Nintendo 3DS has outsold PS3 lifetime sales in Japan

Thursday, 13th December 2012 11:19 GMT By Dave Cook

Nintendo’s 3DS handheld has – as of this week – outsold Sony’s lifetime PS3 sales in Japn, according to chart score-keepers Media Create. Get the numbers below.

Nintendo Life reports that as of this week’s Media Create stats, Nintendo has shifted 8,799,378 3DS consoles since launch, after shifting 211,499 units last week.

Stacked against Sony’s 8,716,260 PS3 units sold in Japan since launch, and the country has a new champion console. Comparatively, newcomer PS Vita is failing to ignite significant sales in Japan, with only 11,039 unit sold last week, while Wii U racked up 308,142 units in its launch week.

What do you make of these figures? Does it say something about Sony’s place in its home market? Let us know below, and be sure to check out last week’s full Media Create hardware chart here:

• Nintendo Wii U – 308,142 (308,142)
  • Nintendo 3DS – 211,499 (8,799,378)
  • PlayStation 3 – 36,994 (8,716,260)
  • PSP – 19,637 (19,488,236)
  • PlayStation Vita – 11,039 (1,074,621)
  • Nintendo Wii – 6,714 (12,608,700)
  • Xbox 360 – 1,216 (1,608,399)
  • PlayStation 2 – 904 (21,829,112)
  • Nintendo DS – 424 (32,875,469)

1. CyberMarco

Let the fanboys-war commence…

*grabbing pop-corn*

2. Dave Cook

@1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSLlZh9yelk

3. Joe Musashi

@1 And that’s precisely what this article is here to encourage:

What do you make of these figures? Does it say something about Sony’s place in its home market? Let us know below.

Take the two most headline-grabbing figures and make some melodrama from them. Post a picture of one machine in the article, ask for feedback about a competitors machine. Sigh.

The actual summary is that handhelds are considerably more popular than dedicated consoles in this region (which many have already remarked upon elsewhere). But that’s not quite as potent baiting as the method employed above. And it requires reading the article rather than just the headline.

Know when you’re being deliberately led on.

JM

4. ManuOtaku

I think the problem for sony is with the vita and psp, i dont remember seeing this type of thing with the ps2 and ps3, the ps3 did had a slow start but since release date they sold more units than ps2, now this is not happening with psvita vs psp, psp is still selling more units than psvita, and that is the most worrying thing about it, you are not only competing with the other manufacturers, but with your own products as well, i think between the psp and ps3, are hurting the vita over there, for a lot of reasons price factor, especially for ps3 it cost roughly the same and have the same type of games, and kind of bring the same experiences(console on a handheld), games like gravity rush, dokuro and sound shapes are the exception rather than the rule, therefore i think sony will need to research a lot of things regarding this and focus their strategy according to the resulsts of those researchs, i think price factor alone is not the only culprit, although it might be the main one.

5. CPC_RedDawn

@1 I am sure even the fanboy’s can see that its a matter of culture and brand loyalty rather than fanboy’s!

Nintendo’s brand in Japan is so strong when it comes to gaming. Especially handhelds which they love. Could you imagine if Nintendo released a mobile phones based hand held? Japan would go bat shit crazy!

6. Dave Cook

@3 Kindly bugger off please. That was the news, that 3DS has outsold PS3 in Japan. Why would you even start to say that it isn’t headline worthy and an attempt to get people riled up.

As for my paragraph at the end, you read this site enough to now that I always sign off my pieces like that. You can rip your heads off over silly stats if you want, it doesn’t affect my job or change the way I report things.

I wasn’t doing anything deliberate.

Now carry on.

7. Dragon246

Just shows how handhelds are king in japan. Won’t be surprised if 3ds crosses wii sales in 2013-14.

8. Gadzooks!

Ummm.. Wii sold 12.6 million so is still current-gen champ in Japan, no? Which ever way you slice it, Ninty totally owns Japan.

Does seem a bit of a provocative headline though, sorry Dave!

9. Dave Cook

@8 “Does seem a bit of a provocative headline though.”

It doesn’t as the headline is a thing that actually happened, like actually did happen in reality and wasn’t just made up by me. I can’t help it if some people don’t like the facts ;)

(Not saying ‘some people’ relates to you personally though, to be clear)

10. KAP

Dave, I love you, you know this… but JM makes a point, having headlined along the lines of “handhelds are considerably more popular than dedicated consoles in this region” would warrant me to respect the article a bit more.

To be honest these days I’d appreciate it more if sites such as this sat on a fence with these kinds of subjects, which is the only time its ok to.

11. ManuOtaku

Well so far a war was not started yet, so i think it wasnt that provocative , dave you need to be more provocative or try harder next time :), the only war that did started was for the provocative nature of the headline, funny :)
    p.s i dont think it was provocative, it is what it is, thats the news about it, as for the way he did finish this thread, it is the way he always does it, for what i do understand he really wants to hear our opinion and he really wants to be in touch with us, responding or comenting on those opinions, rather than waiting or wishing for a consoles war, people will need to realize this more often.

12. Digital Bamboo

Japan is a different world altogether. 40-year-old businessmen rock handhelds on the train and nobody looks twice. Arcades are still popular. They have video game themed bars for fuckssake. All these numbers reiterate is that handhelds are big in Japan. The PSP was a hit, and the Vita is not. The DS was huge, but the vast majority are moving on to the 3DS.

Still, this is pretty impressive for such a new system.

13. Dave Cook

@10 No, because the news isn’t that handhelds plural have over taken PS3 lifetime sales is it?

3DS literally, as in literally, actually did overtake PS3 last week in Japan.

That is literally what happened. So how can me reporting on reality be deemed as provocative. That’s like asking Nintendo to stop being so provocative by out-selling PS3.

Jesus H. Christ.

14. Dave Cook

@11 “As for the way he did finish this thread, it is the way he always does it, for what i do understand he really wants to hear our opinion and he really wants to be in touch with us.”

Yeah, this is sincerely true. I want to get people talking. It’s also a good measure of what sort of features you guys might be keen on in future. I do pay attention to what you all say, seriously :)

15. ManuOtaku

#13 Dave there are some bricked WiiU out there, they might help, sorry i just was being you know * provocative* ;)
    #14 i get that Dave and i think a lot of others as well, we already in this short time got to know you, really, sadly theres a few that doesnt get it ;_;

16. Dragon246

“Can someone point me to the nearest brick wall so I can cave my head in on it please? :P
    Which one do you like, concrete or cement ones or the fake ones?

Different strokes for different folks. I would say that japan as a market is what other market will be like in 3-4 years, as I heard one journo saying. Mobile gaming is at its peak there, it will soon be the case in rest of the world too.
    Biggest stall this year at TGS was Gree one, then ps. It was like biggest stall in e3 would be a gamesloft. It may happen…and soon.

17. Da Man

Congratulations to Nintendo. Unparalelled results both with home consoles and handhelds sales.

JM, why not flame the crap out of vg247 with your i.hate. account? Did they delete it?

18. Dave Cook

@16 a wall made of pillows preferably. Nice ones.

19. Joe Musashi

Dave, I am well aware of how you invite feedback at the end of your articles.

Numbers, however, are meaningless on their own – it is context that makes them meaningful. But you chose the most melodramatic context available. I’m not saying its untrue or inaccurate. You also chose the picture and the line of feedback. Those are your choices – not the numbers.

By all means, write however you wish to write. But when you invite melodrama don’t act upset when you get it.

JM

20. Gadzooks!

#9

I get what you are saying, the headline fact is what it is. Nobody is accusing you of making anything up.

However, it might be worth considering that the comment sections here are the internet equivalent of a room full of football thugs. Any sharp object tossed in that room is going to be used to draw blood.

Ideally you shouldn’t need to consider that at all, but then we live in a society where women need to consider carrying mace if they go out alone at night…

Never mind, It’s not turned into a knife fight so probably best to ignore me. In general..

21. G1GAHURTZ

@19:

Get over yourself.

It’s a story that states facts, and asks people to comment.

Or do you expect people to start writing headlines just to make you happy?

GHz

22. Dave Cook

@19 Trust me mate, I’m not upset :)

What does upsets me is the claim that I purposely tried to encourage melodrama. Utter bollocks.

It’s our job to extrapolate the issue from the facts/numbers. The issue here being – again – that 3DS has literally outsold PS3 since launch. Why is this so hard to comprehend?

Plus, the proposed ‘handhelds have outsold PS3′ angle is crap. They’ve been doing that for ages in Japan – therefore – that angle isn’t news.

Sure I put a funny youtube link in at @2 for the banter, but the point of the article wasn’t to encourage drama, it was to encourage grown up debate, as I always try to.

And we now know how that worked out don’t we?

23. Dave Cook

@20 love you too man :P

24. Da Man

Queue i.hate.everyone.who.disagrees unwitty paranoia in 5

4..

3..

2..

25. absolutezero

I fucking love you guys.

Also its not “Handhelds” its the 3DS. Handhelds would imply anyone is buying the Vita.

26. Dave Cook

@24 who was that aimed at?

27. Dave Cook

@25 Thank you. Said it better than I did certainly.

28. Da Man

It’s really unbelievable how N manages to wipe the floor with their competition generation after generation.

#26

Joe Musashi.

29. ManuOtaku

Yeah numbers and facts dont say a thing, it is the context the important thing, lets take for instance last gen the ps2 sold more than that the other two consoles combine, for the sake of the argument, i will make a context were the consoles are living things, then we made then wrestlers, therefore the gamecube and the xbox tag team together to fight the ps2, of course anyone can tell you the result of the match, the tag team beat the crap out of the single fighter, therefore they did won the last gen, not sony, in that context, numbers doesnt mean anything, it is all in the context :)

30. KAP

I think the biggest news here is the PSP outsold the 3DS trolololol

Nah but seriously JM has a valid point no matter how many people wanna hate on the comment it posted. Its a forum for descussion. No need for people getting upset or hate here. Its only opinions in the end right?

31. daytripper

Unbelievable the way some act over gaming, never known a community like it

32. tearjerker

Inviting melodrama by posting a factual headline, good grief what on earth were you thinking haha :P Your biggest mistake was not signing off the article with DC

I sincerely feel there is absolutely nothing wrong with the headline :)

33. TheOutcastWolf

@28 Yes, wipe out competition over and over with constant complaints over their systems’ hardwares. Mate if players want casual fun (NOT THAT IT IS A BAD THING) I’d say let ‘em be, but seriously, let the other players choose their best way for playing, none is right, it is always a choice ^^

34. DrDamn

Whether it’s factual or not isn’t the point, is it a relevant and valid comparison though? Yeah on balance it is.

When it inevitably surpasses Wii sales figures, it is ok to have the headline “Nintendo 3DS has outsold Wii lifetime sales in Japan” – yes, will anyone complain? Probably not.

35. Joe Musashi

@22 Look, I’ve really no beef here. But your words and context are in black and white at the top of this page.

For what it’s worth I think you’ve contributed a great deal to the standard of content produced here.

But let’s not kid ourselves here. Sales figures, for some reason, always got the deeply-emotionally invested and the side-takers really going. Some people don’t really care, but they like to poke things with a stick anyway. And that’s exactly what you’re encouraging.

Now you can feel bad and say that I’m ignoring what you’ve said. That’s ok. I’ve stated quite clearly that there’s no issue about the factual content and there’s folks here riding in on their LOLCopters making out like I have. It’s the internet. People only see what they choose to see.

But you’re not going to get mature debate on this topic on this site. No matter which type of character wades in. So expecting it is folly. Best not to act in denial about it though. ;)

JM

36. Dave Cook

“I will make a context were the consoles are living things, then we made then wrestlers.”

I would love to do a day’s work where I write as if games and formats are wrestlers.

Pat would never allow it.

“3DS Choke-slams PS3 in the charts from the top turnbuckle. Good god it’s a car wreck.!”

37. ManuOtaku

#30 KAP Personally i dont have a problem with his opinion, or it if it is/was a valid point or not, the thing is in that opinion, there was an accusation regarding the real intentions of the article, one thing is saying this might lead to confrontation, therefore i recomend dave you should first check what you write, and being carefull with it; But a completly different thing is the accusation he made on his comment, one is very pleasent to hear and polite, a very possitive criticism whithout doing an accusation, that dave could learn something from it, instead of a very baleful critic one, therefore the problem is the way he accused directly Dave, not knowing for sure Daves real intentions, he did stated this was deliberately done for wanting a melodramatic response leading to a console wars,therefore the problem here is the accusation, and for that the way he choose to use his words to post his opinion.

38. viralshag

Nothing wrong with the headline. Get over it.

39. mistermogul

@19 – “Numbers, however, are meaningless on their own…”

What a load of bo**ocks! Numbers, in this case sales numbers, have humongous meaning on their own. This is all Dave is trying to point out with this story and it is your interpretation of it that is causing the fuss here, not Dave’s reporting.

Let’s take a look:

3DS = 8,799,378
    PlayStation 3 = 8,716,260

How can the above be meaningless? It says it all. Stop being so petty and give Dave a break!

40. Dave Cook

@39 thanks chief.

41. Joe Musashi

@39 The example you just gave is not numbers ‘on their own’. I think you’ve missed the point you’re so eager to disprove.

And I’m really not coming down that hard on Dave. If you read my comments in full and understood them in full you’d already have seen that. But, like I said, folks only see what they choose to see.

JM

42. OlderGamer

And they label NDF a sensitive lot.

If Dave has to sensor/tailor the news around a select groups tastes it really isn’t news anymore, it becomes fanservice and pandering.

43. Dave Cook

@42 That’s a silly thing to say. By that logic the entire world is guilty of fanservicing and pandering.

By your logic the story should have been the numbers in the body text, with no headline and no context.

That is insane.

EDIT: Sorry man, I misread what you said. Ignore all of the above, my apologies.

EDIT 2: and I thought JM said that, not you.

44. ManuOtaku

#41 Joe Mushahsi ,Now is our problem with what we choose to see, man i think a good person should also look deep inside in order to find what he did wrong and/or what are/were his/her faults, for people thinking or choosing to believe that way, remember is not always a 100% fault on one part, there is always a 50%/ 50% fault in every part involved, the thing as i see it is you are never going to be willing to check what are/were your faults.
    p.s is more easy to say you didnt understand me, than i didnt explain myself correctly, the former gives the fault to others, the later you assume your fault, it is more humble.

45. killersense

the reality is 3ds is a newer system and the price was cut to levels where it is going to sell in high numbers. that is like sales skyrocketing when ps2 hit 199 or 149. ps3 is still at a higher price and handheld is king over there so nothing really special here.

46. OlderGamer

All good Dave.

47. DrDamn

@OG
    To be fair there is really only JM complaining here. Some agreement from KAP, but no one else seems to have any problem with it from that perspective.

48. OlderGamer

Fair enough Doc.

49. Joe Musashi

LOL. I’m not telling anyone what to write. I’m responding to what WAS written and expressing an opinion.

In fact, I’m not dictating anything to anyone. But the righteous white-knights have swooped in, acting like I have and then dictating what I am and aren’t to do. Ironic, no? :)

JM

50. tearjerker

I only see what I want to see: supermodels everywhere :)

51. matirishhh

What is the problem? I own 3ds, Wii, PS3 and VITA. I’m happy for the 3ds sales, we may EVENTUALLY get some new games.

52. Fin

Seriously, do ye have no work to do at all?

53. stevenhiggster

It says nothing other than Japanese gamers prefer hand held gaming, look at the DS compared to the PS2 even! And we all know the PS2 was anything but a failure. Talk about spin!

54. mistermogul

@JM – “But you chose the most melodramatic context available.”

Does he not want to entice readers? Would a title like “all consoles sold some more last week” be more effective? No, though it might your approval I’d imagine!

“You also chose the picture…”

Can I ask what your point is here? Would a picture of the PS3 been ok? Maybe both 3DS and PS3 to prevent favouritism? Or maybe a picture of a sunny landscape would be nice, though irrelevant? I just don’t get your point here. All images on VG247 are related to the story, why is this one no good?

“there’s folks here riding in on their LOLCopters”

This made me lol!

55. Dragon246

Look, people may have problems, but I think its the perfect headline. No dilution, only unadulterated fact.

56. OlderGamer

@Fin, retired here. Mostly, do some writting here and there(workwise). But most of my time is spent on gaming, posting here(you lucky lot!) and house work.

57. Joe Musashi

@54 This is standard procedure in journalism. To grab people’s attention and make the reader investigate further. Why do you think Dave, writing on a gaming site, would not do the same?

Oh, I know :) Which makes the subsequent denials and pouting seem very out of place.

The mentioning of the picture was to illustrate the author making a choice when composing the article.

If someone was just copying+pasting from some other source then it wouldn’t be appropriate to attribute the content as a reflection of the author’s own choice.

JM

58. manamana

Good catch Dave ;-)

59. theevilaires

For what its worth Mr. Joe Musashi I applaud you. You deserve it :) I always like to take these headlines and see them from another point of view. You can flip and spin it others way too.

You see “Nintendo 3DS has outsold PS3 lifetime sales in Japan” headline.

I see Nintendo 3DS has outsold XBOX360 lifetime sales in Japan in less than a week :D You just have to realize the grass is always greener on the other side my friend. It is what it is and everyone knows it, but your first comment was brilliant just had to tell you that.

60. G1GAHURTZ

TTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Duck down, fools! TEA is back!

61. manamana

This is something. So he was always lurking around, eh?

62. theevilaires

@61: Lurking?…LMAO :D I always planned to make my return on 12/12/12. I figured two things would happen on that date (yesterday). The end of the world or my return to VG247. Guess which one was more likely to happen. ;)

63. OlderGamer

Well Tea, should be interesting. You and DaMan should get along rather well.

64. Da Man

#63

I think your best friend Lolcon will be happy to know it. I can’t wait for his emotional response, followed by denial or vice versa.

65. Gadzooks!

Don’t worry, it will get banned again soon enough.

66. Cobra951

I have no problem with the numbers either. My problem is with the “champion console” conclusion. The 3DS and the PS3 are not in the same category at all. One is a handheld, and the other is a home console intended for a den or personal gaming space. They have different markets; they are purchased for different reasons. In short, they don’t belong on the same list. The Vita does compare to the 3DS, and it’s getting an ass whooping by Nintendo.