Nintendo Europe blocking 18+ Wii U content until 11pm

Friday, 7th December 2012 15:19 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Nintendo is blocking Wii U content in Europe which is rated 18+, regardless of how users have set up the console’s parental controls.

According to a post on NeoGAF, and confirmed by Eurogamer, any 18-rated games available on the system for purchase are only able to be viewed or downloaded from 11pm – 3am.

When the GAF user contacted Nintendo Italy customer service on the matter, he was met with the following reply:

“Dear customer, we would like to let you know that Nintendo has always aimed to offer gameplay experiences suited to all age groups, observing carefully all the relevant regulations regarding content access that are present in the various European countries.

“We have thus decided to restrict the access to content which is unsuitable to minors (PEGI) to the 11pm – 3am time window.”

Eurogamer tested the claim, and found it was unable to digitally purchase or view information pertaining to Assassin’s Creed 3 or ZombiU.

“You cannot view this content,” a message read. “The times during which this content can be viewed have been restricted.”

Of course, the same cannot be said for Xbox 360 or PS3, as users can view any and all content at any time of the day unless parental settings are in place.

We don’t own a Wii U, so we are unable to test if this is also the case in North America, so we’ll send a mail and ask.

In the US, content is governed by the FCC, which prohibits airing “indecent” material over the air between 6am- 10pm. Premium cable channels, such as HBO, Showtime, etc., are exempt.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Oh dear…

2. absolutezero

That is bizarre.

Really really stupid. Mine is sitting on right now, I’ll test it :

Yep just checked the ZombiU page on the eShop and it just opens a pop-up with the mentioned text. How fucking weird.

Im off to draw a penis on the Miiverse in protest.

3. Old MacDonald

How does Ubisoft feel about this? Can’t be great for business.

4. SnowyFack

i’m an european over 18 user. we can’t view rated 18+ contents untill 11 unfortunately, like zombiu video and so on. Nintendo is very restrictive respect these things.

5. Arnvidr

Heh, so it’s only available when most adults are sleeping? Well done Nintendo!

6. The_Red

Wait, what? I don’t get it. Maybe I’m getting this wrong but IF what I am thinking is right then Nintendo is FUCKING STUPID. Sorry but that’s it.

7. Cobra951

Imagine if they could restrict the hours that you *play* your games, based on such criteria. That’s the kind of control forced online connections would give them, or any of the other console makers.

8. ManuOtaku

Iam confused is this only for the online store acess of the games?, or some sort of locking or restriction to the games i play, i mean i would not play zombie u unless i play it in an specific time?, iam confused if it is the former i dont have to much trouble, if it is the later i do, and big time.

9. absolutezero

Its just on the store Manu.

The little store icons are still present on the store home page but as soon as you select and choose “More Information” you get the pop up with the “Not Available At This Time” text.

I was playing ZombiU about 45 minutes ago and its 1546 right now in the UK so theres no need to worry about that.

10. bitsnark

Totally silly this.

Nintendo have all of the enthusiasm and boundless joy of an infant when it comes to making games, its just a shame that they have the intellect of one when it comes to designing acceptable delivery platforms for those gaming experiences.

11. Mike W

Grow up Nintendo

12. TheDarkWeapon

Wow, what a retarded choice.

13. Da Man

Outrageous, teh deprived hardcore demand teh art.

For once, a good decision on Nintendo’s part. if only MS and Sony would follow.

14. SplatteredHouse

“Wow. Nintendo are more out of touch with the connected world than I thought. This is truly shocking.”

So much truth. It started that they offered the choice, as a convenience, to lock stuff out – and why not? But this is just daft. Nintendo: (Lest we forget) Their priorities, in truth, lie somewhere else other than the end-user experience. :( Why the heck are they so backwards…

How long until the dutiful apology for this gaffe?
    @10: nicely put.

15. Fin

This is absolutely ridiculous.

*waits for people to defend Nintendo*

You’re not serious are you?

16. Dragon246

Me too. Waiting for the ‘positive spin’.

This is the reason many people don’t view ninty as a ‘mature games’ company. They try too much to keep their ‘family friendly’ image intact.

17. foofly

Isn’t this what parental controls are for?

18. Ireland Michael

@15 I think it’s called “trolling”.

This has got to be some sort of temporary measure. If not, this is one console I will be passing on. This makes me absolutely no sense whatsoever.

19. absolutezero

@16 See this is why people think you might be special.

20. Dragon246

You didn’t know it yet? :)

21. Da Man

I think Lolconneur is a tool. I also think he’s a neurotic.

If lolcons can have all the ‘opinions’ they regularly post, I might very well applaud N for trying to maintain a kids frendly image in the dark times of sex mini games.

22. deathm00n

This is horrible for me if I had one, I work all day and go to college at night, so my free hours, to browse content and buy, is at lunch and before leaving home to go to college.

23. polygem

no problem. i will do the job for you dragon n fin. miiverse is so much more fun than xblpsn has ever been. i dont give a fkuc about this. it’s good that nintendo cares about child protection. why that a bad thing you hardcore sissy complainer kids? i am getting so sick of the prototype of the modern ”gamer”. such a bunch of spoiled whining brats pretending they’re mature…

24. monkeygourmet

So, this is only for shop purchases right?

E.g. If I wanted to buy Zombie U before 11pm it wouldn’t let me?

It doesn’t make much sense because I could access the Zombie U community at 4pm, before my Wii U broke.

So it’s alright to look at images of Zombies having there heads caved in and blood spraying everywhere but not to download the game?

Very strange. This smacks of something that will be rectified by the morning, and everyone is blowing out of proportion again.

I don’t know how they can maintain this stance realistically.

25. monkeygourmet

Complains about E-shop prices being to high…

Gets angry when can’t log into E-shop earlier…

??? :D

26. absolutezero

You can’t even view trailers. They have no problem with having the icon with the Beefeater zombie but as soon as you request any sort of further information but it just gives you the pop up and sends you on your way.

Theres no problem with playing the game, or looking through the Miiverse community for the game. Screenshots, drawings etc are all there and fine.

27. monkeygourmet

But can I still draw Penis’s?!!!! :D

28. absolutezero

Oh God yes.

29. Fin

You’re a fucking moron.
    All 18-rated games are blocked from purchase untill 11pm. There is absolutely no upside to this.
    Oh yay, little Timmy can’t purchase 18 rated games (unless he stays up past 11!), but neither can adults who have bought the console

So, in order to buy a game I want, from Nintendo directly, and being legally allowed to buy it, I have to wait until 11pm.

That is fucking insane and there is absolutely no justification for it.
    Having to sign in with an adult account, having to have a credit card on the account, having a password, all that is fine. Blocking the content completely? Fuck. Off.

Your comparison between XBLA/PSN and Miiverse is totally irrelevant. This isn’t about community, this is about purposely stopping people buying content they’re entitled to because WON’T SOMEONE THING OF THE CHILDREN. CAN YOU IMAGINE WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF CHILDREN WERE EXPOSED TO VIOLENCE*?

*Not sex, pretty sure Nintendo don’t allow that on their systems.

30. Old MacDonald

Maybe this is a small hint of what the cloud gaming future might look like?

31. monkeygourmet

Exactly,

Nintendo aren’t even that good at it and they’ve managed this, wait to you see what MS have up their sleeves! :)

On topic:

I bet this will be fixed by next week, then everyone can wash all that sand out of their vagina’s…

32. Fin

Only for Nintendo. Nobody else is stupid enough to do this.

33. monkeygourmet

Loving the rage, keep up! That vein in your forehead isn’t throbbing enough.

34. Fin

Thanks bro!

I’m glad you see this as a problem for everyone over the 18. People like you make sure mature gaming stays in the picture.

35. SplatteredHouse

36. monkeygourmet

I love all this shit.

It’s why sticking to one brand is the most stupid shit ever.

Ill just be enjoying Far Cry 3 on my 360 while this blows over.

It’s like all those Sony bots when the PS3 network shit happened… Boo boo, what will I play on now?!

Remember ladies, games not consoles…

37. Da Man

I have a TV at home I bought, but they don’t show horror movies until 11 pm or something.

38. Fin

TV watershed is 9pm.

39. absolutezero

Mature games

HA

40. polygem

@Fin:

it has to do with Miiverse too, because it is an attitude of Nintendo…the way they handle things. this article from ign (please, i know, they also suck i know i know) – 100% reflects my thoughts about all this:

really do recommend reading it. it´s good.

found another link for you wii u haters :)

you really should take 5 minutes and watch this.

now all i wanted to say about this is said.

41. Fin

No, it’s nothing to do with Miiverse.

I want to buy an 18-rated game from the eShop before 11pm. I can’t.

Where does Miiverse come into that sentence.

42. SplatteredHouse

“Already own the videogame? You can play it. Don’t own the game? Wait until appropriate hours. That attempts to ensure minors can’t purchase anything inappropriate.”

As does adults ensuring that they know what information they’ve left on their machine, and if desired, maintaining the security of their authorisation information. Responsibility! A scary concept, perhaps, but don’t let that usher you from your podium.
    There is no justification to explain what benefit this move conveys – UNLESS Nintendo were to reveal the measures it’s using to get to the point they can tell who is actually playing the 18+ purchased content.

43. absolutezero

Lets play the hypotheicals here.

If you could buy something 18+ from the eShop and pay roughly around £20 more than it costs to buy it online or from an actual shop at around 4pm would you?

If you answer yes to that then I can see why it might be a bit irritating. Its not worth getting rumpled about though, its more than likely just a fault with detecting the parental controls on the system.

44. Fin

Did you read the article? Nintendo responded saying they’ve deliberately restricted purchasing hours.

45. polygem

@41:

A T T I T U D E

for you everything spells

I G N O R A N C E

46. Da Man

#42

You don’t own the system, you own the rights to use the service, provided by it. They aren’t going to consider whether every single individual has some ‘responsibility’ or not. They are going to make it easier to maintain.

Don’t like it? Play another console.

They block the service from selling mature rated content during hours easily accessible to minors. This makes perfect sense.

Nonsense.

Exactly at this point your so called responsibility should take control.

You want it to be easy for you? Oh too bad, sorry about that, they also want it to be easily maintainable.

47. Bomba Luigi

I really like the WiiU, but Dude… My Bones are Old and I need my Sleep. And 11pm to 3am is Sleeptime. Let me make some confirmation that I am over 18 or whatever.

48. xxJPRACERxx

I’m glad I’m not supporting this stupid company anymore!

49. polygem

@48: i am glad about that too. i want my miiverse cool and all.

50. Joe Musashi

First it was green blood in Mortal Kombat and now this?!?!!?

JM

51. monkeygourmet

Lol @Finn

This one really rustled your Jimmy’s! :)

I hope you take such a proactive stance with all the other DRM and digital download bullshit that exists on other platforms too…

*edit : This kind of stuff falls under the same banner for me.

52. monkeygourmet

It wasn’t green blood it was ‘sweat’, get it right! :)

53. monkeygourmet

Be hilarious if games like COD only activated after 9pm due to restrictive content.

Stop all those school brats kicking my arse! ;)

54. Atmey

But I want to have sex in the morning.

55. _LarZen_

Good!

Nintendo has always had children’s best interest in mind and it’s good to see they still do.

Just look at MiiVerse, if that had been on X360 there would be millions of penis drawings and I can only imagine all the crap People would Write.

Nintendo is doing great!

56. Fin

Well I guess if there’re people defending something like this, then they believe what I’m sure everyone else is thinking:

A) Nintendo have no idea how to do online commerce
    B) Nintendo consoles are primarily aimed at people under the age of 18

Please explain how DRM is in any way related to this.

Moderation is a completely separate issue. Blocking 18+ content is basically censorship.

I swear Nintendo could launch the Wii as the Wii 2 in a different box, and some of you would say it was the best thing since sliced bread.
    Have the balls to come out and say when a company you support is wrong. If not, you’re the worst kind of fanboy.

57. monkeygourmet

I just blanket anything I deem as media control under the same blanket, it’s easier that way.

58. _LarZen_

Blocking 18+ content on the eShop for children is censorship I like. Most parents have no Clue what their children can experience in a modern gaming system.

Sure it’s irritating for us adults but it’s a “price” I have no problem With as long as it’s for the childrens best interest.

And how hard is it for us adults to buy that content later anyways?

That said I hope they will add a way to verify that you are 18+.

59. absolutezero

For someone thats so upset that they can’t buy adult games on a console you sure are acting pretty childishly about it.

60. monkeygourmet

This

Also, I thought Nintendo didn’t have any ‘adult’ games?

61. Kabby

This is fine IF it is in conjunction with parental settings on the WiiU.

A blanket banning on sales of mature games until after 11pm is retardation on a massive scale.

62. Dragon246

Keep up the work guys! Maybe ninty should stop hiring lawyers now.
    Next up,
    Ninty bans online gaming, saying its “too mature” for kids.
    Ninty should really get over its 80s hangover. Industry has moved over, but ninty hasn’t.

63. zinc

Well I guess this is another reason not to get a WiiU, for all those folk who were never going to get a WiiU…

But it’s not that big a deal really. Staying up till 2301 to download a game isn’t such a hardship for an adult surely?

64. polygem

actually the more i read the wiiu haters comments here the more i am happy that those people wont buy wiiu’s…i still recommend to you guys to check out the links in my last post though.

@58,59,60: exactly.

65. OlderGamer

A couple of things:

Games can also be bought in a store. Not as if they can only be purchased on eShop.

Second, this is a Nintendo Europe desicion. Nintendo central didn’t do this. Sometimes dumb things happen from region heads. I recall Sega America investing and launching a 32X mere months before Saturn was unvieled.

If you think about places like Germany, thier culture, and recent shootings in schools…it is not that hard to see how something like this could sounds like a good idea to someone with the descion to make it happen.

That being said it is a dumb move. I think anyways. But not all places are as liberaly minded as the UK. I would imagine that an idea like this one would make sense to some politicly and socialy sensitive minded people in Aussie as well.

I don’t think it will last very long. Gamers won’t like it. Pubs trying to sell their games won’t like it. And, in truth it is bad press for Nintendo as a whole. Gamers will say it proves they are out of touch, and the people that would be impressed don’t have a vested impact in the situation to begin with.

I would write Nintendo, and wait for it to blow over.

66. mistermogul

I love Nintendo as much as the next gamer but some of their decisions absolutely baffle the crap out of me.

No downloading adult games until 11pm!!! Is it April 1st already?

Nintendo need to start treating their customers with a bit of trust and respect. This seems so patronising…

Do NOE not realise there is a whole generation of gamers that grew up on the NES, SNES and N64 that are adults and they are alienating with this?

It’s ridiculous.

67. Kabby

Nintendo Europe’s HQ is still in Germany, right?

68. _LarZen_

Im just guesing now, but maybe…just maybe they think that the kids that played NES back in the days now are adults With kids of their own and that they would want their children the same safe children friendly enviroment.

It baffels me that a adult dont understand and respects Nintendo for doing this. But then again maybe most People that are complaining aint adults or think longer then their nose…I dunno.

69. Erthazus

Great idea.

Now, Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo should ban every kid in 18+ rated games.
    When i played Red Dead Redemption multiplayer on my PS3, 95% of gamers were spoiled little brats that cried all over the place.

Less chilren, less corridor shooters.

70. Fin

I swear, if Nintendo came out and said “Fuck you consumers, no online play ever”, some of you people would say “Yeah I never liked online anyway”, “Yeah there were too many kids on it”, “I prefer single player”.

I don’t understand you. They can have a safe, friendly environment and put age verification (with an account linked to a credit card) on 18+ content. That would work fine. Blocking it COMPLETELY, so not even adults can access it until specified times? I really, really don’t understand how anyone can think this is positive for consumers.

Bro (I’m not antagonising you for once), it’s that nobody can download 18+ games until 11pm, even adults!

71. polygem

i am absolutely with _LarZen_ here…to me this SERIOUSLY isn´t a big deal…censored game content is, like the green blood mentioned here. this 11 o clock thingy really doesn´t bother me at all.

72. polygem

@70: because families dont need to bother about several accounts or sub accounts if it’s handled like this. it’s always kids friendly this way. if you’re really hardcore you are allowed to stay up until 11 anyway;) again, fin, i just recommend reading that ign article i linked, it describes nintendos approach about online pretty good.

73. Phoenixblight

@72 No need for multiple account just need to have a password that validate that its indeed the account holder driving the system. Herp Derp. Man, people and their fanboyism. These type of systems have been in place for a while. Nintendo just like to be archaic and make the online system to really feel tacked on.

74. Fin

Right, I’m over 18. I don’t have any kids. I buy a Wii U. I can’t buy 18+ content until 11pm.
    Please explain why automatically locking the content, regardless of user, and not having a pin code or using parental settings, makes the experience better for me.

I’ve got a job, I don’t want to stay up till 11 just to buy a fucking game I should be able to buy at any time of the day. When I was 16 I was more likely to stay up until 2 or 3. Now, fuckin’ hell I wanna be in bed reading by 11, not in front of the tv.
    I play my games primarily at weekends. Oh, I want to download that new 18+ WiiWare U (whatever it’s called) game, something like Limbo, on a Saturday morning? Fuck off, wait till 11pm. Are you serious?

How the fuck can you defend this? How can you say this is better than allowing adults to buy whenever they want? If they banned all 18-rated films on Netflix until 11pm, would that be ok too?

Jesus christ, can you not see why this is a bad thing for the consumer. Nintendo is telling people when they can buy games.
    Even if you ignore the THINK OF THE CHILDREN attitude, how can this be of benefit to Nintendo? You think third parties are going to like this? Oh, Assassin’s Creed 3 and Mass Effect 3? Sorry, you can only buy those off the store after 11.

This is honestly the most ridiculous decision I’ve ever seen a games company make, and that’s saying a lot.

I flicked through the article, saved it to my kindle to read later. It said a big load of fuck all about mature games.

Jesus fuck.

75. polygem

@73: broken record: read my link.
    i own all 3 consoles. no platform fanboy – just loving games.
    no need for passwords this way. i personally hate passwords…now that you name it: unbelieveable that msony force me to use passwords. Rrrrraaaaggee!!!

76. Kabby

Fin is right. This move by Nintendo, or should I say ‘Nintendo of Germany’, is all kinds of stupid.

77. Fin

Right, just for you I’m going to read that entire article now.

Yeah, only the thing was I said a pin code, not a password.
    Unbelievable! Imagine having to password protect an online account that might have a credit card on it! That’s CRAZY. That’s the real issue here tbh.

78. Fin

Fuck, the Wii U doesn’t even have parties? It’s like the looked at the mistakes made by Sony with the PS3 and said y’know what, lets repeat them.

It’s a good article, but I disagree with basically everything he says.
    - I can play multiplayer with my friends in a party on Xbox. All of them live in different countries, but when we play games together it’s like we’re in the same room. That is not a bad thing.
    - I don’t think the privacy thing is relevant, there’s lots of privacy settings on Xbox (I don’t know about PS3).
    -The art thing is nice, I don’t like it being moderated before publishing, I think that introduced too big a delay in the pipeline. I do like the idea of it being like Twitter – you can follow people and such – but I don’t have issue with moderation after publishing.
    - Achievements make me finish games, I think I only have two (of about 100, excluding games from Q4 this year) that I’ve not completed the singleplayer of – this compares to probably about half of PS2/Xbox games.

And y’know how much was in any was relevant to the blocking of purchase of 18+ games until 11pm?
    Absolutely nothing.

79. Ireland Michael

As someone who usually supports a lot of things Nintendo does, typically defends them, and has a lot of respect for the quality of their games… I can’t believe anyone would legitimately defend this decision.

I do not know of any law that requires this to be necessary. The whole point of parental settings is to block access to this sort of content. If I sent my kids’ profiles up on the 360 correctly, they simply can’t access this kind of content full stop.

If any other company or service did this, the outrage would be insane. Watersheds don’t apply to the Internet and hardware, last time I checked, and they shouldn’t. The thinking of the children argument doesn’t hold any weight, because a parent should be monitoring their kids’ activities anyway. Just because Jerry Springer is on early in the day doesn’t mean I’m going to let my kids watch that garbage.

80. polygem

i dont even have kids, still i don’t have the slightest problem with this. believe it or not. to make this clear, i like my 360 and the ps3 but i just ADORE the superfriendly and charming approach nintendo has with their online. that’s why i linked that article, i think it’s an attitude and that’s why it doesn’t bother me. because i like that attitude, i am sick of the overly competitive off showing, trophy, achievment whoring, payed service, get ads for free stuff (though live is worth the cash….but now we have miiverse. it fits me and my taste so much more, i just didn’t know yet!) i can get all the content i want, instantly, anywhere. it’s all about instant desire satisfaction everywhere…so i cannot do that on the wiiu? i understand if people don’t like that, but in all honesty, less can be much more sometimes. it might be a step or two back in online services, but at the same time miiverse adds so much more to it, makes it a unique and modern, yet totally different and new experience while not trying to mimick msony’s approach. it’s refreshing. this content timed blocking issue, honestly, it doesn’t bother me, i think it will soon go away anyway, but if it wont, i couldn’t care less. i think nintendos online is great. it’s the best experience i had in ages. i hate twitter and facebook…miiverse i like. that’s all i can say about this. give ninty some time to sort out the details, but what they delivered here is just great and it adds a lot to a fun online experience.

81. Ireland Michael

@81 My kids both have Xbox Live accounts and neither of them ever have to deal with 90% of what you just said because the device has proper parental settings. They can’t access content above their age ratings and they can only add and talk to people with our approval. Problem solved.

The problem with this is that they’re not only trying to patent kids, but thr adults as well. This is the equivelant of going into a movie store and being told “Nope, you can’t buy this mature rated movie until after the watershed”. It’s in the privacy of my own home! Why do the fuck do you care?!

This doesn’t “protect” anyone. It’s just creates a logistic nightmare for any developer of mature rated games. And this is coming from not only an avid Nintendo supporter, but someone who doesn’t particularly enjoy ultra violence in games to begin with. If I wanted to be mothered, I would move back home to my parents. I don’t need a company doing the job for me.

82. polygem

like i said, sure, you can look at it from that perspective…

83. Fin

To all of us, your perspective appears to be
    I LOVE NINTENDO! NINTENDO ARE AWESOME! NINTENDO CAN DO NO WRONG! YOU MIGHT THINK THEY’VE FUCKED UP BUT NINTENDO HAVE NEVER DONE ANYTHING BAD!

When it took four months between the US and European launch of Smash Bros Brawl, did you think that was a good thing? Did you like friend codes?

84. zinc

How this thread reads:

WiiU Owners, “So What, no problem”.

Everyone else, “This is a stupid idea”.

I’m all for defending your purchase guys, but has been said already, theirs better ways for Ninty to handle this.

85. polygem

Fin, i told you before: yes i like nintendo. like described in that ign piece i too think nintendos online approach is great and it truly adds something to the world of gaming, no i didn’t like friend codes but they didn’t bother me either because back then nintendo wasnt really about online and that was ok. the wii didnt really need it. there are indeed not many things i dislike about nintendo, but what can i do? i am honest about this, that’s just how it is, doesn’t make me a fanboy… 360 has parties, which i almost never used, in all those years. often i feel annoyed if i get an invite. i don’t really want to talk much online, because i talk all day long in my job…It’s outdated that i cannot draw stuff on ps360 and that i cannot upload and comment screenshots(on the fly). there wasn’t any ingame ”heads up”message with a screenshot of a headless zombi the last time i lost a team slayer halo match (on 360 it would be ”tbaged! you suck!”,anyway;)…see what i mean? so why arent YOU complaining about your 360 missing those great features? probably because you don’t know how cool those are, or because you personally don’t care much about these features. that’s not automatically making you a fanboy. i prefer the ninty style, yep. do i hate the 360 now? NOT AT ALL and why should i? just wish i could draw you a master chief christmas card, that’s all.

@zinc: please check out my youtube link in an older post and try not to take it toooooo serious.

there’s no need in ”defending” the purchase. buying the wiiu was one the best videogame related purchases i did in a good while.

86. Dragon246

Its really hard for some people to admit ninty has done something wrong.
    And also, how did miiverse enter the debate? Only used by ninty defenders to deflect from the topic.
    Also poly, you offered to buy the game for me, but VOILA! ninty accounts are tied to a console, how ridiculous is that?
    Also using the internet favourite “I have all the consoles blah blah” to justify a stupid decision, tell a lot about how defensive they are getting regarding their purchase.
    Just shows how backward and bad ninty is with online.

87. OlderGamer

Going to say it Again. You can buy mature games at a store. What part of this makes people think games are only buyable online?

And not all WiiU owners think this is a good idea. But this WiiU owner thinks that a lot of nonWiiU owners are up in arms over something that doesn’t even effect them. It would be like me bitching about GTA. Power Hint: I don’t play GTA.

I think NoE was influanced by German culture. Poly, don’t you live in Germany? Maybe it is why he isn’t too bothered about it. Or maybe he enjoys his WiiU and understands he can still retail, and doesn’t see the mountain only the moehill? Perspective is everything folks.

I fully expect this to be reversed.

88. polygem

yep i live in germany and while i hate game content being cut. this really IS something i do not care much about. i understand that some people are pissed about it but it’s not an issue for me. what can i do? i also believe it wont stay, they’ll change it.
    @dragon: compared to microsoft, sony have been very very bad with their online. just to refresh that for you. they are still not even close to xbl and they are directly competing with that service. nintendos approach is different and it feels more modern to me than the actual state of xblpsn. why is it so hard for you to believe that this is my honest opinion? miiverse has to do with this debate because it shows nintendos approach for online. there’s no downvoting, no mario cocks, no trophy/achievements or stats show off and so on…now there’s (in some areas), blocked mature content until 11 in the evening. you can criticize this, even call it censorship. what all this does though, and that’s a plus in my book: it makes the overall experience of going online on the wiiu a joy. i was waiting for this without even knowing. again, nintendo nailed it imho…

89. Dragon246

Sony is very bad with online… that is why fifa sells more on ps3.
    Sorry dude, that time has passed. It all depends on where the community and friends are now. That is why in eu, fifa sells more on ps3 and in us, cod sells more on 360.
    Also, ninty isn’t even in the league on psn/xbl.
    Food for thought, wiiu is a new console, and no one here except wiiu/ninty lovers have defended this awful move. Doesn’t take too long to guess how wiiu will sell.

90. polygem

wiiu launched a few weeks ago. sony was bad at launch with their online. they catched up…a bit;)
    nintendo offers a completley different style with their online. maybe not the same league but in some areas it already really is better, or maybe not ‘better’, but more fun to use and that’s what counts the most. at least for me…

91. polygem

wiiu will sell well. that you do not believe this only shows, yet again, that you have problems to see things from the perspective of others. some will embrace this different online model, even if YOU (think) you wont like it. my guess is: a lot of people will embrace this BECAUSE it is different. ‘another league’? yea, maybe but in a positive way. nintendo will do fine. i really do worry so much more about sony and trust me, i am not happy about this.

92. Erthazus

It is different lol.

A semi shitty PC box with 2004 hardware and with kitchen sink that does not have multitouch option is different these days.

Lol just lol, poly. But whatever really because you also think that Halo is a work of jesus. So Okay.

93. polygem

you too erth: try to think out of the box that is our heads…people do like different stuff.example: my girlfriend just said yesterday while playing nsmbu coop on the touchpad: ‘thank god this isn’t multitouch it would kill me to play this’. true story. see? i know you do care about having the best tech your money can buy and thats absolutely ok. but to me this is not important. it never was. i want fun with the games i play, nothing else and yes, because of that i think halo is one of the greatest videogame franchises ever created. i think jesus would have chosen a different setting but then…maybe not.

94. Erthazus

But it is not different, Poly.

If you have the iPad, i’m sure as hell that you are done with this console’s innovation.
    What matters – GAMES.

If new Zelda will come out or… Final Fantasy, or Mario Galaxy or Metroid. That’s what matters and that’s what will sell this console to.

95. polygem

totally agree wit the games part. it still is different, because you have 2 screens. for coop this is great, for some clever single player ideas it can be great too…in the end it’s all about the games though. yep.

96. Da Man

Well, at least polygem isn’t a deprived 26 years old student buying computer toys off his parents’ money who for some reason truly thinks playing videogames makes him qualified to argue about graphics frameworks..

In all fairness, N (and others) should start filtering insane people.

Btw polygem, he’s lying. He never played RdR with those ‘kids’. Ask yourself, would a person with that level of communications be able to use a mic (more so that PS3 don’t come with one).. Seriously, normal people have trouble using a mic in non native tongue.

97. Fin

Wtf, this is nothing to do with Nintendo’s online system (which, while Miiverse is a nice idea, it’s missing so much functionality compared to Xlive).

I cannot buy 18+ Wii U games on the shop until 11pm.
    How is that a good thing for me as a consumer?
    How is it a good thing for third parties?

98. OlderGamer

Fin, what is your Nintendo Network ID? I will add you.

To answer your questions:

You can buy 18+ games at the store(and prolly for less money)

It is good for consumers that want a friendly, less DudeBro online experience. By focusing on a more family friendly(and mature/grown up) offering it ripples through out the comunity.

It isn’t a good thing for thrid parties, and that is why it will be removed, I think.

99. monkees19

@ #84

I am a Wii U owner.

I find this stupid as all hell. I work during those hours. Could you imagine if they told me, essentially “You can’t play our M rated games but twice a week for 4 hours” I would flip my lid