Sleeping Dogs sales aren’t “poor,” original projections “exceedingly high,” says Square

Tuesday, 11th December 2012 21:48 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sleeping Dogs sales have not been “poor”, according to Square Enix President, Yoichi Wada, who clarified the “sluggish” comments he made regarding the title back in October.

Speaking during a financial briefing this week, Wada said the firm may have had unreasonably high expectations for the game, as titles such as Sleeping Dogs tends to sell better over time in the west. In Japan, lifetimes sales are usually hit within one or two months on the market.

“At the announcement of forecast revisions last week, we talked about Sleeping Dogs as an example of a Western title that started out slow, which seemed to provoke misunderstandings that it was suffering poor sales,” Wada said.

“Let me clarify that SD is an exceptionally remarkable title that came with very high expectations and aggressive sales targets for the First Six-Month Period. Our goal might have been exceedingly high, which is what we see here in the difference in actual versus forecast sales.

“I am confident that SD would grow to be one of our ten strong IPs, and I am very optimistic for great results in lifetime sales. Just to reiterate, we expected greater revenues from SD in the First Six-Month Period, and what we are seeing now is simply the difference between actual and aggressive projections.”

Thanks, Siliconera.

1. Neuromancer

Fun game. I hope there is a sequel.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Takeshi

“I am confident that SD would grow to be one of our ten strong IPs.”

That’s awesome, but I think I’d like United Front Games to experiment a bit before taking on a second game. Of course unless they have some REALLY great ideas now or ones that needed to be cut from the first game. I just don’t want a sequel because SE want UFG to do it. They have to add stuff that a new game.

#2 1 year ago
  3. ps3fanboy

Sleeping Dogs is a good game no doubt about that but it don’t appeal to me one bit. to be honest the story and setting is a bit daft and nothing new. its like you watch yet again another steven seagal action movie, you know the story, nothing new. but with that said i hope this game do good for Square Enix. we need new ips after all…

#3 1 year ago
  4. fearmonkey

I’m generally not a huge fan of GTA style games, so I will pick this up sometime on steam when I can get it really cheap, and if I like it might buy the next game in the series.

#4 1 year ago
  5. KAP

Nothing new?!

So an open-world hong kong game has been done before?

An openworld game with an actual insane amazing gun play and melee play which (trust me) is really good too has been done before?

A game with an undercover cop whos an american-asian has been done in a game before?!

Trust me bro, Sleeping dogs is currently £15.99 on PSN, get it, you’ll really like how deep the city is and the way you chase people through cramped alley ways or doing parkour to capture them.. its really kool man.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Erthazus

@5, True Crime.

Everything that you described. Also, ” open-world hong kong game” true Crime had China town which was something close to what we have seen in Sleeping Dogs and it was open-world.

So no, nothing new. It was just a solid open world TPS.

#6 1 year ago
  7. JCDenton

‘Sqaure’? Never heard of them. ;)

#7 1 year ago
  8. Lounds

My game of the year, I love this game, I managed to rack up 10hours in 2 days and still carry on with my csgo addiction.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Clupula

The demo did absolutely nothing for me.

#9 1 year ago
  10. KAP

@6 Tell me one game this gen that is like Sleeping dogs? one?

I can tell you loads of games like Halo or COD but regardless tthey sell like billions of copies a year right?

Yet sleeping dogs has ONE game like it that was on PS2 and you call it nothing new?!

Yea because True Crime and Sleeping dogs is so comparable lol my god some people are so silly to the point of calling a game comparable because the two has asian characters, fuck me somebody help these people on here.

#10 1 year ago
  11. ps3fanboy

if you like the game its okay, its not a bad game but someone here mention ‘True Crime’ and i will mention ‘Shenmue’, i played both. with that said i have seen friends play it and they like it, i even have had a go at it… but it don’t appeal to me. if you like it i have no problem with, i say enjoy it bro.

#11 1 year ago
  12. DEADEYES

@Stephan: wrong typo in the title “Sqaure”!

#12 1 year ago
  13. starshop

The demo did absolutely nothing for me. @9 me too.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Stephany Nunneley

@12 Yeah I get worse as I get tired. Thanks for the heads up and being nice about it. Even if you did call me Stephan. ;)

#14 1 year ago
  15. Takeshi

Grand Theft Auto never really appealed to me. Yes, I’m half Vietnamese and half Danish. I think it’s actually a racist thing for me. I don’t get the games where there is a Russian protagonist or an American one. It’s just these open-world games really.

That’s where Sleeping Dogs came in and were really interesting since I generally like Asian stuff because of anime.

#15 1 year ago