Linux requirements appear for some Steam games

Monday, 10th December 2012 03:31 GMT By Naren Hooson

Some game pages have been updated on Steam by Valve to include Linux system requirements, perhaps hinting that an official Steam for Linux launch is approaching.

Joystiq reports that Steam have added over 30 standard and Greenlight games that run on Linux.

Valve founder Gabe Newell recently commented that Valve is looking into ways PC’s can work in living rooms due to Big Picture mode receiving bigger than anticipated interest. A Steam box system would obviously require an OS, with Linux possibly being an ideal option.

1. noherczeg

GO GO Steam! :)

#1 1 year ago
  2. FabioPal

I was sceptic at the beginning, but this actually is a good way of reaching out to all the truly multiplatform games (check Kickstarter, 80% of them are Win/Mac/Linux).

#2 1 year ago
  3. Lord Gremlin

Well, looks like Windows 7 will be the last Windows worth using, so Gabe’s just getting ready for far future.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Christopher Jack

I hear they maybe limiting their future Steam PCs. I’d like to know how. I like the ability to install all my fav programs without restriction & upgrade my hardware with ease.

#4 1 year ago
  5. roadkill

:D

#5 1 year ago
  6. FabioPal

@3@4 They would be CRAZY letting the Windows market go. Not in the near future at least.

#6 1 year ago
  7. The Auracle

I still think this is an overreaction to Microsoft’s introduction of the Windows Store. It doesn’t supersede anything; it’s merely an option within the OS itself. You’re not forced to use it of you don’t want to in Windows 8. Anyone that’s actually used it would be able to attest to that fact.

One of the things I first tested on Windows 8 back when the Consumer Preview launched was Steam. It worked without a single snag.

Still, it’s good that Linux is finally getting some love from Valve.

#7 1 year ago