2010… and i know many will wait if the ps4 don’t have bc.

and one thing last… saying nextgen will not support used games, is like giving yourself the death sentence in the gaming world.

40. theevilaires

Its really me Orbit :) and thanks. The place looks the same but obviously the party has died down a bit from what I’m seeing scrolling back through past years articles. No Blerk?…Bowden?….Psychotext!? Who is this Dan Cook guy and wheres J.C.? O’Connor a mod???!!!! Is Steph even still a red head? I feel like Rick Grimes waking up from that coma and finding that things have changed since I’ve been gone.

Hope spiderLaw isn’t banging my wife where ever the hell he’s at :D but thanks Orbit!

EDIT: Oh wait wait wait… I came across comment 65 in this article http://www.vg247.com/2012/12/13/nintendo-3ds-has-outsold-ps3-lifetime-sales-in-japan/#comments the kid is still in denial! I guess some things never change ;)

41. monkeygourmet

lol, Back eh?!

Last time I had a converstaion with you, it was just before I got my PS3…

You were talking about the ‘new experience’ I would have with Killzone 3, Uncharted 2 etc… after my times gaming with the 360…

I did have a new experience, that is true…

Hand cramp from the awful pad and sub-par 3D,

Thanks a bunch!

Man you hyped that shit up far too much back then.

42. theevilaires

Im sorry my love for those games misguided you monkey. To me at that time UC2 and KZ3 were very enjoyable new experiences to me and they still are in my top 10 list of best games this gen on PlayStation. I’ve never experienced 3D gaming on a PC so I don’t know if its better than the PS3 visuals. I just know I liked what I played in 3D with UC2 and KZ3 because they were “new experiences” for me.

As far as the Dualshock 3 goes thats a preference of taste. The controller hasn’t changed much since PS1 which leads me to believe you’re just not a PlayStation gamer as much as I am. Sorry I let you down man, but you should buy the Vita its out of this world you’ve never experienced anything like it before on a handheld ;)

43. Shadow_of_Despair

That will be horrible think sony! no more used games= loss for you and making small gig game systems will be the death of you….I love sony but reading this is sending chills up my spine D: