Ex-Mafia devs show off next-gen RPG engine, game due 2014/15

Monday, 10th December 2012 09:26 GMT By Dave Cook

Former Mafia developer Daniel Vavra has showcased the next-gen engine for his unannounced Medieval RPG, currently in production at his new outfit Worhorse Studios. See it in action below, it’s like if Skyrim were made for Xbox 720, or a seriously kitted-out PC.

Eurogamer reports – via Eurogamer.cz – that the above footage was made using a modified version of CryEngine 3, and that Vavra has been studying Medieval festivals to help in his research for the title.

Here’s another clip:

What do you think? Is this looking tasty, or is it no surprise to those with mega PC rigs? Let us know below.

1. sonny

No need to look at a real tree anymore. It’s all in there…

2. Lord Gremlin

Looks nice. I’d love to see something like this on next Playstation.

3. Dave Cook

@1 Yeah, I’m not a fan of photo-realism. Visuals are the least important element of a game to me. If the gameplay is busted and the plot doesn’t grab me than I’m disengaged to the point of no return.

However, a game with slick gameplay and a gripping plot could be 8-bit for all I care and I’d still love it. Plus, I like visually abstract experiences like Killer7 or El Shaddai over photo-real visuals.

That’s just me though ;)

4. KAP

Its true, I’d rather true interactivity now, then just nice looking graphics, its all fine and dandy showing a ultra realistic village like this one, but not being able to burn/pillage/rest in/lean on/customise.. basically effect it in anyway we please.

I already know 720/PS4 will be no different to this gen, just prettier graphics.

for RAM, more interactivity I say.

5. Francis O

Dave, you speak the truth. I need to see how a game plays, not how it looks. This is cool and all, but I think its safe to say we wont be seeing the leap in graphics from the PS2 to PS3.

6. Kabby

The demo’d area is tiny. The textures are not particularly high resolution. There are no animated characters in the scene. There are no dynamic light sources either, which is not a big deal but still.

It looks good for someones ‘Look what I built with Crytek tools’ demo reel but it’s not really demonstrating anything to get excited about.