Dark Souls 2 will be more “understandable” without being easier

Monday, 10th December 2012 16:44 GMT By Dave Cook

Dark Souls 2 was the big surprise announcement at this year’s VGA awards last night. If you missed the trailer, you can catch up here. The game’s directors at FROM Software have confirmed that the game will be more understandable, but not any easier as a result. get the scant quote below.

Speaking with Edge – via Shacknews – it was confirmed that Dark Souls 2 would be developed under the keen eyes of co-directors Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura.

Shibuya said on the matter of the game’s ambiguity, “I personally am the sort of person who likes to be more direct than subtle. [Dark Souls 2] will be more straightforward and more understandable.”

However he added that this wouldn’t result in the game being any easier. That’s it. Not the biggest quote ever, but we haven’t got a copy of the magazine yet.

However, what do you feel about the team making Dark Souls 2 more understandable? Does it undermine the trial and error exploration of the original? Let us know below?

1. YoungZer0

“Does it undermine the trial and error exploration of the original?”

Screw that. Seriously. I enjoyed Dark Souls way more when i actually understood what the hell i was doing. They didn’t just hide secrets from you, but basic gameplay mechanics. There is difficulty and then there is screwing with the player. Demon Souls was way better at this.

Also: They need to improve everything about the first game. From the framerate, to the graphics, to gameplay, to the animations, to the storytelling, to the sound, to the art-direction and the music.

EVERYTHING.

The trailer looks absolutely amazing (My favorite from the VGA’s) and i already know that the final game will look nothing like it.

The graphics and the storytelling are the ones they really need to improve upon. The lore of Dark Souls is just insanely awesome, but if you don’t read on some wiki about it, you wouldn’t know. Cryptic dialogs and a cryptic opening is all you get. Also the ending was pretty shite.

The Art-direction also needs to be much more consistent. Really? Monster-Shells and Mushroom Families? REALLY?! Overall it should be much more frightening. Not just ugly or stupid.

Sidenote: Did anyone notice that there is not a single bonfire in the trailer? The voice-over was talking about darkness with no light. Did the age of darkness begin?

#1 1 year ago
  2. YoungZer0

#2 1 year ago
  3. The_Red

I don’t know. With all these talk about being a “bit more understandable” “a bit more accessible” and stuff like that, I AM kinda worried. Then again, I was worried about Dark Souls becoming dumbed down compared to Demon’s Souls and thankfully it wasn’t (I still prefer Demons but Dark is a solid game).

#3 1 year ago
  4. Rafa_L

@1 What kind of gameplay mechanics were hidden?

No CGI trailer ever demonstrate the graphic quality of the game.

I like the art-direction. But i agree that graphics and storytelling are the aspects of the game with more room for improvement.

#4 1 year ago
  5. TheWulf

I can’t help but agree with #1.

It’s not a decrease in difficulty I want. I love difficulty. I just don’t want to be retreading old ground every time I die because the game pulled a dick move. If you want to see how you do difficulty right, see VVVVVV and cloners.

#5 1 year ago
  6. OnionPowder

Dark Souls isn’t that difficult. Retracing your steps adds to the tension and makes things like Shortcuts so much more enjoyable and rewarding. We don’t need a damn auto checkpoint system. Better explanation of the online system would be preferred as the system isn’t explained upon at all during the game.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Erthazus

Trailer was amazing, but it is nothing like Dark Souls. It’s more mainstream.

#7 1 year ago
  8. OnionPowder

@8 it’s just a teaser. Considering the hero died twice in the video it seems to match Dark Souls pretty well.

Dark Souls 1 had some pretty mainstream advertising at points:

#8 1 year ago
  9. HighWindXIX

I think that quote makes perfect sense. Dark Souls had a story, but I doubt anyone could tell you what was going on without resorting to a Wiki. Plus there was little to no indication of where to go often. Improve those two things won’t make the game easier while still making it more accessible.

#9 1 year ago
  10. DrDamn

I like the lack of knowing in the Souls games. It’s part of what makes them what they are. I like the sense of discovery and the discussions around the games on forums and with friends. So no I don’t like the sound of this. I understand why some might want it, but for me it would diminish a major part of the game for me.

#10 1 year ago
  11. absolutezero

I swear to God if they add in some sort of mandatory tutorial I will end someone.

Dark Souls is an almost perfect game as it is, creating a follow-up will NOT besmirtch its virtues.

I hope they make it ever more opaque and vague in almost every department one of the best aspects of the Souls titles has been the sense of community and shared knowledge and understanding the entire thing brings about. Theres very very little else like it.

#11 1 year ago
  12. YoungZer0

Anyway, i don’t expect the game to look anything like the teaser, especially because From Software isn’t a company that usually reinvents itself. One look at the Armored Core series is all you need.

#12 1 year ago
  13. absolutezero

and yet Dark Souls looked alot like its intro video and alot like its concept artwork taken from the Design works book.

#13 1 year ago
  14. YoungZer0

Both look pretty shite.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Telepathic.Geometry

I think I’ve already said it on here somewhere, but I’d like them to make it possible to discover everything for yourself somehow if possible. Demon’s Souls was really good at this. You could hear phosphorescent pole dude roaring somewhere, you heard that there was a damsel in distress in a tower to the east, you were told by Patches that there’s probably tonnes of awesome loot in the swamp dropped by (and then he lists off a few famous heroes names)…

By contrast, I think that without consulting a wiki or asking someone who has checked the wiki, your chances of meeting Kaathe are pretty fucking low. Maybe even zero for the typical gamer, regardless of how much your adventuring spirit takes you off to strange places.

If they’re talking about fixing unnecessarily obtuse shit like that, then I can rest easy.

#15 1 year ago
  16. absolutezero

You are never meant to meet Kaathe during your first playthrough though. Its entirely possible because thats the philosophy of the series. I love that theres so much stuff just rammed in for NG+. Killing O or S first, all the covenants. It would be so sad if they started sign posting stuff like where Siegmeyer is going to be next. Or your Pyromancy hand is now +10 please go directly to Blighttown theres someone that would like to meet you.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Telepathic.Geometry

Not meeting him on your first playthrough is fine by me, but considering he is the only one who can explain what the dark soul is and who you are, there should be some character who can give you just a hint. “Beware Frampt, he will seal your fate!” even would do.

Say for example the only way you could get to see Kaathe were to play while holding the useless pendant even, I’d accept it. The way it is now though is, you don’t talk to Frampt and you don’t place the Lord Vessel to talk to him right? How would anyone think of that naturally?

Again, to re-iterate, no signposts wanted, just the vaguest of hints that talking to Frampt seals your fate…

#17 1 year ago
  18. ryan.schoon

They need to make it more understandable, that is for sure. I consider myself a fairly talented gamer, which I don’t feel the need to prove to you but could if challenged, and yet I put down Demon Souls and Dark Souls both after a few hours because I was getting so frustrated. I just didn’t know what the POINT was, you know? I felt like I had no objective. I don’t need to be hand-held or shown the way like with most linear games nowadays but at least some idea of what I’m supposed to be heading TOWARDS? I felt like those games threw me into the deep end of the ocean and when I came back up I had no idea what direction the shore was.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Telepathic.Geometry

I think 90% of that from DS games is down to the constant training we have from other games, if you don’t where to go or what to do, you check your logbook, or look at the waypoint on your map etc. Dark Souls just has a huge destroyed city with ghosts in it sitting there, and an underground catacombs, and an ancient forest, and a volcanic wasteland, and it seems like we nowadays need an engraved invitation to go there…

#19 1 year ago
  20. ryan.schoon

Its not even that necessarily. Its like, “Oh you keep dying? You can’t get past this part?” Oh that’s because you didn’t get that special armor, which you get from going down that path that looks blocked but really will open if you have a special key that you only get from trading in an item for another item to that one shopkeeper who only appears on the second full moon of the year, in which you have to speak a special password for him to even talk to you, and that password you can only find written on the wall of a jail cell in a prison that you wouldn’t know was there unless you happened to go through the prison door while in the castle.

Its the kind of thing where, without a strategy guide, you never have any idea how to do anything. Even the most experienced gamers will miss out on tons of exciting events just because they’re too complicated.

#20 1 year ago
  21. DrDamn

@ryan.schoon
    All of your points, that’s what makes them brilliant games to me. It’s fantastic in part because of these things. Horses for courses, but there are plenty of other games out there that do things the other way.

#21 1 year ago
  22. absolutezero

All the other games do things the other way.

Now it seems the one that does not needs to be exactly the same because some people may feel excluded.

#22 1 year ago
  23. feedback_302

I personally love how vague Dark Souls is. It forces you to really go out and discover what stuff in that game is all about. Once you’re out of the Asylum, you’re thrown in the deep end of shit pool with probably 10 different directions to start exploring. You do feel lost, with no spoon-fed direction which is something I absolutely love. If you’re patient and currious enough to actually talk to the NPC’s, or READ the descriptions of the items you find, you get emersed in the experience of actually finding shit out on you’re own. Can the game royally screw you over with an overdose of surprise buttsex? No doubt about it! But then it’s about learning from your mistakes and attempting a different approach to the same scenario. The game mechanics are basic and relatively easy and in my oppinion that makes them fun; how consistantly can you riposte, dodge, block, backstab?

Now I agree that somethings are a much harder to discover on your own (sometimes damn near impossible) like where a boss’s armor set will appear after killing them. Some of that stuff i wouldn’t never known without youtube and the wiki. Some of the lore I would’ve have been able to keep track of without watching some of youtube user “epicnamebro”‘s videos amongst others. But there’s still a benefit to discovering that stuff on your own if you’d just listen to the NPC’s for a while and read the descriptions of some of the items.

As for Dark Souls II…basically I just don’t want some floating triangle/exclamation point/arrow spoon-feeding me a direction on where to go nor do I want some cliche tutorial obstacle course that’s been done to death on so many other games. And having typical NPC’s explain a vast majority of the lore/objectives to me is a complete and utter “No-No!!”. If Dark Souls II becomes Rift II, From Software can go fuck themselves. Let’s try to keep the value of true game-expoloration alive shall we?

#23 1 year ago