VGAs 2012: winners announced, get all the news here

Friday, 7th December 2012 22:08 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

It’s that time of year again: December. When the nights are colder than your ex’s heart, and Spike TV broadcasts its Video Game Awards Show.

VGA 2012 Headlines and videos

The Last of Us release date announced as May 7

Dark Souls 2 announced at VGAs

The Phantom Pain announced, may be a new Metal Gear Game

Halo 4: Spartan Ops returns in January

South Park: The Stick of Truth VGA trailer introduces the new kid

Tomb Raider – video

BioShock Infinite – video

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 – video

Gears of War Judgement – video

Assassins Creed 3: The Tyranny of King Washington – video

Metro: Last Light – live action video

It’s a night when A-Z list celebrities take the stage alongside video game luminaries; where exclusive video game videos are shown, and sometimes a new game is announced. Tonight, two games were revealed: The Phantom Pain from Moby Dick Studios – a game many on the Internet suspect has ties to Hideo Kojima; and Dark Souls 2.

A new live-action trailer for Metro: Last Light was shown during the first commercial break, and debut videos for Halo 4: Spartan Ops, The Last of Us, Tomb Raider, and more where shown.

The Last of Us was also given a May 7 release date, and the Spartan Ops missions for Halo 4 will start back up in January.

Samuel L Jackson hosted the show, and his pixilated self was tossed into various video games such as Mass Effect 3, Minecraft, Angry Birds Star Wars, Black Ops 2 and more.

Gabe Newell and 16 members of Valve took the stage to accept the Game of the Decade Award for Half Life 2, and Ken Levine introduced the new BioShock Infinite Video.

Gearbox won Best Shooter for Borderlands 2, and Claptrap won Best Video Game Character.

Dishonored won for Best Action/Adventure title, and The Walking Dead won for Best Adapted Video Game, Telltale for Best Studio, Best Performance by a Female Actress, Best Downloadable Game, and the coveted Game of the Year Award.

Musical guests were Linkin Park, and Tenacious D closed the show out, singing their song “Rize of the Fenix” and at the end, a giant inflatable dong appeared. We’re not lying.

Here’s the full list of winners for the 2012 Video Game Awards:

• Game of the Year: The Walking Dead: The Game (Telltale Games)
  • Studio of the Year: Telltale Games
  • Best XBOX 360 Game: Halo 4 (Microsoft Studios/343 Industries)
  • Best PS3 Game: Journey (Sony Computer Entertainment/thatgamecompany)
  • Best Wii / Wii-U Game: New Super Mario Bros. U (Nintendo)
  • Best PC Game: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2K Games/Firaxis Games)
  • Best Handheld / Mobile Game: Sound Shapes (Sony Computer Entertainment/Queasy Games)
  • Best Shooter: Borderlands 2 (2K Games/Gearbox Software)
  • Best Action Adventure GameB: Dishonored (Bethesda Softworks/Arkane Studios)
  • Best RPG: Mass Effect 3 (Electronic Arts/BioWare)
  • Best Multi-Player Game: Borderlands 2 (2K Games/Gearbox Software)
  • Best Individual Sports Game: SSX (Electronic Arts/EA Canada)
  • Best Team Sports Game: NBA 2K13 (2K Sports/Visual Concepts)
  • Best Driving Game: Need For Speed Most Wanted (Electronic Arts/Criterion Games)
  • Best Fighting Game: Persona 4 Arena (Atlus/ARC System Works/Atlus)
  • Best Adapted Video Game: The Walking Dead: The Game (Telltale Games)
  • Best Independent Game: Journey (thatgamecompany)
  • Best Graphics: Halo 4 (Microsoft Studios/343 Industries)
  • Best Song in a Game: “Cities” by Beck (Sound Shapes)
  • Best Original Score: Journey (Sony Computer Entertainment/thatgamecompany)
  • Best Performance By a Human Male: Dameon Clarke as Handsome Jack (Borderlands 2)
  • Best Performance By a Human Female: Melissa Hutchison as Clementine (The Walking Dead: The Game)
  • Best Downloadable Game: The Walking Dead: The Game (Telltale Games)
  • Best Social Game: You Don’t Know Jack (Jellyvision Games)
  • Best DLC: Dawnguard – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks/Bethesda Game Studios)
  • Most Anticipated Game: Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar Games)

Nominees for the awards show were determined by the VGA Advisory Council, made up game journalists from: Entertainment Weekly, Game Informer, Joystiq, Kotaku, Polygon, IGN, GameTrailers, Gamespot, Wired.com, USA Today and The Associated Press.

1. Mike W

Yea I just want to see the trailers and announcements (if they have any). The last two VGAs I watched were God awful.

2. Deacon

when does the show start, GMT?

3. Hunam

I’m sure this will be a pile of shit so I’m going to bed.

4. Stephany Nunneley

@2 VGAs start at 1am UK (preshow) and the Awards start at 2am UK. Go to TV & Movies on your XBL dash if you want to watch.

5. Dragon246

Just woke up to watch this. Better be good!
    Despite what some say, I like this show. Its good entertainment!

It would be amazing if ANYTHING regarding next-gen shows up :)

6. Stephany Nunneley

Ink Master with Dave Navarro is on right now. He is such a douche.

Anyway, the VGAs go off in 30 minutes and will last two hours. Pray for me.

Also, I will post any videos that go live as fast as I can find them – if you see them before I do, just stick the link in here and I will love you forever. ;)

7. Dragon246

Journey won the best original score and halo4 best graphics and best 360 game.

8. Stephany Nunneley

@7 Yeah, that all happened during the pre-show. We’ll do a post on the winners once the show ends. I’ll tweet the main ones out from the show once it starts.

9. Dragon246

@Steph
    Needed a bit of help, do you have a link for low-res version (240p something) of vga 2012? My connection is shuttering even with 400kbps stream.

10. Stephany Nunneley

Is it showing for you online?

11. Dragon246

Showing online on GT, yeah. Able to watch it without buffering, no.

12. Stephany Nunneley

Try Spike instead: http://www.spike.com/events/video-game-awards/

13. DSB

I think you’re onto some grade A headline material there Steph.

“Dave Navarro is a douche; Watch VGAs 30 minutes from now”

Perfecto!

14. Stephany Nunneley

@13 :D

15. Dragon246

Still sucks for me, will be waiting for youtube video later today.
    Although thanks Steph!

TLOU 7th May 2012!!!

16. Stephany Nunneley

I will add all official trailers in when I get them via email. Until then, Wrecked Pixel’s YT channel has been a Godsend. I’ll also fill the posts out once all is over and done with – as per usual. :)

17. Clupula

I’m waiting out the Linkin Park performance. I don’t need to expose my ears to that.

18. Stephany Nunneley

Yep Viacom is all over every one’s ass who has posted the videos on You Tube. I will replace them when I can. Please stand by.

19. Talkar

Wait.. How the hell did HL2 win game of the decade? The game was mediocre at best IMO…

20. Yoshi

It actually sounds like they properly thought of the game of the year stuff this time. I mean seriously Walking Dead wins GOTY who would have gussed that seriously.

21. Stephany Nunneley

So the best part of the night was the massive, inflatable dong that popped up behind Tenacious D at the end. No joke. A giant dong.

22. Dragon246

Considering how I wont be able to play much for the next 6 months due to some very big arrangements, I will probably end up with a 2 year worth of backlog.
    2013 looks really nice. Although Dark Souls 2 may well be a 2014 game.

23. Christopher Jack

Best graphics, Halo 4? Have these voters not played any recent PC game? It’s a tolerable looking game otherwise I would not have stomached the time to make it to lvl 23, but it’s not even the best looking console game out.

Sure at first you may think the unreachable backgrounds look pretty, but after moving around for a bit you quickly realize it’s the same cheap wallpaper effect they’ve been using for quite some time.

(Sorry Erthazus, beat you to it)

24. roadkill

Guild Wars 2 won nothing! :(

25. manamana

Bravo! The Walking Dead very well deserves GOTY.

26. CyberMarco

Half-Life 2 game of the Decade, what a joke!

27. The_Red

Why so much negativity towards HL2? Last time I checked, it was considered to be one of the best games of all time… and it IS a superb game. Maybe not my choice but still, pretty damn awesome.

28. CyberMarco

@27 Yeah could be, but not compared to those games!

29. Jagga

The VGAs were terrible this year! So much so I can’t even sleep… The Walking Dead The Game wins GOTY?! What does that game total? About 12-13hrs tops?! 6 categories this year and most of them were either cheapened with the competition put in that category or simply nonexistent. Samuel L. Jackson was the only good thing about the 2012 VGAs IMO…

30. polygem

H2 is one of the best games this gen 4 sure. that ‘game of the decade’ award is really tough to pick. H2 is a reasonable choice.

31. The_Red

Compared to what? All of those are great games. Outside the Wii Sports (A terribly mediocre game) I think one could make a strong case for all other choices, including HL2.

Sure, they differ from our personal choices. Mine are Demon’s Souls, Shadow of the Colossus and Psychonauts but it doesn’t mean HL2 was a bad choice IMHO. Now if something like Halo3, GTA4 or Uncharted 2 had won, then I would have gotten angry (Thankfully they weren’t nominated).

32. Edo

Yay for Dishonored for winning best action adventure game,also Half-Life 2 game of the decade no surprise…..Gabe…dude,it was a perfect opportunity to do you know what…….

33. GwynbleiddiuM

@29 The only disappointing fact about TWD was the episodic nature and 3 months gap between each episode, other than that it was one the best games this year.

@32 Perfect opportunity, but Kojima stole the show.

34. Sylrissa

One of the better VGA’s I’ve seen, good to see some well deserved games winning awards.

Though I wasn’t expecting to see TWD to win game of the year, congratulations to Telltale games!.

35. stevenhiggster

I personally fully agree with HL2 being game of the decade. It is infact my favourite game of all time ever! People talk of it being a “this gen” game, remember HL2 actually came out long before current gen consoles and at that point in time it stood head and shoulders above anything else and it still holds its head high today.

In other news, I’d have to say I mostly agree with the winners, there are a few wtf’s on there but over all the list ain’t too bad. Don’t agree at all with the over all GOTY though. Just my opinion though.

36. Erthazus

HL2 is indeed game of the decade. Who disagree’s is a console gamer who never touched in the year when it came out.

HL2 came out before this generation of consoles for your information and it is still looks to this date as a current gen game and there are design choices that no one did better then Valve so far in FPS genre.

37. Edo

@33 Kojima stole the show and also beat Valve at trolling.

38. GwynbleiddiuM

Brace yourselves, Half-Life hate-crew are coming.

@37 true dat :D

39. absolutezero

I managed to stay up until The Last of Us trailer then I just could not take anymore. I think if I cringed any harder my neck would break.

This is out great awards ceremony people. Sponsored out its ass and presented by people that have no idea what they are talking about.

40. Kabby

HL2 was good but I’d be hesitant to call it game of the decade.

41. Erthazus

I still don’t understand why you need to announce MGS5 if MGS: Ground Zeroes is not out and even reveangence?

Isn’t it too soon? I don’t understand that announcement. I don’t see the logic here at all.

+ Next Gen systems are coming soon with next gen games.

I don’t understand this announcement and I still believe that it is not MGS5. I still believe that this is Metal gear Solid: Ground Zeroes or something else with Metal Gear brand. Something completely new that has nothing to do with stealth.

I don’t understand this shit. Kojima is nuts.

42. osric90

What? The Walking Dead: The Game? I hope it comes out as a Blu-ray, complete then. You woke up my curiosity. Mass Effect 3 is EVERYTHING to me this year though.

43. vicrysty

Sorry for ac III would have deserved an award, even for Best Action Adventure Game.

44. alisarv

This time, it was a fair result.

45. ManuOtaku

Oh the irony of the Best DLC award, a DLC that is not available on all consoles, for the rest iam good, well with the exception of best Wii/WiiU game, it should have been xenoblade IMHO.