Planetside 2 boss goes on cheater head-hunt, calls banned player “scumbag”

Wednesday, 5th December 2012 08:53 GMT By Dave Cook

Planetside 2 boss John Smedley has promised a aggressive war on cheaters currently active in SOE’s sprawling MMOFPS. He’s even called one banned player a “scumbag” over Twitter. Get the facts below.

Well damn.

It’s no secret that hackers and cheaters are plaguing Planetside 2 at the moment, and that SOE has been trying to remedy the situation. Smedley went on an all-out Twitter attack against hackers last night, stressing that the studio knows who is cheating and is now taking measures to bring them down.

The threats then got a little eerie about here:

It is refreshing to see SOE taking steps to remedy the issue however, although it does raise questions about why safeguards weren’t tighter to begin with. Banning the user Haruhi was proof that SOE has the power to block players, but will this be deterrent enough to stop the issue spreading further?

We’ll reach out to SOE and Smedley for comment on the matter, but the developer seems confident in its banning abilities:

Have you been a victim of Planetside 2 hacking/cheating? Let us know your woes below.

Thanks Eurogamer.

1. roadkill

Haha!! I don’t like the game but I love this guy! :)

2. OwnedWhenStoned

The game is great but it is full of cheaters. In my opinion it’s ruining online gaming. I stopped playing BF3 because of it, and now just play single payer FPS instead. It’s a shame, but it’s nice to see a company actually doing something about it.

3. Jonabob87

Well the game doesn’t run any kind of anti-cheating software at the moment so I don’t know if this is worthy of commendation as it’s a problem they’ve allowed to exist.

On the other hand it’s good to see them take a hard-ball attitude to cheaters, banning them outright. Of course it’s an F2P game so people will just log out and make a new free account but at least they’re trying.

It’s on Steam now, so maybe they can try and incorporate VAC, at the very least Punkbuster should be involved.

4. El_MUERkO

“a little eerie”?

No! A little awesome!

5. DSB

John Smedley is one of very few gaming execs that has retained the ability to talk like a human being.

Good stuff.

@2 Yeah, BF3 is pretty bad. I think they just started issueing bans for a common cheat the other day, and I swear something like every third or fourth guy to join a server I was on got banned immediately.

It just makes it even more annoying that they don’t have killcams. I don’t assume anybody’s cheating unless they do something superhuman, so now I’m wondering how many “good” players are really just aimbots.

6. El_MUERkO

A note of “DURRRRRRRRRRRRRR!” from this story.

SOE locked the thread.

Because locking threads where people are venting ends well for everyone, ALL THE TIME!