BioShock Infinite cover to be voted on by community

Wednesday, 12th December 2012 17:32 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

BioShock Infinite will come with a reversible cover, Irrational’s Ken Levine has announced. The community can also inform the developers on what the cover should be via a poll.

“We want to hear your voice on what that cover should be,” wrote Levine. “To that end, we’ve arranged a poll that lets you choose from several potential reversible covers. I’ve got my favorite, but I’m not telling which. We’ve got to do this quickly to meet our print deadlines, so vote soon.

“We’re also going to be arranging a whole mess of more alternate covers which will be available to download and print yourself. Of course, these are free and we’d love to hear your thoughts in the forums as to what you’d like to see.”

Here’s the poll results so far – shots of the options *in reverse order*are below:

• Design 4 -41%
  • Design 6 -32%
  • Design 5 – 15%
  • Design 2 – 7%
  • Design 3 – 5%
  • Design 1 – 0%

BioShock Infinite is out March 26 on PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

1. Dragon246

I DEMAND A “HEADS UP CHIN DOWN” ELIZABETH NOW!!!!!
    PREPARE TO BE BIOSHOCKED IF MY DEMANDS ARE NOT MET!

Courtesy- Songbird

#1 1 year ago
  2. Maximum Payne

I think second or fourth would be cool.
    Others are not cover box material.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Stephany Nunneley

@2 I voted for #2 myself.

#3 1 year ago
  4. SplatteredHouse

I like the first one the most (top left). It looks as if it could be a comic book cover. I like the subtlety, colour and sense of scale.

“Here’s the poll results so far – shots of the options are below: “…In reverse order! (design 6 on the site, is the 1st design seen here, etc) ;)

#4 1 year ago
  5. onlineatron

Why on earth wasn’t the standard cover w/Elizabeth the default look anyway? I can’t see the addition of a woman in the background turning off too many “frat boys.”

Not that any of this matters anyway. Sure, it’s indicative of a problem with the industry as a whole, but the game’s what really matters, and that looks great!

#5 1 year ago
  6. YoungZer0

#2 on this site is #5 on the official site. Anyway, i take that one, because the story revolves around Elizabeth and i don’t like any of the artsy fartsy minimalism crap.

#6 1 year ago
  7. ManuOtaku

I like the first one top in the left, and the number five in that particular order.

#7 1 year ago
  8. onlineatron

The red design would look great in the PC/PS3 frame, but would be jarring against 360s green. Design 6 is the best all-rounder.

#8 1 year ago
  9. SplatteredHouse

“and i don’t like any of the artsy fartsy minimalism crap.”

lol! I prefer to think of these as an alternate cover choice. It’s nice that they have selected mostly separate, distinct designs for this, not just variations on the box art.

#9 1 year ago
  10. The_Red

First one (From the left). That is the one I like though the rest aren’t bad either (Except for the last one with Elizabeth.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Phoenixblight

I went with Design 6 but I do like how 4 looks as well reminds me of the book cover art for L Frank Baum books like The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and THe magical Monarch of Mo.

#11 1 year ago
  12. YoungZer0

@5: Don’t blame the whole industry for the stupid decisions of a marketing team. Having worked in marketing myself, i can only confirm that are some … rather stupid fellas working there.

Funny enough, it’s usually the ‘experienced’ ones that have no private life and nothing to live for that would use the old, dumb tricks.

Example:

We’re trying to create the lead-poster for an awareness-campaign. One of the posters was supposed to feature the belly of a pregnant woman.

So here’s what i heard from my female Creative Director:

“Let’s show her breasts, or at least some nipples. Sex sells after all.”

My second female Creative Director agreed.

You should’ve seen the dead faces of my coworkers. We … kind of found a way around it, but still, that’s the rule, not the exception. They will always go back and use what has proven to work.

I heard that some of folks think Resistance 3 sold poorly because of it’s artsy fartsy minimalism style cover.

#12 1 year ago
  13. desadoc

I voted for the sixth (because of elizabeth), but the fourth would be my second choice.

#13 1 year ago
  14. NeoSquall

>Poll Unavailable

Anyway, I’m partial to both #2 and #4 on this site.

#14 1 year ago
  15. DSB

I’m with the interwebs on this one, Design 4 or the ones with the monsters.

I just think it’s sad that no one from Irrational or Take Two is willing to come out and say they screwed the pooch. Avoiding the obvious isn’t good PR.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Stephany Nunneley

@ALL who have mentioned it –=——- I can’t control how the CMS enters the shots in the gallery. At least they are labeled correctly.

#16 1 year ago
  17. NeoSquall

@16 That’s odd. Can’t you just add one image at the time and see how the system “stacks” them?

Anyway, taking the file names in account, I’d vote either design 3 or 5.

#17 1 year ago
  18. TheWulf

Wait.

Designs #1, #3, and #5 aren’t popular? My favourite design (#4) is winning?

I think this might be one of the few times in the entire length of my memory that I’ve been proud of other gamers.

BioShock fans are apparently okay people.

Either that or I’ve been teleported to another reality where the stereotyping of certain groups isn’t openly accepted by the majority.

#18 1 year ago
  19. TheWulf

Hey, I now understand why you thought that God of War had good art direction! It’s all so very clear to me, now. You appear to hate artistic sensibilities, any and all. Would you be happier if there was a beer on the cover, too? :I

Anyway, thank you for helping to confirm that I haven’t reality hopped.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Sadismek

I really like the 4th design and the top-left one. Good idea with the poll too. I’m glad to be able to swap the cover that I like, and forget that the original one even exists. ;)

#20 1 year ago
  21. freedoms_stain

I don’t really like any of them.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Stephany Nunneley

Christ the spam bots are keeping me busy this week. Post 22 removed.

#22 1 year ago
  23. YoungZer0

@18: Wow, other people share your opinion on something and that makes you proud? Why? Because your opinion so much better than theirs?

Do you even read the stuff you write? Or are you intentionally trying to come off as a self-centered dick?

@19: Nope, i just don’t like all that senseless minimalistic stuff. It’s shallow, uncreative and easy to produce.

“Oh look, she’s petting the bird man, so deep.”
    “Oh look, bird man in front of a flying city on a red background, so deep and beautiful.”
    “Oh look, puppetman, standing like an idiot, trying to reach his hat. Beautiful and so mysterious.”

At least the Resistance 3 cover had the shapes of New York hidden inside the skull of a chimera, little bit pretentious, but at least something.

This? This is nothing!

Sell me the game, show me at least a little bit of what it’s about! That’s why i like to have both main characters on the front cover, and it’s still not good enough. Hint at Elizabeths situation. Show whatshisface trying to protect Elizabeth while bird man is attack her. Show Elizabeth using her power to give whatshisface an advantage against birdman.

If you go artsy, go deep. Use the silhouette of Bird man, inside is Elizabeth trying to escape or some shit.

You have already shown that you have no fucking clue about art-direction, if you think God of War is comparable to Dark Souls. A game with fucking mushroom people.

#23 1 year ago
  24. OrbitMonkey

So the origional box art caused such a fuss amongst the internet dweebs, their getting to vote on the new cover?

And the cover that’s now winning, is the exact same cover, but now has a airship in the background & the dollybird wedged into the corner?

Lol! Fucking genius dweebs are genius! What a moral victory!!

#24 1 year ago
  25. absolutezero

I agree with Y0 completely. This :

is far nicer than this :

Monkey the design thats destroying every other one is actually the Songbird on the Red background. VG just has the designs in the wrong order from the actual Bioshock website for some reason.

#25 1 year ago
  26. YoungZer0

@25: I think they are both bad.

#26 1 year ago
  27. NeoSquall

@25 Actually ICO is an exception, the PAL cover is artistically better than the “cheap” NTSC one.

Anyway the paragon still doesn’t stand because design #4 doesn’t appear to convey any message of what is in the game other than the floating city and the Songbird. No Booker, no Elizabeth.
    The ICO Pal cover at least shows the two protagonists running holding hands, which in the end is what you actually do in the game.

I’m okay with design #5, because it shows both protagonists and puts Elizabeth in the foreground, further pointing her importance in the story.

#27 1 year ago
  28. YoungZer0

@28: Not to mention that the huge open space emphasizes the loneliness the game conveys.

#28 1 year ago
  29. NeoSquall

@29 Ditto.

#29 1 year ago
  30. Telepathic.Geometry

I voted for design 2 (which is the 5th one shown above) but it looks like it won’t win… /am sad

#30 1 year ago
  31. absolutezero

Ico is’nt really an exception at all though. Look heres another one :

Then theres all the Final Fantasy US and EU covers. Have CG art taken from the game itself on the cover when you have perfectly good artwook instead is both lazy and pandering.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Telepathic.Geometry

@25: The artwork in the second one is better IMO.
    @32: The artwork in the second one is better…

#32 1 year ago
  33. NeoSquall

@32 Ok, shall we bring along the Final Fantasy covers too?

Exceptions aren’t unique, it just means that they aren’t part of the norm.

#33 1 year ago
  34. Digital Bamboo

I voted for #4, the red one, but I also like #6, the book cover.

#5 has good images of the characters, but they are much too big, & getting blasted by a massive lens flare.

#2 is ugly, 3 is virtually the same as the cover that will be on the other side so what’s the point, and #1 looks cheap & boring.

#34 1 year ago