Metal Gear Solid watch: The Phantom Pain gets official screens

Monday, 10th December 2012 13:46 GMT By Dave Cook

The Phantom Pain was the mysterious ‘new’ game unveiled at the VGAs over the weekend. There is plenty of evidence to suggest that it’s actually either Metal Gear Solid 5 or Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes. We’ve analysed the reveal in full here to explain why we feel it’s Metal Gear-related. Supposed developer Moby Dick studios has published a set of HD screens from the game on its shady site. We’ve got them below. Enjoy.

Thanks OPM.

1. alimokrane

This is obviously a next gen title. What I would like to know is will te WiiU be able to pull this kind of graphics? I seriously doubt it.

2. monkeygourmet

Well, no probably not?!

Unless they do a scaled version, which a lot of engines are capable of.

If you want the ‘full experience’ for games like this, just get a PC. That’ll surpass even PS4 and 720.

3. KAP

This is NOT a next gen title, its been stated everywhere already.
    Not saying it shouldnt or couldnt be because imo the graphics are so insane I wouldnt be surprised if it was.

What if this isnt an MGS game though, that’ll have egg on the whole internets faces… I’d love to see that.

4. tr

on the mobydick website next to the trailer it says “All footage is shown running in real-time on hardware equivalent to current generation consoles (PS3 & XBOX360).”

so i think its current gen and kojima said that also for the “MGS Ground Zeroes”-Trailer (!?)

5. OnionPowder

@3 Yep, from the Joakim Mogren youtube channel:

6. Dave Cook

@3 Well, that’s sort of true. Ground Zeroes is a current-gen prologue to a next-gen project according to Kojima.

My guess is Ground Zeroes is a prelude to Metal Gear Solid 5. The Phantom Pain is from MGS 5 I’m guessing, seeing as the words ‘Metal Gear Solid 5′ slot into the title at the end. See my rumour round up to see what I mean :)

Yeah imagine if this was the biggest troll from Kojima ever :O

7. woe

Nest gen? i have seen better looking PS3 and Xbox 360 games than this.

8. Dave Cook

@7 It’s work in progress, obviously.

9. Erthazus

Interesting, what if Metal Gear Solid 5 next gen will be exclusive to PS4?

I think that would be a bomb and great strategy for Sony by making Ground zeroes multiplatform for additional PR. Everyone plays it, likes it and BOOM Sony’s E3 announcement.

Shock and Dave Cook will write a shitload of information and interviews about console exclusivity :D

10. Phoenixblight

You won’t see this game on PC just like all of Konami’s games this gen haven’t gone on the PC and the same goes for it being on Wii U.

11. Maximum Payne

@10 PES games are on PC and new Castlevania 2 will also be on PC.
    Since Ground Zeroes will be on xbox and it on new engine build from ground up to support new tech(a la Frostbyte 2, Crynengine 3)…I think there is chance for PC then.

12. Phoenixblight

Don’t use the engine as the reason why it will be PC. SIlent Hill DOwnpour was on the Unreal engine and it wasn’t on PC.

Not to mention that Konami’s PC games in the past have been the worst ports ever.

13. Belmont

HWell then,what I get out of all this is that Ground Zeroes is a prologue to MGS5 and this footage is from MGS5,right? if that is the case it brings a question,why have they revealed this thing now? won’t it take focus off GZ? and is there any chance we are seeing Solid Snake(after his rapid aging disease somehow stopped or reversed?
    Edit: another thing is,what about the hook instead of hand? I guess Kojima has just reached a new milestone in terms of making everyone puzzled !

14. CyberMarco

@10 Except for PES and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2

Edit* Maximum Payne got me :p

15. Dave Cook

@Erth

“Shock and Dave Cook will write a shitload of information and interviews about console exclusivity ”

Aye :P

16. tmac2011

“out of a phantom two sons are born” solid and liquids story, les efant terribly. im thinking this could be a game or even a prelude to MGS ground zero. or it could be MGS 5

17. Dave Cook

@16 Could be yeah, or could be a reference to Big Boss and Zero’s impending war between MSF and The Patriots.

18. Phoenixblight

You use a single series and a game that won’t be out until next year? Kojima hasn’t yet put a game on the PC so we’ll see.

19. CyberMarco

@18 I’m not expecting MGS to be on PC, I was just pointing out games that Konami has published on PC.

20. OnionPowder

@18 except for Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2.

Also Ground Zeroes was shown running on a PC and the FOX engine was built to be used on PC and consoles.

21. Phoenixblight

Those games came to mind when I said worst ports ever. Konami gives them to the cheapest studio ignoring the fact that the studios have never ported a game on the PC before.

22. OnionPowder

@21 but didn’t when you said he’s never released a PC game?

23. Phoenixblight

I was actually talking about about this gen when I made that comment.

24. OnionPowder

@23 Kojima has released 1 game this generation. Also when KojiPro was making Rising it was going to come to PC, but PC was dropped when Platinum took over.

25. Phoenixblight

You aren’t proving anything at least for the PC format if anything you are doing quite the opposite. For all we know the same thing will happen with Castlevania.

26. monkeygourmet

There’s a good chance it’ll be on PC if its multiplatform anyway.

If it was PS3 / 4 exclusive then obviously not, but multi platform stuff usually ends up on PC at some point.

It wouldn’t be the first MG title on PC, as I type I’m staring at my original MGS game for Windows 95.

27. Phoenixblight

None of their other multiplatform games besides PES has been on the PC even the MGS collection, ZOE, Silent Hill Downpour wasn’t either. Try try again. Multiplat just means on more than one system it doesn’t mean all of them.

28. monkeygourmet

Sorry to have upset you, oh wise nerd master.

To be honest I’m not really that fussed (you obviously seem quite upset about the notion of this happening).

Stranger things have happened though, especially with the amount of money games dev now costs, multiplatform helps maximise profit.

29. osric90

This is gonna rock my world. Viva la MGS forever.

30. Phoenixblight

I am not upset or “fussed” about it. I am just being realistic. People who build their hypes up that high and when they get the actual game then will get smacked in the face with the reality stick.

I am just trying to delay doing work right now. I am just posting my opinion sorry that it disagrees with you.

31. Ireland Michael

Looks like there’s gonna be plenty more sermonising about the futility of war, blah blah blah, shortly before we break people’s necks and blow shit up. Camera angles tell me the game is going to be just as cumbersome and awkward as every previous MGS title.

32. Phoenixblight

I thought the same thing when I saw it. Great another MGS with lots of cut scenes and very little gameplay.

33. bitsnark

“Looks like there’s gonna be plenty more sermonising about the futility of war, blah blah blah, shortly before we break people’s necks and blow shit up.”

Apologies, but nearly broke a rib laughing at that! Nothing wrong with what you said or anything, just the way you drew attention to the irony of it all :)

34. deathm00n

I don’t see why all the hate towards Metal Gear, sure, I only played MGS3, but I think it’s side by side with Shadow of the Colossus and Persona 4 as the best games of PS2. Even playing only 3 I lost myself within the lore, it’s incredible how they can make everything connect within this large timespan. And I don’t think there’s lot of cut-scenes, it’s the right amount for me.

35. Phoenixblight

Play the other games especially the last one. 4-5 hours of gameplay topped with 6-8 hours of cutscenes.

36. Ireland Michael

@33 Indeed. Hahaha.

@34 I don’t hate Metal Gear Solid. I’ve played every single game in the series from start to finish. But I’m not going to call a pink elephant a zebra.

“it’s incredible how they can make everything connect within this large timespan.”

He didn’t. He made it up as he went along. He’s pretty much admitted to the fact himself.

MGS3 is probably the best title of the series, so you’re lucky you choose that one. It does some things a lot better than the rest of the series. Comparatively speaking it’s probably the most gameplay heavy and least and cutscene intensive games of the main titles. 1, 2 and 4 just took the biscuit though.

37. Dragon246

+1. Story is paramount to me. Except mgs2, which went a bit loony in the end, I enjoyed all mgs games. Not to mention the “solid” stealth gameplay too.
    Although even if it was just cutscenes I would have satisfied. Has anyone read mgs graphic novels? Real ace imo.

38. woe

@Dave Cook: It had want to be, because of right now it is looking like crap.

39. Joe Musashi

MGS2 has its strengths but they’re well hidden. One aspect that I didn’t appreciate at the time was the reasoning for not having Snake as the game’s protagonist. The game goes on about not having to follow your genes. Not following a pre-determined destiny. Not being the same as the generation before. And MGS2 illustrates this by making you Raiden instead of Snake.

I have to say that I was so disappointed at not being Snake that this take on things completely went over my head. I think Kojima’s stuff is amazing and that his is a true auteur of this medium. However, I think he seriously underestimated people’s fondness for the character of Snake with MGS2.

But there’s few games I can think of that I’d go back to a re-evaluate the reasons for what they do and how they do it. For the most part games simply aren’t that mature or nuanced enough to pull that off.

Also, y’know, robot ninjas ‘n shit.

JM

40. YoungZer0

If i remember correctly, Hideo decided to use Raiden as the protagonist to show off Snakes character. And he succeed, i think. He seemed much smarter and much more competent than in all the other games combined.

“That’s a SOCOM.”
    “A SOCOM?!”

“WHAT IS THAT?!”

“WHAT THE HELL WAS THIS?!”

“LIQUID?!”

“GREY FOX?!”

“METAL GEAR?!”

“NANOMACHINES?!”

“VAMP?!”

“NAOMI?!”

“S.O.P.?!”

“CQC?!”

41. Kira97

According to Kotaku, these screen shots have hidden messages. Look at link below…Guess what each picture spells http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/1880ua2vx8ye6jpg/original.jpg