Blizzard still exploring console options for Diablo 3

Tuesday, 11th December 2012 02:19 GMT By Naren Hooson

While Diablo 3 is running on unspecified consoles internally within Blizzard, it’s not ready to release any further information on console plans for the game.

Polygon was told by Blizzard excutive Rob Pardo that options are still being explored. “We’ve got builds up and running on it. We’re hoping to get it far enough along where we can make it an official project, but we’re not quite ready to release stuff about it, but it’s looking pretty cool.”

Jay Wilson, lead designer on Diablo 3, commented that Blizzard is still exploring console options to expand and add onto the game. “The whole team is essentially working on the next big Diablo thing, a lot of that stuff will show up next year at some point.”

Blizzard has also mentioned plans for an expansion for Diablo 3 but has not disclosed a date.

1. TristanMike

I’d rather Torchlight 2.

2. Telepathic.Geometry

I’d rather have both! Gimme gimme gimme…

3. GwynbleiddiuM

perhaps on the next-gen consoles.

4. Telepathic.Geometry

I’d accept that, as long as they have backwards compatibility with this gen. Otherwise I’m gonna spend a year or two playing every last worthwhile game I can find for my PS3 to death, platinuming every game until I can eventually move on to the PC era… Consoles need to get their BC shit sorted out.

5. The_Red

I honestly think a game like Diablo 3 could work on Wii U. The Wii U Gamepad could do wonders for this type of game. Of course it’s a new console and they may prefer one with a bigger install base but still.

6. ManuOtaku

If it is always connected to play singleplayer like it is on PC, then dont bother with a console version, thanks but no thanks.

7. OnionPowder

To anyone who hasn’t played: you’re not missing much.

8. OlderGamer

You guys are much further ahead hoping for Torchlight II. Diablo III wasn’t bad, but it didn’t live upto the games hype or legacy. On most top ten games of the year lists I have read this year Torchlight II is always higher then Diablo III. And I would have to agree with that after sinking countless hours into both. I still play Torchlight II, I stoped playing Diablo III long ago.

I know some folks might disagree with me, and that is ok.

As for WiiU, I am of the frame of mind at this point, that any game is better with that gamepad. Esp a game that has swapable skills and inventory and maps to think about, all great things to stick on a second screen. But I don’t think the WiiU has the horsepower to run DiabloIII, maybe Torchlight II tho. But I don’t think so. As a general rule guys PCs are way ahead of where the consoles are. Have been for a long time now. Three and four year old PCs are ahead of where next gen consoles will be when they launch. The worlds for both DIII and TLII are huge and there is a lot going on. Often times the screen is covered with baddies. Sometimes it feels like a bullethell experience, trying to weave your way around and thro mobs. I think you could stick both games on consoles, but you wouldn’t have the same intense experience.

Next gen is your best hope for playing those games on consoles, I think.