Xbox 720 & PS4 codenames revealed, Microsoft’s ‘Oban’ chip still delayed – rumour

Tuesday, 11th December 2012 10:04 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox 720, Xbox Next, PS4, the Orbis – whatever you want to call Microsoft and Sony’s next-gen formats – it’s no secret they have internal codenames at their respective companies. Fresh reports have shed light on what those codenames are, where their components are being produced, and what lies under the hood. Get the rumours below.

SemiAccurate reports – via supposedly internal sources – that Microsoft’s next console will run on an AMD chip codenamed ‘Oban’, which was rumoured to go into mass production before the end of 2012. However, the same site also reported onproblems with the chip’s manufacturing with one source calling the component quality ‘painfully low’. The issue is rumoured to have cause production delays.

The site also claims that its inside sources are now referring to Xbox 720 as ‘Kryptos’, rather than the much-touted ‘Durango’ moniker that is apparently used internally at Microsoft.

PS4′s internal codename is ‘Thebes’ claim the site’s sources, and states that AMD is also supplying its base chip. This ties in to what our own sources told us back in October. You can read our full, rather massive report on the issue here.

The report added that the PS4 AMD chip will likely be manufactured at Global Foundries or IBM, and will enter production after Microsoft’s Oban chip. The site suggests PS4 will launch Spring or Autumn 2014. The belated release could be likely, given Sony’s Shuhei Yoshida’s recent comments, in which he deemed it too early to start talking about PS4.

There you go. Now, what do you think? Horse-shit, or plausible? Let us know below.

1. Erthazus

PS4 will launch in 2014? that’s too long.

2. Maximum Payne

So amd supplying both sides ?

3. Dave Cook

@2 awesome! :D

4. Erthazus

@2, so far they are the cheapest alternative and not the most powerfull at the same time.
    Sony this gen is not trying to be offensive because their shitty Cell failed hard.
    What gtames that use it’s capabilities? 2-3? and still? the earliest crappy Intel’s Dual core hyperthreaded proc was a much better solution in everything, but it’s Sony.

5. Dragon246

Was pretty known for quite a long time. Although feels weird.

6. CyberMarco

@2 Can’t stop laughing x’)

I suppose they use AMD CPU/GPU because it’s cheaper than Intel/Nvidia and more focused in gaming?

7. Erthazus

@6, Intel and Nvidia are the one’s that are focused on gaming. A lot.

AMD is not, but it’s cheap and not that great but it will do for consoles.

8. uomoartificiale

everyone thinks that next december we will have at least one new console, but I don’t think that this is going to happen.
    Sure, the first one to come up with new hardware will probably have the best launch sales, but it will also cut the demand on current-gen hardware and games. Sony is the last of the three manufacturers to actually have turned a profit on hardware sales, and they will still have big exclusives until late 2013 (the last of us).
    Either they launch the ps4 with the new uncharted and the new metal gear, or they are going to wait until the launch becomes a profitable investment.

9. Mike W

I really think next year should be the last for the PS3 and Xbox 360. We are getting some crazy looking games for both anyway, so they’re going out with a bang. I don’t think either one is releasing next year anyway, I’m 100% sure they will be announced at next year’s E3 to build up the hype for each of them.

10. mistermogul

Personally I’m happy to get next Xbox/PS in 2014. Next year is too soon for me as the games still being released on current gen are superb…

11. monkeygourmet

Still think Nintendo has timed there console releases best for the long haul.

Made shit loads off the (old tech) Wii, pretty much running profit off the bat with Wii U.

They can launch another console in 5 years no worries when the parts are cheaper that competes directly with 720 / PS4 (or slightly better) if they want.

By that time Nintendo Network will have been ironed out on the Wii U / 3DS or next handheld device and streaming may be a possibility for them.

This would be especially true if we don’t see another Sony console till mid 2014…

I think Sony and MS may have backed off a bit after seeing the Wii U’s specs, it gives more time with current gen finally at parity and games like COD are still selling bucketloads.

Plus GTA 5, Last of Us, maybe another Halo? Who knows, doesn’t sound like anyone’s in a rush no, wether you like that or not.

No one can afford huge outlays before turning profit, if anything, they look to be following Nintendo’s model there.

Also, for Sony it gives time for attach rates with things like 4K TV’s if they want to follow that route (they always do)…

12. Razor

I go with A) Horse-shit :P

Pretty certain these rumours are old and rehashed. Are semi-accurate even credible, anyway?

13. TheOutcastWolf

Horse-Shit, the PS4 chip would most likely be a GeForce based, and TOO EARLY TO TAKL ON NEXT GEN, means TOO EARLY INDEED.

Now the 720, that doesn’t seem much of a improvement and if it can’t run more than 60 FPS I will stick to current gen.

14. Mike W

I think that’s a perfect year. The good thing is MS doesn’t have to rush this time around and realse a non-complete product, seeing how big their market share is now. Sony for last year now has started making a profit on their PS3s, so we’re going to see a lot more from that system for next two years at least. Nintendo is off to a rough start, I honestly believe the Wii U should’ve launch along side with the 360 and PS3.

If the rumors are true, the next gen systems are going to be powerful than their predecessors (even if they’re weaker than your computer that YOU builded) Nintendo is going to have a hard ass time convincing the market to buy their system over their competition. And to make matters worst valve is bringing in their own console, so next gen is going to be interesting. One of these manufacturers, are going to back out of the market next gen….nobody knows who though.

15. Fin

The vast majority of displays max out at 60fps.

16. DrDamn

It’s already been suggested a couple of times before that both are going the AMD route. Think that is more or less nailed down.

17. chaoszage

hm..honestly,ps3 still have a long way to go,it is ultimately damn too early to release PS4.

18. OlderGamer

My thoughts are well established so I will try not to bore anyone.

The highlights are:

2014 seems about right, spring feels wrong, fall seems right.

Neither PS4 or XBNXT will be massive graphical leaps forward. I am just hoping for solid 1080p(we won’t get all games at 60fps). I look for more ram, faster memory. Better textures. I hope faster load times(but that will depend on medium capacity/drive speeds etc). Basicly smoother, crisper, faster…same games. It will be like upgrading your old PC to a newer better one, and then running your old games. They look and perform better, but are still the same old games.

I expect a major focus on services. Major focus. Looking at current systems we can see that more people watch netflix on XB360 then play games(hours spent). And PS3 is the lead platform for Netflix, so…I am guess ing the samething for that system. Games are great, but the services is were the next gen will be fought.

Prices will be a major factor. I expect these system to use subscription plans to offset the high initial price. Much like a cell phone, much like MS does with their 99usd xb360 bundle, it requires you to sub to Live Gold for 2 years at 15usd a month. Your 99usd xb360 turns into a 450usd total price tag. Expect the same type of thing next gen. A 300usd box with a two or three year plan putting it in the ball park of 650usd to 830usd total price. Of course as always there will be different skus, so expect the prices to vary.

I can tell you that the next MS console release will happen before 2014. It will come out next year. But it won’t be a dedicated game system. MS will pull another kinect of sorts. They will put out a set top box strategy where the system is focus on services ranging from the current ofering to its own TV service. I expect news at E3 and a release in fall of 2013. It will not be a high end games focused system. It will play games tho, smaller casual type stuff. (think a box that turns any TV into a smart TV). No clue on price, my guess is 150usd to 200usd(again maybe there is a sub plan).

I tend to agree with what MonkeyG said. If you are bored and looking for new game experiences: buy a WiiU. If your happy with PS360, good, stay with that. The longer MS and Sony wait the smarter Nintendo looks with WiiU.

Almost all of that is just my opinion. And I do sometimes swing for the fences(NA saying regaurding Baseball, meaning go big or go home). Time will tell.

19. DrDamn

@OG
    Agree on the services and subscription, but not sure how …

“Neither PS4 or XBNXT will be massive graphical leaps forward.”

Tallies up with …

“A 300usd box with a two or three year plan putting it in the ball park of 650usd to 830usd total price.”

It will either be not a massive leap forward and a < 100usd box + sub or a substantial leap forward in graphics and processing and be 300usd + sub. Possibly 300usd, not a massive leap + sub but with something extra like a screened controller :).

I'll go a bit further and suggest they might well adopt a much more closely tied phone/Apple model. I.e. named "XBox" and new incremental but backward compatible models every year/18 months.

20. killersense

seeing footage of star wars, watch dogs that are currently in development and Agni’s philosophy engine i don’t see how you guys think there won’t be a massive graphics leap. the problem right now is both sony and microsoft want to drag it out but that is hurting the industry and the third parties are forcing them to release it earlier so there will atleast be one console next holiday no matter what because there has literally been nothing announced for fall 2013 for either console. the other console will follow in spring 2014. ps3 has some gas left in it still and could wait till 2014 but i think they will launch in 2013 just to get a headstart and reclaim lost market from this gen. i just hope they are prepared because nintendo might pull a 3ds and do a panic price cut on wii u and release a couple of their first party titles and dent the initial rush for ps4

21. OlderGamer

I wonder about a second screen too. Ofc you and I both have WiiUs and we can see the huge upside of its GamePad. But prolly a lot of gamers reading this will think the second screen is a not a big deal or even a distraction. I didn’t think much of it till I tried it. I would love to see a second screen(packed in) with both PS4 and XBNXT. I doubt it will happen tho.

I see what your saying about the raw power/tech trade off against the high price. But then again looking at current xbox360, there is no way the MS offering of a 4gb model with kinect is worth a total 450usd either.

And don’t get me wrong, I expect the next systems to be graphicly further ahead of what we have now, and that includes WiiU. But what I don’t expect is movie quality animation(Pixar studios) nor do I expect true photo realism. I expect a step up like PSx to Dreamcast, not PSx to xboxone. A evolution, not revolution. Which is fine. But when you consider how long the gen cycle has been it would be fair to expect more.

I think the strong Yen continues to be a factor. It is, imo, what made the WiiU a good 100usd higher then Nintendo intended. The PS4 will reflect that as well. And if the PS4 is high priced, and it will be, then MS will have the luxury of staying close in price, but undercutting it slightly. Much like this gen has been. I would be amazed if the prices of the new systems came in at less then 500usd w/o a sub plan.

I think you might have something with 18month upgradable systems. I have been thinking that for awhile too, but I doubt we see that untill Apple gets involved. And I think they will. Either by extension of their Apple TV boxes or iPads(that have device to TV outputs)(and wireless controlers). If that happens it is game over for traditional consoles and everything changes. It might be the shake up that some folks are saying the industry needs.

Anway it works out it will be fun to watch. Till then I am going to enjoy what I have and be glad Nintendo put out WiiU when they did. 2014 is still a long ways off.

22. Joe Musashi

Lots (millions) of people can make informed decisions about the worth of a second screen without needing to own a WiiU. 2-screen gaming and its apparent benefits have been with gamers for many many years in the shape of the DS and 3DS.

For example, I’ve seen well over a thousand DS games and can name, on the fingers of one hand, the ones that make genuine meaningful use of a second screen to introduce gameplay that otherwise couldn’t be achieved.

The repeated assertion from the same persons that “if you don’t own a Wii U then you’re not qualified to hold an opinion on it” is one of the most insidious and ass-backwards attempts at dismissing a different/opposing view that I’ve seen for quite some time. I don’t care how politely you try to cut my tongue out, it’s a tactic that’s only acceptable in the eyes of equally narrow minded opinion-dictators.

JM

23. DrDamn

@OG
    “But prolly a lot of gamers reading this will think the second screen is a not a big deal or even a distraction. I didn’t think much of it till I tried it.”

This! I do miss it when on other systems. It just feels right and natural.

What is evolution/revolution in graphical terms is always going to be an opinion. I think they will both comfortably support 1080p with increased poly counts and better effects. Initially that might not seem a huge leap as you compare the best of this gen to the first of next gen. The overall difference will be comparable in impact to PS2->PS3 or XBox->360 I think, at least to those with a 1080p TV.

24. OlderGamer

Forget to eat your fiber this AM Jim?

Look man it is what it is. Talk to a few people that actualy own a WiiU. Get their take. Dissmissing it w/o any time using it seems just as “insidious and ass-backwards attempts at dismissing a different/opposing view” to me as you put it. If you round up thousands and put it to them and 90% or more of them tell you they really love the thing, and you or other folks dismiss it w/o even trying it…. I mean … really?

In the end you don’t have to enjoy it. And the act of enjoying anything is basicly a personal opinion anyways. But yeah man, MiiVerse is filled with countless WiiU owners lavishing love on Nintendo for the WiiU GamePad. Even people that aren’t impressed with one or another aspect of the system praise the GamePad. Alot of people, me included, feel it is just flat out awesome.

Don’t you feel that maybe your missing out on something? Even if you don’t like Nintendo, fair enough, but I bet if MS or Sony had a WiiU style GamePad, you would change your tune.

25. Gadzooks!

Screened controller or GTFO Sony & MS.

I don’t think I’d want a new system without one after having used the WiiU. A traditional non-screened controller feels utterly cumbersome and outdated now..

26. killersense

lol @ trying to sell people on wii u and its magical gamepad abilities. it is cool tech but i personally just want a normal controller and the system needs to have awesome graphics, better ai, memory and faster load times like almost instant.

27. OlderGamer

I am not trying to sell anyone anything. But truely I would love PS4 and XBXNXT to have screens on their controlers. Very few times does something come along that actualy changes the way you can play and what you can do in a meaningful way. I would say second screen gaming is as big of a deal as twin thumbsticks.

28. polygem

i think we´ll see nextbox winter 2013, ps4 sometime late 2014. you can see ms fading it out with their (missing) game announcements. there are more fresh titles in the pipeline for ps3. while i think the 360 is an awesome console, i believe it´s time really has come. ms did a good job with their UI/ dash updates. i am personally not the biggest fan of it, especially not the ads, but it all works well and it helped to make the 360 feel fresh again. i think the ps4 has the hidden horsepower/potential to compete with the nextbox for at least one more year. i think, especially in the first few years the graphical leap wont be that big. the services will definitley improve. multimedia devices. the rumored subscription models make perfect sense too, i take for granted that there will be an option to buy full price or sub, especially for the nextbox. these consoles need to come with a second screen too imho, smart glass or whatever – and they need to mock miiverse somehow because that really is the future of online social. i know, people will go mad again now, but i truly think msony banged their heads on the wall after they first heard about the ambitions of miiverse -and it really works. if nintendo can improve their network stuff i can really see them in a very good position in a few years. ingame hints and comments from friends and other users just IS the way to go.
    wii u is timed very well. if nintendo can achieve to get as many ports and third party support as possible they can directly compete with the current 360 and ps3 and maybe even directly with the msony next gen for quite a while and then launch another system in a few years. they will be behind for some time but i don´t think that porting games will be impossible and that they would look that worse – again – at least not in the first year or two of the next consoles. wii u graphics will improve too in the next years. i think the wii u is timed just right, so was the wii.

29. Joe Musashi

@24 Who’s Jim?

The fact that you’re assuming less-than-adoring views on the Wii U could only possibly come from someone with no exposure to it gives away your lack of objectivity on the topic.

You don’t know whether I have or haven’t. But you demonstrate you don’t need to know. Your logic says that if I’m not in love with it like you are then I haven’t. You didn’t even ask.

I don’t care for novel/gimmicky ways to play games. I care for gameplay. Dual screens, touch controls and motion controls haven’t turned earlier great games into unplayable messes. Because the gameplay remains great. Likewise, dual screens, touch controls and motion controls won’t turn shitty gameplay into great gameplay.

You might as well tell me that a piece of crappy writing is magically transformed into greatness by changing its font.

JM

30. polygem

the tablet discussion, not aimed to anyone directly, just my opinion about it in a few short words and then i am out as i don´t feel like entering the ring yet again – but – i want to say that i have the wii u, i didn´t expect that much of it, certainly not that it would feel like a nextgen device…well, it does. it feels like the freaking future – a nintendo console – ps360 feel strangeley old to me know. the wii u is a great machine and superfun, believe it or not, that´s totally up to you. but please don´t piss all over it when you haven´t even tried one yourselves.

31. ManuOtaku

#29 Joe Mushashi “Because the gameplay remains great. Likewise, dual screens, touch controls and motion controls won’t turn shitty gameplay into great gameplay”

Kirbis canvas curse, ghost trick, the trauma series, zack and wiki, (adventure games), etc, really demostrates that motion controls can turn good gameplay into great gameplay, those games without them would be not possible gameplay wise, they will end up being commont trope, i dont know if you have or havent own a Ds, Wii or WiiU, it doesnt matter with that mindset, you will not find anything worth about those new gameplay mechanics, instead of naming the good games you count “with your fingers” and the things they did great, you only stated the gimmick novel fasion of the nintendo consoles, that speaks a lot, even if you own the devices your mindset is already been placed, it wont matter the gameplay, you will only see the gimmick thing.

And the mindset of if you dont own it you should not comment, has been already touch in this site by sony fans, they were the first defending the vita using this very words, and if i dont recall wrong, i dont remember seeing you complaining about it back then, why now?, because is OG and is that time of the year you keep hunting him like you did in the kerplunk era, that became tiresome, please dont start it again.

32. OwningXylophone

@ OG

“I would love to see a second screen(packed in) with both PS4 and XBNXT. I doubt it will happen tho.”

I don’t see MS doing it personally. I think they will push the “Smartglass” approach and have the 2nd screen be whatever smartphone/tablet you already own in an effort to keep the costs down and promote their whole interoperability thing they are trying to do with Metro.

33. Dragon246

I personally doubt anything next-gen would come out next year, since unless you are apple, there just wont be any hype for the hardware.
    Unless sony and ms have gone loony, they wont implement 2 screen as a permanent requirement like wiiu. MS and sony have done great this gen by not pursuing gimmicks like motion controls aggressively and only providing it as an alternative. I am sure 720 wont have 2 screen as kinect will be their main focus. Both companies would be much better spending money on a better cpu/gpu instead of adding another screen, which would serve no purpose whatsoever except in a few games. Just look at wiiu launch lineup, except nintyland (and zombie u according to some, but looks tacked on to me), no game has used it wisely, and 1 out of 25 odd games is an awful number.And in most games its just shoehorned.
    I don’t think sony and ms bother too much about ninty as their respective customer bases are pretty stable.Most 360 owners will jump to 720 and same for ps3 owners.
    Lastly, both ms and sony must sell their consoles at a loss at launch. Dude, I will be paying you for years to come, can you at least provide me some kick-ass hardware at an affordable rate?
    It makes sense for sony to release ps4 in 2014 as its financial condition would have improved by then and they should be able to be a loss leader like in ps2 and ps1.
    Its a good thing that NO next-gen games we have seen till now features 2 screen gameplay, which is good for people who don’t have 4 eyes to look at 2 separate screens.
    PC just proves hardware gimmicks aren’t required for great game. Trusty keyboard and mouse have lasted for decades.

34. Joe Musashi

“Kirbis canvas curse, ghost trick, the trauma series, zack and wiki,”

Can all achieve their gameplay with a single-button mouse from the 1970s. There is a crucial distinction to make between gameplay and the novelty method by which it is executed. This distinction appears to be completely lost on many. The corporate marketing has clearly worked very well.

JM

35. ManuOtaku

#34 Joe Mushashi “Kirbis canvas curse, ghost trick, the trauma series, zack and wiki,”

Can all achieve their gameplay with a single-button mouse from the 1970s.

Please demostrate how kirbis and ghost trick could have work with a single button, iam intrigue now, especially kirby´s case.

“And I see how you’re now attributing the “you’re not allowed to comment if..” logic to a specific faction as a method of deflection. Like I said: insidious.”

Is not a method of deflection, it is what it is, you went against OG for doing that, but not with others Why, nice try with your atempt of deflection, you didnt answer why with OG?, you have the problem with that mindset in OG case, but not with others on this site, that were the firsts ones to bring this up, again kudos for that deflection.

“Excellent demonstration of only seeing what it suits you to see. Along with accusations and efforts at manipulation/dismissal. You’ve danced this dance before and it remains spectacularly unconvincing.”

If i were you i would keep shut up with that thing, remember you didnt bring the answer to that topic, iam still waiting for that laws, remember you didnt respond it, not me, you did accuse me of only seeint what it suits me, like now, therefore again prove it with facts and not with your opinion, remember you are the one acusing here, therefore you are bound to bring the evidences.

36. Joe Musashi

I don’t need to demonstrate it. If you can grasp how a mouse operates I think you can work it out for yourself.

I’m not disputing (or denying or deflecting or manipulating – please learn how to do this) your claim> I just don’t comply with your assumption that I have read every single comment from every single poster on every single article and am selectively overlooking some. For your accusation to stick, you have to make a HUGE assumption and leap of logic. Seems like very foolish way to make accusations but I’ve seen you repeatedly make assumptions and leaps of logic when it suits you many times.

So, yeah, I have a strong bee in my bonnet when I watch someone use their freedom of speech as a way of stifling another’s freedom of speech.

Which means when I see a sentence that starts “If i were you i would keep shut up..” I don’t even get to the end of it.

Have a nice day.

JM

37. ManuOtaku

No i dont please do it, dont deflect it again please, but please with tech of 1970, i mean doing the same game with the same mechanics .

“And if I see anyone trying to push their personal view and snub the views of others with such dictatorial logic as “you don’t have a right to an opinion if…” then I’ll call it out. If I don’t see it, I can’t comment on it. I’m not disputing (or denying or deflecting or manipulating – please learn how to do this) your claim, just not complying with your assumption that I have read every single comment from every single poster and am selectively overlooking some. For your accusation to stick, you have to make a HUGE assumption and leap of logic. Seems like very foolish way to make accusations but I’ve seen you repeatedly make assumptions and leaps of logic when it suits you many times”

You are right on this one, and its nice to see you have this mindset for others posters as well not OG only, the sad thing is that you cannot change the past of manhunting him, and that made me thought that way, because there was a long precedent of this, but thats the way it should be, really again you are right and iam wrong with this one.

“Which means when I see a sentence that starts “If i were you i would keep shut up..” I don’t even get to the end of it”

Here goes again, remember you didnt bring the answer to that topic, iam still waiting for that laws, remember you didnt respond it, not me, you did accuse me of only seeing what it suits me, like now, therefore again prove it with facts and not with your opinion, remember you are the one accusing here, therefore you are bound to bring the evidences, iam waiting.

38. OlderGamer

How come we can’t just agree Dragon? I like you, I really do lol. I feel like we are family one living in the north, the other in the south at the start of the American Civil War.

Ok a couple of points, as I see em:

I strongly disagree. I think MS sunk a mega ton of cash and investment into Kinict. Both in development and marketing. Kinict remains a intergal part of their strategy and I think will be for a long time.

But both companies went after games with “gimick” control methods, pretty agressivly.

Next:

“Just look at wiiu launch lineup, except nintyland (and zombie u according to some, but looks tacked on to me), no game has used it wisely, and 1 out of 25 odd games is an awful number.And in most games its just shoehorned.”

Again strongly disagree. Most games I can play off of the TV Screen. That means I can let the wife watch Iron Chef on the Food Network, and I can play Madden13, Sonic racing, CoD Blops2, and almost everything I have thrown at it on the GamePad alone. No TV needed. That is awesome.

Likewise I can watch Netflix on the Gamepad. I can and often do use the internet(and post here on VG247.com), using just the GamePad. All while NOT viewing the TV screen or even having it on the WiiU input.

As for games, lots of things to do. From managing my animals in Funky Barn to drawing hot routes in Madden(no other verson allows this). there are so many little things you can do with the second screen it is hard to put it into words.

Words like Shoehorn, when it comes to WiiU GamePad features come from previews/reviews. Most of it is ignorant or just flat out lies. Again man, if you had it in your hands, you would see what we are saying. I am not lying to you. It just works, and it works great. I was playing Minecraft on my xb360 and couldn’t stop thinking about all of the great ways I could use a second screen in that game. I really miss it when playing ps360 stuff.

Next:

Loss leaders for hardware? Yes likly. Even WiiU was sold at a loss. The strong yen is going to be a bitch for Sony. It drove up the cost of WiiU for Nintendo. However, one thing has changed this coming gen. Platforms need pubs more then pubs need platforms.

Just think about all of the devs turning to indie routes and self publishing. Look at the Pubs exploring other platforms like social and mobile. I don’t think MS, Sony, or Nintendo have these guys by the short and curlies anymore. They just have other options. Which means you can’t risk losing billions on hardware because your not gaurneted to remake that loss in the long run.

Plus, isn’t that one of the reasons we had such a long gen cycle anyways? Too long. It took a long time for MS and Sony to reach the black. Nintendo on the other hand was making money right away on Wii, and their distance to profit on WiiU isn’t very long or far either.

Making uber powerful hardware could kill Sony. They will have another Vita. Awesome tech/kit too expensive, slow adoption rate and loss of 3rd parties. An uphill climb for sure. With their bond value at junk level Sony needs to be extremly cautious going into the next gen. Another PS3 style stumble and they could lose all of the momentium they have trued so hard to regain in the later half of this gen.

An affordable system, PSN+, and a solid line up of games, and they will be fine. Lossing too much money upfront … not so sure they will be fine.

MS can bleed money if they want to. No concerns there for them.

Cheers Dragon.

39. polygem

i didn´t want to, but dragon gets me all the time. you call the touchpad a gimmick again. so it´s something noone really needs, it´s just a gimmick, adds nothing to the game. with words like this you shouldn´t complain if someone starts to “defend” the gamepad. what you are saying over and over again just isn´t true. i already told you several times that playing nsmbu coop with the touch pad improves the gameplay a lot. it uses gameplay elements NOT possible without the pad and it really is a new (and fun) way to enjoy games. in almost all of the nintendoland minigames the pad improves gameplay or at least brings new stuff to the table – in zombi u too, miiverse is superb, writing, drawing on the pad, click and it´s there for everyone to watch, share, comment, draw an answer. stuff like this makes og´s argument so much more true. you haven´t really played, yet you judge it. it just doesn´t make any sense.
    i wouldn´t have a problem with you if you would say “you can´t imagine that it improves gameplay, but then, you haven´t tried yet, you are still sceptical” etc etc. but that´s not what you are doing. you say it´s shit while all you know is shit and that…sorry…stinks.

40. OlderGamer

JM, I don’t think people don’t have a right to express their opinions. I even said stuff like:

“Almost all of that is just my opinion”

and:

“In the end you don’t have to enjoy it. And the act of enjoying anything is basicly a personal opinion anyways.”

And ofc, the dasterdly:

“if you don’t like Nintendo, fair enough”

Just more Fud tho right JM?

Look man I am not a bad guy, never have been. I am an opinionated guy. And I do like to talk alot about games and out my two cents in. But I never said people can’t have an opinion about the WiiU because they haven’t tried one. What I do believe is that after tying one your opinion would likly change. Mine did. Maybe you missed the posts I made where I was talking about canciling my preorder or keeping it and ebaying the WiiU?

I caved in, tried it, and fell back in love with gaming again. I have a feeling that if given the chance to play on a GamePad a lot of people would be impressed, even if they didn’t like the brand name. Ask Dave Cook, ask Pat Garret, ask just about anyone that actualy owns a WiiU. The concept of a WiiU GamePad is amazing.

If you are wondering about the quality of a Movie that just came out, would you ask someone that has seen it or someone that has not? I would ask someone who has seen it, because I would want an informed point of view.

Wouldn’t you?

41. OrbitMonkey

To be honest I saw the same thing happen with the Wii, so I’m pretty sure the WiiU will go the same way.

Nice new control method, that initially blows people away. Great first party games & the odd really good 3rd party game… Then a nice gentle fizzle down to damp squib.

The WiiU will not have the best CoD, will not have the next elder scrolls/fallout, will not have the next Borderlands… Etc etc.

I admit I can’t afford all the toys I’d like, so I’ll save my pennies for the real next gen, rather than buy another 360 with kewl tablet control!

42. OlderGamer

I don’t play CoD, have it in my rental Que tho, so I can not comment first hand. But I have read that BlopsII on WiiU is best version. Poly might know, i think he has played both, could be wrong tho.

I do tend to agree with yer thinking tho Orbit. Esp if I was on a limited budget. Hard not to pick the xb360 or ps3 with their lower price and larger libary of games.

43. polygem

@42: Hey OrbitMonkey, haven´t seen you for a while. i agree that it would help the wii u a lot to get the third party/ports on board. sure. i am personally not so sure if we can write off ports of bioshock infinite, borderlands 2, dishonored and future third party games though. it´s too early to say that.
    i absolutely understand your point though. i for one also feel like buying all the systems is too expensive (not so much the systems but also the games). i did that this gen. it costs serious cash for sure. next msony gen i will think that through very very carefully. maybe i will even go wiiu/3ds plus pc only. i will have to buy a new pc soon anyway, my machine is dying, giving it a year. i am a bit tired of the sony ms marketing, pseudo cool bullshit too…i hope for valve creating something cool. overall i am a lazy ass, i´d love to see some media pc/ gaming pc steam hybrid with easy to upgrade components.

44. polygem

regarding cod: i had the 360 version before. the wii u version looks great and plays just as smooth. i believe it even looks a bit better on the wiiu. what´s great: you can play the whole thing on the gamepad: campaign, mp, zombies. full blown cod on a “handheld”. it´s a very very cool feature, that´s for sure.

Edit: one more thing, because i played cod mp this evening. i really like the pro controller. it´s great. a really good controller. feels right.
    having the option to use that thing or the touchpad if you wanna play cod in bed is just sweet.

45. Clupula

I do not want some stupid gimmicky tablet controller on my next system. If Sony makes the standard controller anything but a Dual Shock 4, I will NOT be buying the system. They want to make an optional tablet thing for people who think that sort of thing is neat or they want to make it so you can use the Vita like you can now for PS3, that’s fine. But DO NOT force me to have to deal with crap like that.

As for the time for them to come out, I think both will be announced at E3, but Next Box will be late 2013, with PS4 mid-to-late 2014. Either way, I expect them to have graphics that are far beyond this gen. The type of graphics that the high-end PC’s of 2020 will make look quaint, but still the type that will blow away anything we see this gen.

46. OrbitMonkey

@poly, Whats CoD like online with the WiiU?

I imagine everyone sends each other happy messages over the MiiVerse?

47. Cobra951

@15:

Right. There is only one perfect frame rate, and that’s whatever fully synchronizes with the display device, which is almost universally 60 Hz now. For 3D, double that is required for the same perfection. Odd frame rates, even those higher than the hardware’s, are actually a step backward in fluidity and image stability (since you can’t vsync and display a higher frame rate than the display device can handle at the same time).

48. polygem

@#46: did in post #44. posted while you wrote yours probably.
    MiiVerse really is great. Lot´s of cool drawings and fun messages indeed.

cod: you can also pwn noobs much easier on wii u…i think acti should do the marketing for it exactly like that ;)

49. fearmonkey

You know, all the people that hate the Wii-u for it’s gimmicky controller are just going to love the next xbox, with its gimmicky super enhanced tablet controller. For the people that hate the Wii-u because its not really a next gen system, were you really expecting that to happen? Not since the days of the N64 has Nintendo cared about specs, its more about the experience. That didn’t serve them well for the gamecube, but it served them very well with the Wii. We shall see how the Wii-u fares keeping in with that tradition….I don’t own a Wii-u, and probably won’t own one (unless a true Mario64 style game comes out, but I don’t get the hate. Poly and OG love it but others want to trash it, I don’t get it. Play what you love, enjoy it, and give other things at least a chance.

Saint’s row: The third was like that for me, I avoided the game for a long time thinking that it was another GTA clone, and im not a huge fan of them. I bought it on a steam sale and relized what I have been missing, I love the game. I judged it before trying it myself and I learned that was a mistake, I could have missed out on a cool game.
    I say at least give the Wii-u a try, if its not your cup of tea fine, but bashing it constantly is just a waste of your time, go do something else.

If MS doesn’t release a new console next year I would be very surprised. Unless they have chosen to really up the specs (which might have happened since its Kryptos rather than Durango) then I cannot see them waiting that long. This generation is so long in the tooth now. I bought a 27inch monitor that plays 2560×1440, and it really brings out the low res and textures on Xbox games. Halo 4 is a beautiful game, but on that monitor its blurry and low res looking. Deus Ex:Human Revolution at 1440p is just amazing, the textures are so sharp and all the background objects look so real and crisp. I personally cannot wait for the next gen, if the specs leaked about the Xbox surface are near reality, and it can do 1440p, then Ill be a very happy camper.

50. OlderGamer

Good post fearmonkey.

51. Dragon246

@OG
    On vita, its just the right price and right hardware.I am sure vita is profitable, and they aren’t reducing the price because of the bigger restructuring thats going on, but that discussion is for another day. I will elaborate someday when I get time.

““MS and sony have done great this gen by not pursuing gimmicks like motion controls aggressively and only providing it as an alternative.”

Sony on the other hand. They developed a well working WiiMite clone with Move. I believe it out performed WiiMote. The trouble is, as Sony seems to often do, they didn’t market it the way they should. They made it, said “we can do that too” and did very little with it. One of the reasons I feel Vita as a second screen like WiiU GamePad is just lips service to fans, Sony won’t do much with that either.”

Read the logo on 360 games, it says “better with kinect”, not “kinect only”. Move games also show “move compatible” not move only. MS tries the shoehorn kinect is some games, but it remains completely optional, which is nice, unlike wii. Sony does the same thing with move.
    Kinect is definitely the best hardware to come out of this gen, although its greater use lies in fields outside of gaming.

” Most games I can play off of the TV Screen. That means I can let the wife watch Iron Chef on the Food Network, and I can play Madden13, Sonic racing, CoD Blops2, and almost everything I have thrown at it on the GamePad alone. No TV needed. That is awesome.”
    Handheld gaming anyone? A rather halfhearted attempt to make pad act as a handheld. I as with many other, prefer handheld gaming which has done the same things for decades and has no 10 feet range to work. Looks like future, except its the past.
    About madden, something similar was adopted by EA on vita for fifa, don’t know about madden, and what it only does is to remove the skill requirement.
    Most things pad does has 1 screen equivalents that have existed for years now, one example is pipboy in Fallout.
    Does pad improve some games? Surely. Nintyland is an example. Does it work for most games? Hell NO. That is why as a main interface for a console, its not good. I think this will be something that will be reflected in sales.
    The biggest reason why ms and sony don’t introduce new consoles is because 360 and ps3 still sell a ton. And about losses, I think sony gaming went into green somewhere in 2009. Not too bad.
    And what Clupula said. I agree to that.

Ninty consoles now only exist as a console for exclusives. If you are not interested in them, their consoles lose all their value. Both sony and ms are reacting well to the changing demographics, with both unifying this customer base and at the same time expanding upon it with new ventures. Ninty is still stuck in 80s, with just a handheld and console, both of which aren’t favored by 3rd party pubs. I doubt them staying in this dwindling business for long with the current strategy without diversifying, like ms and sony are doing.

52. polygem

…stuck in the 80′s…aha. you ignore as much stuff as possible again. there is a pro controller. if you are speaking of optional stuff you know. there are wiimotes too.the pro is a great controller. it feels much better than the dualshock to me and i love it for cod. i love handheld gaming as well, but you don’t get the point of the tablet yet again. i am sure you know, but you just ignore. you stream a full blown cod console game on the tablet while a friend uses the tv for something else. you can pause the game on the pad, post something on miiverse, chk your emails and jump back into cod mp on the pad. the pipboy comparisson only shows that you clearly do not understand what the wii u is about. and, if miiverse is the 80′s, what’s psn then…70′s? at least 70′s…

53. OlderGamer

Well Dragon, I will thank you for your thought out response. I just have to disagree with it man. I think, like Poly, that you don’t really understand the WiiU. Particuly the GamePad.

I get the Handheld analogy, and have thought that myself. But a handhald costs 170usd and 200usd for a 3DS and 250usd to 300usd for a Vita. The GamePad is included with the WiiU. It does do a lot of the functions of a modern day handheld. That is cool. But it goes way beyond that.

It dramaticly changes gaming, in a good way. I never got on board with Waggle/motion gaming. The number of games I enjoyed with Kinect, Move or WiiMotes where pretty small. What I did for Wii, was played those games that turned the WiiMote sidways and used it like a NES/SNES pad. There is often times slight motions like shaking or turning or twisting. But pointing at the screen and waving my arms? No thanks. Beyond Wii Sports type games, meh, ya know?

But there was a mega ton of choices that didn’t use the WiiMotes that way. The impact, imo, of waggle game was basicly to wow gamers and make an inital sale. For that it worked great. But I stuck around Wii gaming because of the great games, esp the more traditional ones.

WiiU GamePad isn’t like that. It has tremendious staying power. It can enhance very core game experiences. Not change it for the sake of doing something new, but really enhance the experience.

Nothing I can do to explain it. I think people either get it or they don’t. And the best way to understand it, is to experience it. Kind of a catch 22. You have to play it like it, and you have to like it to want to try it.

I am telling you it would be beer and Pizzia at OGs house for all of you folks if I could swing it.

54. Da Man

Good F grief.

Some of you draconian folks need a life, fast.