Black Ops 2 gun balancing explained: “Math + Feedback = Tuning”

Monday, 10th December 2012 11:42 GMT By Dave Cook

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2′s multiplayer wizard David Vonderhaar has given insight into Treyarch’s gun balancing process, essentially stating that player feedback doesn’t really matter all that much, but that cold, hard maths is the answer to solid balance. Get more details below.

Vonderhaar took to Twitter to discuss balancing with fans. Here’s the daisy-chain of Tweets regarding the subject:

Vonderhaar’s discussion comes following Treyarch’s most recent Black Ops 2 patch, which addressed a slew of balancing issues.

Thanks OXM.

1. Fin

Metrics are everything.

2. CPC_RedDawn

The game is a complete mess!! BO2 I had high hopes for you being the first COD to actually consider making some changes rather than copy and paste like the years before. Instead you have way over powered SMG’s and Shotguns, weak a shit assault rifles and boring ones at that, rubbish kill streaks, and boring cluster fuck maps!! Get your shit together and pack up because COD is now officially dead!

3. G1GAHURTZ

Why don’t they just stop messing with the game?

So just because lots of people use SMGs, they have to be nerfed??

How stupid is that?? They want a game where everyone uses a different weapon!?

‘Oooh, not enough people are using LMGs, so we’re going to nerf a completely different type of weapon…’

Pffffffft…

Dear Respawn, please hurry up.

4. ManuOtaku

I think the SMG are good at close/short range combat, not that good for mid-long distances, they are fine the way they are, i think thats how they are in real life, i find all the weapons great, even the starting line up for every type of gun; they are really great and dont feel underpowered for the later ones: Iam using the scar by the way, and i find it really great, the assault rifles all are good, especially the first one, i dont have any complains, i think the game is fine the way it is IMO, very balanced.

5. MadFlavour

Treyarch logic:

Observation: Too many people are only using SMG’s.

Hypothesis: The SMG’s must be over powered.

Solution: We must nerf them.

My logic:

Observation: Too many people are only using SMG’s.

Hypothesis: The other weapons must suck.

Solution: Beef up the other weapons.

What the fuck do I know though. Maybe gimping the only weapons people like is the way to go, rather than trying to make them like the other weapons.

6. ManuOtaku

^ i think this goes in line with the old saying the customer is always right, this is a notion that most of the time is not the proper or right one, as a customer i prefer if iam wrong with my choices, the vendor in this case developer, tell me what is good for me based on all the info the vendor has on the product, rather than giving me you are always right, so lets do it how you say, the we need to please you mindset, but well this is an old notion that became quite a paradigm in the service business world, and gaming is not excent of this.

7. G1GAHURTZ

^ Don’t believe Vonderhaar’s lies.

If he was legit with his claims of stats backing him up, he would nerf quickscoping.

It’s all gibberish. My feeling is that he just wants to mess with things just to keep himself feeling important.

He’s all like: ‘Oh, look at me! I’m the only one who changes things in this game! It’s all down to me! I’m using maths, so I’m right and you’re proven wrong by the numbers! I’ll keep doing this again to balance this incredibly unbalanced game that would be nowhere without me! Blah, blah, blah…’

People have already spent hundreds of hours using SMGs, and gotten used to them. So what does that mean? It means people like using SMGs!

So what!?

Why is that bad?

Do the ARs feel sad and lonely?

It’s stupid, because it’s like he’s trying to make the game more ‘balanced’ by making all the weapons unappealing.

People are using SMGs? Nerf ‘em.

People are using Bouncing Bettys? Nerf ‘em.

People are using concussion grenades? Nerf ‘em.

Sure, maybe he’s got the data, but he’s not using it properly. He’s coming across like someone who doesn’t even play the game.

8. cyberrblob

Put Hardcore FFA back on douche’s

plz

9. OrbitMonkey

Has as already been said, stop nerfing guns, make the other weapons better!

Though tbh, the SMG’s still rule the roost :-)

10. ManuOtaku

#10 orbit man it has been ages since i see you comment here, nice to know you are safe and good, really nice.

11. cyberrblob