Persona 4 Golden is the Vita’s highest-rated game

Wednesday, 5th December 2012 21:44 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Atlus has gleefully announced that Persona 4 Golden is the Vita’s most critically-acclaimed title.

The PS2 JRPG remake can boast of the honour on both Metacritic and Gamerankings, and for those who like their assessments less formal, seems to be social media’s favourite, too. An acclaim trailer – one of those ones where they pour critical quotes over still images – follows.

Persona 4 Golden is out now in the US and is expected to reach Europe and beyond sometime in February.

Thanks, PlayStation Blog

1. woe

The highest rated Vita game is a port.

2. Erthazus

It’s a port first of all.

3. SpinachPuffs

@1 So is the 3DS’ (Ocarina of Time)
    Good games are good games.

4. Omegabalmung

@3 Damn it you beat me to it >.<

5. Hunam

It’s an extended port :P

6. CyberMarco

I don’t get why some people get so upset about ports and remakes of old games. If you have already played the good for you, these remakes are for people who missed the original game when it was released or want to replay the game with some extra futures. I for sure, welcome these games.

7. DLTDawnlight

P4G is like the OOT3D of the Vita. A port of one of the best games of all time.

If you dislike this game then you’re one of the following:
    * A sci-fi game junkie who hates any games from Japan.
    * A 3DS Fanboy

8. Heartfyre

As far as I can tell, it not only has the highest aggregate rating of any game on the Vita…but of any other game this year regardless of platform. 94% on Metacritic to Mass Effect 3′s 93%. Is there anything higher?

9. Hunam

Third highest for this year: http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/year/all?view=detailed&sort=desc

10. absolutezero

New Chie though…

11. RaisinBran

You’re wrong, Dawnlight. I love anime, I adore the quirkiness of the Japanese, JRPGs are my favorite type of games, and I own both a 3DS and a PSV. I played Persona 3 and after 40 hours grew tired of the game and everything that had to do with it and yet somehow I grinded it out and finished it at a little over 60 hours. I don’t care how good Persona 4 is, after playing 3 I will not play 4, especially since there is more to do in 4 than 3. I found 3 to be too drawn out, despite the engaging game mechanics. I don’t want to suffer the same in 4.

12. DLTDawnlight

#11

Oh you wouldn’t believe how many people debate whether P3 or P4 is better. I thought P3 was the easiest game to grind exp. Especially when you unlock Heaven’s Gate where it’s EXP heaven.

If I may ask, what made the game boring for you?

13. OnionPowder

@9 The 2 games above it have 5 and 6 reviews. I don’t think you should count anything with less than 15, maybe even 20.

14. NeoSquall

@1 COD: BO Declassified is a port, a botched one too.

Persona 4 Godeln is more than a port, it’s better game than the original, bigger, prettier (somewhat) and even more stuff to do.

I don’t see what is wrong with it being the highest rated PS Vita game, I’m more surprised that Sony didn’t see it coming and wanted to market it more than the other supposed “Hits” for the console.

15. Dragon246

Wrong. This is the highest rated game this year. The ios game on first has 91 (check its page) and walking dead series (complete) has only 5 reviews (too less). P4G has 22 reviews, a very respectable number and very high user score too.

16. RaisinBran

@ 12: The constant grinding made the game repetitive, especially going into dungeon after dungeon. Also I think the game went out of its way to extend its length, not letting me do stuff until a certain amount of time has passed. I’m definitely looking forward to Persona 5 in hopes that there is more creativity in regards to dungeon crawling and the story, but I’m staying away from 4.

17. captain_2

@ 16 I’m so glad I’m not the only one who was tired of Tartarus. But I’ll tell you this game surpasses Persona 3 in every way. The characters are much more developed and interesting, the dungeon crawling and persona compendium is so much better. Heck its now like collecting and fusing pokemon(if you could fuse pokemon). There’s actually only a few floors now per dungeon and once its done you don’t have to go back and you can leave and come back to the floor anytime. Grinding is not really an issue because you can easily receive experience in this game and faster than Persona 3. In Persona 3 there were such times when there was literally nothing to do than dungeon crawl. In Persona 4 Golden you can dungeon crawl for 2-3 days (in-game) that’s all then complete social links go to the big city, do many events, e.g halloween, new years, christmas, valentine’s day, skiing and so much more. After you’ve completed a dungeon which range from 8-10 floors each and happen every month or two you really don’t have to go revisit them if you don’t want to, I hate level grinding as well and I can’t recommend this game enough, heck I am the biggest Final Fantasy Fan particular 9 and I think this game is better than it.

18. captain_2

@ 16 If you still don’t want to play it, then at least watch the anime a bit and get a little info on what’s it about. The anime is pretty good but it can’t compare.